Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Best tire under $150/each for a TRD Off Road

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-13-2014, 09:47 PM   #1
Being Frank is on a distinguished road
Being Frank's Tacoma Gallery
Best tire under $150/each for a TRD Off Road

Yeah sorry, another tire thread. I've looked at probably 20 of them here on TW and I still have to ask. My Tacoma double cab with the off road package has 43K miles and what I believe to be the original tires, which have given up the good fight. Worn to the tread bars, and one is leaking with too little tread to have a shop patch/plug.

I would like to keep the tire purchase under $600. I drive 3 miles to work, all at speeds under 35mph, but I do take the truck out of town running up about 100 miles per weekend on the highway, sometimes trips of up to 800miles. I do not do any "off roading", but I do drive in snow every winter (22inches here last year), and in fields when I go shooting long range rifle. And we get a lot of rain, on not very well maintained highways with puddles which can give some nays hydroplaning (no rock crawling, no mud pits, etc, just soft mud and this is pretty infrequently).

Any suggestions in the stock 265/70/16? I can get the General Grabber AT2 at our local Walmart for $133/tire. I do like the looks of tires that don't look like they came off a rental car, but if the best tire is pretty plain looking I'd probably go with function over form.

I used to just look up the "best" tire and buy it, but when working with a budget I'm not sure how to pick the "best" tire for my application.

If you are tired of tire threads, sorry. If you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate the input.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:56 PM   #2
Tasty Taco
TacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMitch93 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mitch
TacoMitch93's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not exactly sure what tire prices are like where you're from, but I personally think the best all around tire is the BFG A/T. I know lots of people who run them in the snow, I don't find them loud on the highway and they're pretty decent off road (I know you said you don't do anything like that, just stating). They're about 300 a tire (again I know its over what you said, but I don't know your market down there)

My father runs Toyo Open Country's on his Tundra, they're more of a street tire, and they wouldn't do good in the snow or in any type of soft mud situation. Really good for highway/city driving though
Old 08-13-2014, 09:58 PM   #3
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fil...y=prca&toggled=

Severe service rated, I just got a set of these in size 265/70/17, aggressive enough tread design, smooth and quiet....I believe made by Kumo exclusively for Discount/America's Tire...

60,000 tread wear warranty...
Old 08-13-2014, 10:00 PM   #4
Back to Back World War Champions
tylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
tylershane17's Tacoma Gallery
Cooper At3 is a great tire for the half highway half trail deal
http://www.treaddepot.com/tire/90000...ejAaAhlO8P8HAQ

Also Bf Goodrich is gonna be a little higher but I love their all terrain tire
http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Tires-Jeep-T...UtgaAlBZ8P8HAQ
Old 08-13-2014, 10:08 PM   #5
skisailbike has much to be proud ofskisailbike has much to be proud ofskisailbike has much to be proud ofskisailbike has much to be proud ofskisailbike has much to be proud ofskisailbike has much to be proud ofskisailbike has much to be proud ofskisailbike has much to be proud ofskisailbike has much to be proud of
skisailbike's Tacoma Gallery
There are a lot of members who rag on others for starting new threads, but there are also a lot of newer members who like to be part of the conversation and help out. For under $150, a couple I would look at the Cooper ATP or AT3 or the Hankook Dynapro ATM. All good quality tires that will look right at home on your Tacoma. I have the Cooper AT3 in 275/70 R17, and I am really happy after 12,000 miles. We get a lot of snow where I live (over 300 inches per year) and I have driven plenty of highway miles in the rain, and I haven't had any concerns yet with their performance. Good luck!
Old 08-13-2014, 10:11 PM   #6
doorsidedown is on a distinguished road
EMS:
doorsidedown's Tacoma Gallery
+1 on the cooper at3. I had them on my ford ranger for years. I'm actually looking forward to my stock tires wearing out so I can throw these on.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:46 AM   #7
Being Frank is on a distinguished road
Being Frank's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm looking at reviews of the suggested tires now. The coopers are looking pretty good, especially considering the price.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:12 AM   #9
mthouse01 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mason
mthouse01's Tacoma Gallery
I have Goodyear Wrangler ArmorTrac on my 2007 and I love them! They are quiet and don't hurt my highway fuel mileage, but I've never been stuck in the mud with them and I off-road all the time
Old 08-17-2014, 10:55 AM   #10
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
265/75-16 fits with no rub. Hankook Dynapro ATM worked very well in all off road conditions and is quiet on the highway. Another tire below $150 is sold at Pep Boys, but made by Cooper... the Destiny Dakota AT. I am running them now. No complaints so far, but mostly highway use (quiet). BFG and the others mentioned are over $150.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:23 AM   #11
evile has a brilliant futureevile has a brilliant futureevile has a brilliant futureevile has a brilliant futureevile has a brilliant futureevile has a brilliant futureevile has a brilliant futureevile has a brilliant futureevile has a brilliant futureevile has a brilliant futureevile has a brilliant future

evile's Tacoma Gallery
GEneral Grabber AT2 is what Im running on my TRD off road prerunner right now. I have about 56k miles on them with 5/32 tread remaining. great tire. But I am going to replace them before my next vaction with Cooper AT3s cheaper and available locally VS online ordering