Notices

Not another tire question... yea it is!

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-03-2014, 07:38 AM   #1
NashvilleTaco is on a distinguished road
NashvilleTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Not another tire question... yea it is!

Hi all,

I will be picking up my Taco after some paperwork issues and things go through. It has the TRD offroad package and though I like the look of the BFG Rugged Trails, I also know they have a reputation for poor traction in snow/ice/slick roads.

Has anyone had any luck negotiating for an upgrade to say, BFG AT KO's from the dealership as PART of the sales price of the car? I did not do a lot of negotiating b/c I use USAA car buying service, but it couldn't hurt to ask. Otherwise, I will have to wait until the RT's wear out until buying new tires.

Thanks! Great forum.
Attached Thumbnails
Not another tire question... yea it is!-truck.jpg  
Old 08-03-2014, 06:25 PM   #2
Merry Christmas, ya filthy animal
AndyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
AndyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Hey man,
I'd definitely try negotiating, you never know what could happen. Just make sure you come up with a solid reason for the switch - sounds like you do though. Traction problems aren't fun. If not, you can always try these: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodyear-W...70R17/11983163

They're pretty cheap, aggressive looking tires. Although they are exclusively from walmart, I have them on my Taco and they're great. This review swears by them: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...rs-review.html

However, if you really want the KO's, and the dealership won't budge, waiting isn't too horrible.

Hope this helped!
Old 08-03-2014, 06:40 PM   #3
Navar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Navar's Tacoma Gallery
Its best to negotiate before you sign a deal.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:54 PM   #4
karmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Trevor
karmatp's Tacoma Gallery
Nice work on the TRD Off Road 4x4, wonderful truck.

As far as the tires, just take them off within a couple of weeks and you will get good money for them. I sold mine for $400 within a week on CL and went out and purchased some Cooper ATP's which are pretty sweet. Cost me a couple of hundred more with the warranty and certs.

I also ended up buying new rims within a couple of weeks of new tires but that is a different story. I have had my truck for 2 months and I am finally satisfied after many little mods.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:46 PM   #5
NashvilleTaco is on a distinguished road
NashvilleTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Great advice. I will do my best to negotiate for some BFG ATs and if not may try to sell the rugged trails on craigs list. Some of this comes from the fact that after it comes home, the boss in the house resists extra expenses for a while and its best to have it rolled into the initial expense.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:52 PM   #6
Merry Christmas, ya filthy animal
AndyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
AndyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTaco View Post
Great advice. I will do my best to negotiate for some BFG ATs and if not may try to sell the rugged trails on craigs list. Some of this comes from the fact that after it comes home, the boss in the house resists extra expenses for a while and its best to have it rolled into the initial expense.
Best of luck!
Old 08-04-2014, 07:39 AM   #7
karmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shedkarmatp is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Trevor
karmatp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTaco View Post

Yea, I get it. My wife sounds just like yours but I explained it like this. If I get a nail in one of the Rugged Trails, I am sol. I will have no warranty or replacement. Then I will only have 3 tires to sell because when I replace the OEM tires, I will not put BFG's back on the truck. Also, the Coppers had a rebate and they will last 30,000 miles longer. Now, if something happens to my tire, I just drive into Discount Tire and get a new tire.

You see, in the end, we saved money buying new tires right away. That made perfect sense to me and my wife understood also.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:41 AM   #8
TacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
TacoBurrito07's Tacoma Gallery
This is totally off topic but where are you in Nashville? You should check out the Tennessee thread
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sou...ml#post8995437