1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best tire under $150/each for a TRD Off Road

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Being Frank, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Aug 13, 2014 at 9:47 PM
    Being Frank

Being Frank [OP] Member

Member:
    Mid Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Dbl cab TRD Offroad
    Yeah sorry, another tire thread. I've looked at probably 20 of them here on TW and I still have to ask. My Tacoma double cab with the off road package has 43K miles and what I believe to be the original tires, which have given up the good fight. Worn to the tread bars, and one is leaking with too little tread to have a shop patch/plug.

I would like to keep the tire purchase under $600. I drive 3 miles to work, all at speeds under 35mph, but I do take the truck out of town running up about 100 miles per weekend on the highway, sometimes trips of up to 800miles. I do not do any "off roading", but I do drive in snow every winter (22inches here last year), and in fields when I go shooting long range rifle. And we get a lot of rain, on not very well maintained highways with puddles which can give some nays hydroplaning (no rock crawling, no mud pits, etc, just soft mud and this is pretty infrequently).

Any suggestions in the stock 265/70/16? I can get the General Grabber AT2 at our local Walmart for $133/tire. I do like the looks of tires that don't look like they came off a rental car, but if the best tire is pretty plain looking I'd probably go with function over form.

I used to just look up the "best" tire and buy it, but when working with a budget I'm not sure how to pick the "best" tire for my application.

If you are tired of tire threads, sorry. If you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate the input.

2. Aug 13, 2014 at 9:56 PM
    TacoMitch93

TacoMitch93 Tasty Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Nova Scotia, Canada eh
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5
    I'm not exactly sure what tire prices are like where you're from, but I personally think the best all around tire is the BFG A/T. I know lots of people who run them in the snow, I don't find them loud on the highway and they're pretty decent off road (I know you said you don't do anything like that, just stating). They're about 300 a tire (again I know its over what you said, but I don't know your market down there)

My father runs Toyo Open Country's on his Tundra, they're more of a street tire, and they wouldn't do good in the snow or in any type of soft mud situation. Really good for highway/city driving though

3. Aug 13, 2014 at 9:58 PM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  4. Aug 13, 2014 at 10:00 PM
    tylershane17

tylershane17 Back to Back World War Champions

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Northwest Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD OFF ROAD DCSB
    Brushguard, Lift.
  5. Aug 13, 2014 at 10:08 PM
    skisailbike

skisailbike Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado/Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '14 4x4 DCSB OffRoad
    Icon 2.5 ET coilovers, LR UCAs, Dakars, Icon 2.0 RR ET Rear Shocks
    There are a lot of members who rag on others for starting new threads, but there are also a lot of newer members who like to be part of the conversation and help out. For under $150, a couple I would look at the Cooper ATP or AT3 or the Hankook Dynapro ATM. All good quality tires that will look right at home on your Tacoma. I have the Cooper AT3 in 275/70 R17, and I am really happy after 12,000 miles. We get a lot of snow where I live (over 300 inches per year) and I have driven plenty of highway miles in the rain, and I haven't had any concerns yet with their performance. Good luck!

6. Aug 13, 2014 at 10:11 PM
    doorsidedown

doorsidedown Well-Known Member

Member:
    +1 on the cooper at3. I had them on my ford ranger for years. I'm actually looking forward to my stock tires wearing out so I can throw these on.

7. Aug 14, 2014 at 6:46 AM
    Being Frank

Being Frank [OP] Member

Member:
    Mid Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Dbl cab TRD Offroad
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm looking at reviews of the suggested tires now. The coopers are looking pretty good, especially considering the price.

8. Aug 14, 2014 at 9:20 PM
    blazze2005

blazze2005 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Pre-Runner Sport
    Fuel Off-Road Octane Wheels,Yokohama Geolander ATS 265/65/17.Grillcraft,Borla Exhaust,Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover,Pop n Lock Tailgate Security,Custom Wet Okle TRD Seat Covers,Catch-All Matts,Gatorback Belt,Shorty Antenna,Toyota Bed Matt,Sirius Radio,Vent Sades,20% Lumar Window Tint
    Yokohama Geolander ats

9. Aug 17, 2014 at 9:12 AM
    TrapComa

TrapComa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mason
    Cedar Park, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 Indigo Ink LT PreRunner
    Wannabe prerunner, wannabe overlander
    I have Goodyear Wrangler ArmorTrac on my 2007 and I love them! They are quiet and don't hurt my highway fuel mileage, but I've never been stuck in the mud with them and I off-road all the time

10. Aug 17, 2014 at 10:55 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    265/75-16 fits with no rub. Hankook Dynapro ATM worked very well in all off road conditions and is quiet on the highway. Another tire below $150 is sold at Pep Boys, but made by Cooper... the Destiny Dakota AT. I am running them now. No complaints so far, but mostly highway use (quiet). BFG and the others mentioned are over $150.

11. Aug 20, 2014 at 9:23 AM
    evile

evile Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2006 DoubleCab TRD OffRoad PreRunner
    Bug shield vent visors Westin Chrome bull bar K&N Airfilter Pioneer CD/MP3/Ipod/DVD head unit KC Daylighters, LED map and dome lights, secondary airfilter removed. Black tube steps, 110v outlet in cab
    GEneral Grabber AT2 is what Im running on my TRD off road prerunner right now. I have about 56k miles on them with 5/32 tread remaining. great tire. But I am going to replace them before my next vaction with Cooper AT3s cheaper and available locally VS online ordering

Products Discussed in

To Top