Tire and Suspension upgrade help

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-07-2014, 06:16 PM   #1
Newbie here
GT_Taco will become famous soon enough

GT_Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to GT_Taco Send a message via Yahoo to GT_Taco
Tire and Suspension upgrade help

I did use the search function, and did not really find direct answers to what I was looking for, so I figured I would make a new thread to consolidate some information.

I have a STOCK (as far as tires/suspension are concerned) 2011 DC Long bed 4x4 TRD Sport Taco.

I have the original P265/65R17 Bridgestone Dueler H/T tires with about 45k miles on them. Honestly, it looks like I could easily get another 3-5k miles out of these based on tread wear and tire condition, but I am starting to shop.

This truck is my daily driver and is mostly highway with some limited off-road (nothing crazy) use. Based on what I have read so far, I am considering a replacement tire with a little more sidewall for better on road comfort. Will a LT265/70R17 fit the bill without any other modifications? (Looking at the Michelin LTX M/S2 based on reviews)

Related to that, I know I should start looking at suspension replacement around the 50k mi mark just based on life of existing parts. Can I get some decent suspension recommendations for improved highway ride to go along with that? I was leaning in the direction of one of the Icon packages like a Stage 2 or 3.

I would consider myself a novice in suspension components for trucks but I have definitely performed such upgrades on cars and my motorcycles before. Any advice welcome.

Thanks
Old 10-08-2014, 05:24 PM   #3
eja12a is on a distinguished road
Name: Ethan
eja12a's Tacoma Gallery
As far as the tire fitting goes, here's what I found for you:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...uspension.html

I don't know how you feel about doing the suspension swap yourself, but I had never had any real experience working on trucks and I swapped my suspension, UCAs and brakelines out myself with no problem. There's a bunch of tutorials here and on youtube.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...ines-pics.html

This tutorial was helpful for me, although I ended up doing it slightly differently.