Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Stock wheels painted black?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-28-2014, 06:48 PM   #1
Hecfish is on a distinguished road
Hecfish's Tacoma Gallery
Stock wheels painted black?

Have anyone painted or get these type of stock rims black?
Flat/gloss?
If so, any pics or suggestions can share please? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Stock wheels painted black?-2014-11-28-14.14.59.jpg  
Old 11-28-2014, 07:11 PM   #2
Hecfish's Tacoma Gallery
I have found other pics posted of stock black wheels but not these.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:37 PM   #3
nextfriday is a name known to allnextfriday is a name known to allnextfriday is a name known to allnextfriday is a name known to allnextfriday is a name known to allnextfriday is a name known to all

nextfriday's Tacoma Gallery
I've painted wheels before. You have to rough up the wheel surface with sandpaper, degrease the wheel surface, tape off the tire, prime coat, multiple paint coats, last multiple clear coats. Automotive wheel paint works fine.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:45 PM   #4
taco 2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco 2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco 2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco 2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco 2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco 2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco 2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco 2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco 2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco 2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco 2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
taco 2011's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...acite-mgm.html
This is obviously not flat black or gloss but on the second page there is a really good write up on how to do it. There are a couple of pics of people doing them with the flat black color you are looking for i just can't find the thread right now.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:13 AM   #5
Hecfish's Tacoma Gallery
Yes. Thanks Chris. Looks like a gun metal color. Nice.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:55 AM   #7
Hecfish's Tacoma Gallery
10-4
Old 11-29-2014, 10:12 AM   #8
Bazinga
ckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ckeeton's Tacoma Gallery
Or you can plasti dip them.

I did that and its been close to a year without it peeling off. Have to reapply on the lugs whenever the wheels get rotated though.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:03 AM   #9
Gotta Taco!
wanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MCB-11, ACB-1   '59-'63
Name: alan
wanna taco's Tacoma Gallery
When my OEM tires need replacing, I'll take my rims to have them powdercoated. I've done this with other cars, and I can tell you, the finish is like armor. A powdercoat shop will do the blast and prep in house, and you can choose the color, sheen, and texture. Not cheap, but you get one off wheels for a hell of a lot cheaper than any new wheels on the market.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:01 AM   #10
HenryG is on a distinguished road
HenryG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna taco View Post
When my OEM tires need replacing, I'll take my rims to have them powdercoated. I've done this with other cars, and I can tell you, the finish is like armor. A powdercoat shop will do the blast and prep in house, and you can choose the color, sheen, and texture. Not cheap, but you get one off wheels for a hell of a lot cheaper than any new wheels on the market.
Like you said it's not cheap in comparison to painting your wheels with spray paint, but I've seen prices ranging between $40-50 per wheel to have them powdercoated. It's not bad considering how durable the finish will be in the end.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:30 AM   #11
Gotta Taco!
wanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

True, and the difference goes way beyond durability.
A plastidip job is like a slutty trailer trash woman.
When the mascara smears, you hope you'll be too drunk to notice.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:11 AM   #12
Rsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Rsoxfan1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna taco View Post
This is exactly what I did...
Old 12-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #13
tard
Kanga is one of the sharper tools in the shedKanga is one of the sharper tools in the shedKanga is one of the sharper tools in the shedKanga is one of the sharper tools in the shedKanga is one of the sharper tools in the shedKanga is one of the sharper tools in the shedKanga is one of the sharper tools in the shedKanga is one of the sharper tools in the shedKanga is one of the sharper tools in the shedKanga is one of the sharper tools in the shedKanga is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Beth
Kanga's Tacoma Gallery
I'm looking to paint mine too. My mechanic suggested powdercoating instead of painting. Called the local powdercoating shop in Athens and they said no problem BUT..

A) they want $85 per wheel
B) they want me to just bring them the wheels...

Does anybody in Georgia have a better powdercoat shop?
Old 12-12-2014, 11:10 PM   #14
HenryG is on a distinguished road
HenryG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
I'm looking to paint mine too. My mechanic suggested powdercoating instead of painting. Called the local powdercoating shop in Athens and they said no problem BUT..

A) they want $85 per wheel

Does anybody in Georgia have a better powdercoat shop?
Maybe call around and see if there is another powder coater in your area. Maybe check the regional forums? You may also see if you know anyone else local that is also looking to have the done as well. Group discount?

How else would they get your wheels?
Old 12-13-2014, 02:02 PM   #15
tard
Kanga is one of the sharper tools in the shedKanga is one of the sharper tools in the shedKanga is one of the sharper tools in the shedKanga is one of the sharper tools in the shedKanga is one of the sharper tools in the shedKanga is one of the sharper tools in the shedKanga is one of the sharper tools in the shedKanga is one of the sharper tools in the shedKanga is one of the sharper tools in the shedKanga is one of the sharper tools in the shedKanga is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kanga's Tacoma Gallery
yep. done all that. but thank you.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:21 PM   #16
t8rtaco is on a distinguished road
Name: vince
t8rtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Stock black wheels

I Plasti Dipped mine over a year ago run it through carwashes,pressure wash holds up great no sanding or prep if they get scratched or bumped just touch up.Deside you don't like peels off or use goof off citrus type spray let sit for 15 minutes and pressure spray.Did my hole truck with it. check out my pics green truck. Also youtube dip your car.com
Old 12-13-2014, 03:39 PM   #17
Gotta Taco!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryG View Post
...How else would they get your wheels?
He wants them to come get his truck and leave him a loaner truck full of gas.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:27 PM   #18
tard
Kanga's Tacoma Gallery
first, she.
second, thanks for randomly being a shitass. i've been missing that in my day today, being off work and all.
i'm a hard working, responsible person that can pay for my own gas, thank you.
my concern was more that i don't have anywhere to leave a completely wheel-less truck for 3 days. i had originally been told i could take them my truck and that they had the capabilities to take the tires off, etc. when i spoke with the guy, he let me know they can't do that.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:53 PM   #19
Gotta Taco!

First, so glad you set me straight on your gender. My bad.
Second, there was nothing random about my shitass comment, as it was specifically meant for your eyes.
Third, your use of that word adequately identifies your gender and mentality, so I must now apologize, as apparently, your shit doesn't emanate from your ass.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:23 AM   #20
tard
Kanga's Tacoma Gallery
That was pretty lame. You need to work on your insults. And your reading comprehension.