Notices

Are these tires done for (cracks)?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-01-2014, 10:39 PM   #1
parkp81 is on a distinguished road

Name: Fil
parkp81's Tacoma Gallery
Are these tires done for (cracks)?

BFG Rugged Trails tires, that came on a set of wheels I purchased. Tires have cracks on the tread area. The sidewalls look ok. I treated the sidewalls with 303 Aerospace Protectant. The tire date on the sidewall indicate it was made in 2010. Can I drive on these for a few months until I get some new tires? What are your thoughts.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:09 PM   #2
Styx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Petty Officer
Name: Terrance
Styx586's Tacoma Gallery
I'd say they're drivable... If it's a 2010 tire it should be ok. Ive seen much worse cracking than that... I'd look into getting a new set for sure but you will be ok for now. As long as there aren't any signs of tread separation or sidewall damage.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:27 PM   #3
TXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TXTaco13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkp81 View Post
Have 4 bfg rugged fails that came on a set of wheels i purchased. Tires have cracks on the tread area. The sidewalls look ok. I treated the sidewalls with 303 Aerospace Protectant. The tire date on the sidewall indicate it was made in 2010. Can i drive on these for a few months until i get some new tires? What are your thoughts.
I have a set that are doing the same thing, but are newer. It's really early for dry rot on the tires I have. Took it to Discount tire to show them, they said it's dry rot but may not be bad enough for replacement. Have a shop look at them.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:09 AM   #4

parkp81's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx586 View Post
I'd say they're drivable... If it's a 2010 tire it should be ok. Ive seen much worse cracking than that... I'd look into getting a new set for sure but you will be ok for now. As long as there aren't any signs of tread separation or sidewall damage.
I thought this was pretty bad in my eyes, but I can't imagine driving on something much worse .
Old 08-02-2014, 08:11 AM   #5

parkp81's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTaco13 View Post
I have a set that are doing the same thing, but are newer. It's really early for dry rot on the tires I have. Took it to Discount tire to show them, they said it's dry rot but may not be bad enough for replacement. Have a shop look at them.
How old are your tires? Can you post pics of your dry rot tire?

Yea, I actually will probably be going to a local tire shop to get the TPMS ID's off the sensors. I guess I can ask at them.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:40 PM   #6

parkp81's Tacoma Gallery
So I emailed BFG and got a response back from them. Sounds like that warranty won't cover it.

Tread cracking is commonly related to ozone interaction with rubber. All tires will develop some cracking as they age. Depending on the severity of the cracking, it may only be a cosmetic issue that does not affect tire performance or safety. Cosmetic ozone or weather cracking in the tread is not covered under the limited warranty.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:02 PM   #7
TXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TXTaco13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkp81 View Post
So I emailed BFG and got a response back from them. Sounds like that warranty won't cover it.

Tread cracking is commonly related to ozone interaction with rubber. All tires will develop some cracking as they age. Depending on the severity of the cracking, it may only be a cosmetic issue that does not affect tire performance or safety. Cosmetic ozone or weather cracking in the tread is not covered under the limited warranty.
That's b.s. I wonder how bad it has to be before it's covered. I'll tell you right now, if I have to buy a new set of tires because BFG says it's not bad enough for replacement, and another tire shop says they need to be replaced, somebody's going to get an earful I guess they don't call them "rugged fails" for nothing. I'll try to post some pics up.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:08 PM   #8
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Run them.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:16 PM   #9
evile is one of the sharper tools in the shedevile is one of the sharper tools in the shedevile is one of the sharper tools in the shedevile is one of the sharper tools in the shedevile is one of the sharper tools in the shedevile is one of the sharper tools in the shedevile is one of the sharper tools in the shedevile is one of the sharper tools in the shedevile is one of the sharper tools in the shedevile is one of the sharper tools in the shedevile is one of the sharper tools in the shed

evile's Tacoma Gallery
My generals are the same way. If your sidewalls are not cracked don't worry
Old 08-04-2014, 04:45 PM   #10

parkp81's Tacoma Gallery
Yea, looks like im going to just run them and get new ones before winter.

Thanks for your feedback.