1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tire inflation/deflation system

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Denali2k4, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Nov 28, 2014 at 7:04 PM
    velillen

velillen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x4
    I understand the time to fill 1 tire vs 2 at once vs 4 at once.

You'd just said the 2way system would be faster than a split hose. isnt the 2way basically just a nicely done "plumbed" setup instead of just hose? Or am i missing something with the actual 2way setup that would make it faster?

Course i could have easily misunderstood what ya meant in the first place :)

2. Nov 28, 2014 at 7:10 PM
    tacoma16

tacoma16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    lol sorry, I meant the general time of hooking up hoses to the tire would be faster with the plumbed setup vs having to untangle the 1-4 or 1-2 setup, then hookin it up and packing it all up. Was talking mainly about the setup in that case.

again this is all in relation to what the op is thinking. I just have a m5 compressor and dont mind the time it takes.just suggested the 2way as an alternative to the other system

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  3. Nov 29, 2014 at 1:20 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    There is a key difference: water is NOT compressible and air is.

I think the splitter, special four ways, would work best if a storage tank is used and not just the air from the pump alone?

4. Nov 29, 2014 at 1:25 PM
    tacoma16

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    So was my analogy incorect or are you just stating the main difference?

Agreed that an external tank would be needed, as doing the 4 way would be taxing on the pump. This is assuming my thinking is correct with all this based on my example with the hose.

5. Nov 29, 2014 at 1:42 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    If the air is pressurized much higher than the pump alone creates (why a tank is needed for volume), you could fill all four tires at the same time and in a short a time as 1 tire. If the pump only, unless a big one, I think you are correct in that the time to fill 4 tires to the same pressure will be 4 times longer than filling just one. So no time advantage, other than moving the fill hose from tire to tire.

Because air can compress you can store a lot of air in a small tank... naturally it will have higher pressure when compressed. Small pipes can still carry a lot of air, if under pressure.

Water cannot compress, its volume is the same under pressure or not. A small pipe will flow less water than a bigger one.

Just noting the basic physics here... Water systems is my business, and I find many people have misconceptions about its properties, that's all.

6. Nov 29, 2014 at 2:55 PM
    tacoma16

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    Okay, my explanation was just too simplified. thank you for the thorough explanation. Definetly helps explain everything. :cheers:

7. Nov 30, 2014 at 12:07 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Oh, for some maybe... for a lot more I think I make stuff more complicated by explaining it to death! LOL

Thank you and cheers!

Products Discussed in

To Top