Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Winter Tires - Toyo Open Country WLT1?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-29-2014, 10:19 AM   #1
vsTerminus has much to be proud ofvsTerminus has much to be proud ofvsTerminus has much to be proud ofvsTerminus has much to be proud ofvsTerminus has much to be proud ofvsTerminus has much to be proud ofvsTerminus has much to be proud ofvsTerminus has much to be proud of

vsTerminus's Tacoma Gallery
Winter Tires - Toyo Open Country WLT1?

I'm looking for a set of dedicated winter tires for my '08 4x4. Does anyone have any experience with the Toyo Open Country WLT1 winter tire?

I have Toyo Open Country M/Ts (265/75R16 stock suspension) on right now, but they are not a good choice for the Canadian winter. I like them, however, which is why I am looking at Toyo again for winter tires.

The WLT1s sound like a good choice for up here in Winnipeg. Pretty much every road I drive during the winter is coated with a layer of hard-packed snow and ice. It's not uncommon for me to be driving these same roads in up to 6 inches of snow before the plow gets out.

Also worth noting, I have a baby on the way and want her and my wife to be safe in the vehicle no matter who is driving.

I've also been looking at the Toyo Observe GSi-5, Cooper M+S, and Bridgestone Blizzaks, but am open to recommendations.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:05 PM   #2
foxfire235 is on a distinguished road
Name: Stephen
foxfire235's Tacoma Gallery
Lots of people run Blizzaks up here in Alaska and love them, but I have no experience with your other tires.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:52 AM   #3
bdbrown is on a distinguished road
Name: Benjamin
bdbrown's Tacoma Gallery
I'm also in winnipeg, and my experience tells me that a well siped snow and ice tire is the best traction, compared with studded, I'm stuck between yokohama iceGuards and toyo GSI5's.. It's another $100 for the toyos, but I like the sipe pattern and want to give it a shot, I've been running yokohama fir the last two winters.