Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

BFG vs. Toyo vs. Nitto

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2009, 08:35 AM   #1
BJ's RedBeast is on a distinguished road

BJ's RedBeast's Tacoma Gallery
BFG vs. Toyo vs. Nitto

I know that this has gone around at least once if not two or three times, but I am looking at getting bigger tires (285/75R16) for my 06 Tacoma. I really like the look of the BFG KM2, Toyo Open Country M/T, and the Nitto Mud Grappler, but I can't decide on which one. I was wondering what everyone thought of these three tires in the following areas:

- Pros
- Cons
- Highway loudness
- Price
- Traction both on and off the road, wet and dry, snow and mud, EVERYTHING!
- How long they last before having to be replaced
- Anything else that you have experienced: The good, the bad, and the ugly

Generally, I am just looking for as much information about these three tires as I can get my hands on. Any real world experiences would be nice and pictures are always awesome. Thanks for all the input ahead of time.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:24 AM   #2
TX Trill
TEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TEX357's Tacoma Gallery
You can sorta get a idea from this chart, although some of the stuff is kinda whack that they have up on it..

I personally bought KM2s because heard a bunch of good things about them on this site!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=ORMT
Old 04-25-2009, 09:28 AM   #3
Stayed Up Too Late
Untamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0311-Bravo 1/23 4th Mar. Div. Reserves
Name: Adam
Untamed_SS's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.nittotire.com

You can find the Mud Grappler info here. It says something like this: (this is my translation, k)

It has pretty bad ride quality ( I don't really know, just looking at the little deal thing)

It is probably loud on the highway. (Like I know though...)

And it has two awesome side wall designs!
Old 04-25-2009, 03:14 PM   #4

Has anyone had experience with all three of these tires or two of the three or anything like that?
Old 04-25-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
$DO WORK$
gouge44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgouge44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgouge44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgouge44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgouge44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgouge44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgouge44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgouge44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgouge44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgouge44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgouge44 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
gouge44's Tacoma Gallery
i just recently put the toyo's on my truck last month and i love them, a badass looking tire, very quiet on the highway at 80mph honestly not sure how they hold up in the mud but the traction on the florida roads has been fine so far
Old 04-25-2009, 04:18 PM   #6

Would 305/70R16 would be able to fit under a 3" lift and on stock rims or would you want to go to custom rims with more backspacing?
Old 04-27-2009, 08:01 PM   #7

HELLO ANYONE OUT THERE???!!!???

Would a 305/70R16 fit under a 3" lift and on stock rims?

Any experiences with the Nitto Mud Grapplers or BFG KM2's?
Old 04-27-2009, 08:02 PM   #8
06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Colin
06BLUEDBLSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
I dont have the km2's but i have the BFG A/T and I Love them, no cons all pros
Old 04-27-2009, 08:49 PM   #10
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
I have some BFG A/Ts. Love them good in mud. Did fine a few weeks ago on rocks. My only complaint is that I have a limestone driveway and sling a shit load of rocks at my truck. I love them. Also made use of their rim protection shit, where the tire overlaps your rims a bit, saved my rims once or twice.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:53 PM   #11
06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Colin
06BLUEDBLSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
I have some BFG A/Ts. Love them good in mud. Did fine a few weeks ago on rocks. My only complaint is that I have a limestone driveway and sling a shit load of rocks at my truck. I love them. Also made use of their rim protection shit, where the tire overlaps your rims a bit, saved my rims once or twice.
Yeah they do kick up a lot of rocks, and they protection is awesome. Once i was exiting school and at one point you have to turn right around a sharp curve, i was going quick around i and turned to tight and my back right rear wheel slide against the curb then drove up on to the curb then slide against the curb as it got of the curb, no damage to the rim, tire showed no marks or curb touching it
Old 04-27-2009, 09:00 PM   #13
kasey200 has much to be proud ofkasey200 has much to be proud ofkasey200 has much to be proud ofkasey200 has much to be proud ofkasey200 has much to be proud ofkasey200 has much to be proud ofkasey200 has much to be proud ofkasey200 has much to be proud ofkasey200 has much to be proud ofkasey200 has much to be proud of
kasey200's Tacoma Gallery
I know the toyos hold up well to highway driving....i know the nittos don't. my roomate has the nittos on his titan and they are getting wore down in a hurry
Old 04-27-2009, 09:52 PM   #15
RN
BenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
BenJammn5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ's RedBeast View Post
HELLO ANYONE OUT THERE???!!!???

Would a 305/70R16 fit under a 3" lift and on stock rims?

Any experiences with the Nitto Mud Grapplers or BFG KM2's?
You will rub on frame for sure w/ 3" lift. I gurantee it.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:36 PM   #16
KingRama4 is on a distinguished road
KingRama4's Tacoma Gallery
just bought a new tacoma and i'm sure this has been answered many times before but what's the largest tires i can get without having to put a lift on my truck? thanks. 285/75R16?
Old 04-27-2009, 10:40 PM   #17
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
265/xx/16 King rama
Old 04-28-2009, 01:12 AM   #18
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRama4 View Post
just bought a new tacoma and i'm sure this has been answered many times before but what's the largest tires i can get without having to put a lift on my truck? thanks. 285/75R16?
265/70/17 or a 32" tire.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:28 PM   #19
RN
BenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
BenJammn5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRama4 View Post
265/75R 16
you will rub with 285's, even with a 3" lift you'll still rub.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:52 PM   #20

Yes you will rub, but if you do some trimming you can eliminate a lot of the rubbing or if you get aftermarket rims (depending on the rims) you should be able to almost completely eliminate rubbing with the 285/75R16. At least that is what I have been told by two different tire places.