1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mud Terrain to All Terrain Switch

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by tarxheel, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Sep 14, 2014 at 6:37 AM
    tarxheel

tarxheel [OP] Future Pharmer of America

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab with 6" Lift
    3" Revtek lift, 3" body lift, 315/70/17 Mickey Thompson MTZ tires, Aries bull bar, Flowmaster dual exhaust, mesh grill, window tint, 17" American Eagle wheels, 315/70/17 Cooper ST Maxx tires
    I currently run 315/70/17 Mickey Thompson MTZs and am considering switching to the ATZ for my new set later this year. Can anyone that made the MT to AT transition offer thoughts on whether it was a good idea or not? My driving is now probably 90% road these days so I thought AT would be better now although I still like that rugged MT look. Will an AT be quieter? I assume same size tire wouldn't impact gas mileage but I have seen some people claim they got better mileage with their AT. Thoughts?

2. Sep 14, 2014 at 6:43 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    I don't have that brand tire, but have run OE tires for 50k, aggressive AT's for 30k, and MT's for 10k..

Based on my experience and research...AT's will typically get better gas mileage, last longer, and be quieter.

If you're buying tires based on looks you are most likely throwing money away. Buy tires based on what matches your driving style and conditions and you will save money.

I'm currently running 255/85/16's in MT and will go back to AT when they wear out. My trucks done mudding so no more need. A good AT will get me where I need to go just as well if not better (soft sand all around here).

3. Sep 14, 2014 at 9:06 AM
    tarxheel

tarxheel [OP] Future Pharmer of America

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab with 6" Lift
    3" Revtek lift, 3" body lift, 315/70/17 Mickey Thompson MTZ tires, Aries bull bar, Flowmaster dual exhaust, mesh grill, window tint, 17" American Eagle wheels, 315/70/17 Cooper ST Maxx tires
    I have gotten roughly 40k on my MTZs which is better than I expected but you're right no need for them anymore. The only time I am not on the road is when I am in the mountains and go down some rough trails to get to hiking trails or access to a river which an AT should be able to handle

Products Discussed in

To Top