1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need your opinion on these tires, or other tires.

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by moondeath, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Sep 16, 2014 at 9:42 PM
    MARSHBUSTER

MARSHBUSTER Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Alamogordo NM
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5 4X4 Tacoma TRD
    Grill Gaurd/ Winch Bumper, Mile Marker 9000 LBS Winch, Custom Head Ache Rack, Custom Rear Bumper, Marathon Camo Max 4 Seat Covers
    I am running the BFG AT KO's. I have had VERY GOOD LUCK with them. I am an AVID Deer and Elk Hunter and run into all sorts of different conditions during the hunts from Mud and Deep Snow and they HAVE NOT FAILED ME. I am a true believer it also depends on your driving ability. But OP it's your choice on what you buy. I did run the Goodyear Authority for awhile and they were decent but they did seem to wear out quickly. I will also say that the Hankook Dynapro AT's seem to be a Good running tire. I have them on my Fire Department Command Unit.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  2. Sep 16, 2014 at 9:46 PM
    whonoez

whonoez Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB
    3"lift, Monster XD w/ 285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers, Blacked out emblems, tinted front windows, BHLM
    I'm running the Nitto TrailGrapplers and I love how they perform. I also love the aggressive look but I hate the mpg with them.but then again I only commute 20 miles each way between home and work.

3. Sep 16, 2014 at 9:48 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    If you like to travel on gravel avoid the Toyo A/T 1 or 2 like the plague. I went with there old tread design a few years ago on my F150 and got suckered to try there new design by my local tire shop. I have never got more the 15-20 Km's out of a set. The gravel just eats them up and Toyo will tell you where to stick the warranty when you say gravel driven.

For A/T tires I've had the best luck with the Hankook ATm. They aren't as aggressive as I think you'd like though. It's a pity there isn't really any great on road/off road tires out there with all the rubber and material technology we have right now.

4. Sep 16, 2014 at 9:57 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Also a lot of guys around here say that the BFG's are show tires and nothing more. Then again they're about the only A/T I've never owned because of all the hate on them in my area plus there obnoxious price for what is really an AT, not a MT, tire.

I will buy 33" Hankook ATm's next time I'm looking for tires. They are the best combination or wear pattern, traction, and a very acceptable price that I've found yet. Then again I don't mud bog, but they do work extremely well in the muddy fields and trails I traverse for work daily.

5. Sep 18, 2014 at 6:34 PM
    moondeath

moondeath [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    Lots of good info!

6. Oct 20, 2014 at 8:46 PM
    tarxheel

tarxheel Future Pharmer of America

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab with 6" Lift
    3" Revtek lift, 3" body lift, 315/70/17 Mickey Thompson MTZ tires, Aries bull bar, Flowmaster dual exhaust, mesh grill, window tint, 17" American Eagle wheels, 315/70/17 Cooper ST Maxx tires
    In case you are still researching, I just switched from Mickey Thompson MTZ to Cooper ST Maxx and I am very satisfied. I got to keep the aggressive MT look with AT handling. Essentially no road noise and very smooth ride in my opinion. I can finally have a conversation in my truck on the highway and hear my exhaust

7. Oct 24, 2014 at 4:57 PM
    g35man

g35man Discount Double Check

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    League City, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DC 4x4 OR
    Icon Stage II lift kit, LR uca's, Weather Tech floor mats, FX-R retrofit, Morimoto factory fit LED fogs, flyzeye designs cup holder lights, wet okole seat covers, upgraded Entune system
    [​IMG]
    Toyo open country r/t
    Another tire to look at. Loved my KM2's but went to these for better wear life. As far as wet surface traction they have been excellent so far. Hope to get some real off road results maybe this weekend. :cool:

8. Oct 24, 2014 at 5:05 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    I saw those at the shop a few weeks ago. They look sick. I'm kind worried about the lack of siping though. I can get by in the winter here just fine with A/T's with some good driving, but I doubt I could get around okay on ice with those.

9. Oct 24, 2014 at 6:43 PM
    adrstout

adrstout Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    '12 4cyl SR5 4x4
    2.5" lift, 265/75r16 Cooper AT3, All Pro Front Skid, KBVoodoo bed rack, a bunch of other random stuff
    I love my AT3s. They may not look the most aggressive but they just simply grip.

The ST Max look pretty nice and most poeple are excited about them. Would be my choice of those you have up there.

10. Oct 24, 2014 at 6:53 PM
    Primo 95

Primo 95 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Primo!
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB 4X4
    265/75/16 S/T Maxx 16X8.5 Level 8 Trackers 5100 1.75 HID, LED interior, 3" N-Fab step bars
    I was a long time BFG AT guy since the 80s...I made the switch over to Duratracs 2 years ago and I have been extremely happy with no problems...but I just hit 20,000 miles on them (with regular 5k rotation/balance)..and they have become incredibly noisy. This seem to be a common problem I have read about.

The Cooper ST MAXX seems to be the new "It Tire" that everyone is getting. That nice balance in between AT & MT, but with a much better carcass than the duratrac, with great reviews aggressive looks, everyone reports they ride very quiet.

My question is....has anyone had their Cooper ST Maxx for 20K or 30K miles?
    What is your opinion of them with that much wear? Are they still quiet?
    This for more of a daily driver, but occasion off-road in Texas...no sand or ice in my area.

11. Oct 24, 2014 at 7:11 PM
    bzzr2

bzzr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have the cooper st maxx on my reg cab full size ford in a 285/70/17. They have seen 10000km+ on gravel roads and i use them off road also without concern, total on them is just under 36000km so far. They are still quiet, there might be a bit more sound than new but they were quiet new, much quieter than any of my previous mud terrain tires. They have lots of life left in them also, i am impressed with the wear ive experienced so far. They have only been rotated once but the alignment is perfect on the front of the ford.. I am getting these same tires for my jeep as im quite impressed with them. As for winter driving they are ok, much better than the stock ford whatever tires were - i am in the north east so we get all kinds of nasty winter.

12. Oct 24, 2014 at 7:20 PM
    1993t100

1993t100 I’m good looking and I drive a Jeep.

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Sexy
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
    Not to thread jack, but has anyone ran the Bridgestone Dueler Revo2's? I'm getting them put on my truck tomorrow, 265/75/16. Was going to go with the Destination A/T's but ended up choosing the Revo2's instead. I'm mostly happy with the reviews I've been seeing, just haven't heard very good things about the life of these tires.

13. Oct 26, 2014 at 9:10 AM
    RogueTRD

RogueTRD Learn to swim...

Member:
    First Name:
    Cade
    So. Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '14 Pyrite Mica DCSB 4x4 TRD OR
    Stacked spacer lift, 22x12 wheels with stretched 33's, tow mirrors, bull nuts.
    I have been impressed with my Cooper ST Maxx's. I haven't tried them out in sand or ice yet though. Depending on how these work out I may give the Toyo RT's a shot next time I am ready to buy tires. I have just over 6k miles on them about to do my first rotation.

14. Oct 26, 2014 at 9:17 AM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander

^×2

15. Oct 26, 2014 at 10:07 AM
    adamh1977

adamh1977 Well-Known Member

Member:
    arkansas
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4
    any time fog,tinted windows to 5% ,plasti dipped gun metal gray,toytec 5100's eibach coils ,led map and dome lights
    I'm stuck between cooper at and the maxx and the toyo's

16. Nov 27, 2015 at 11:09 AM
    cr500taco

cr500taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    Northridge
    Vehicle:
    4WD
    Reviving this thread.

I've been running the BFG ATs. I'm on my third set, But, with the last set, I haven't been too happy with them on wet pavement. Rear tire tends to spin too easy from a dead stop on level ground. Even with a little weight in the back. Otherwise, I'm happy with them. Been looking into the KO2, but wondering if they will be the same on wet pavement .

Been looking, also, at the Cooper S/T tires., especially the Maxx. Read positive reviews on them off road, but not much feedback on wet pavement. How well do they perform on wet pavement?

Products Discussed in

To Top