Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Tire Sizing Question

Reply
 
* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-06-2014, 04:43 PM   #1
cduke123 [OP] cduke123 is offline
Junior Member
cduke123 is on a distinguished road
Joined: Aug 2014, #135738
Gender: Male
Posts: 9
cduke123's Tacoma Gallery
Tire Sizing Question

I have a 2012 Tacoma Sport...all stock. I will be replacing my tires soon and considering increasing from the stock P265/65R17 to the P265/70R17. I do not intend to add a lift or any other modifications and rarely take the truck off road.

I read on another forum after using 'Google' regarding the difference in tires sizes and one posted that his 4Runner 'rubs' some when driving in reverse. This seems odd since the Off Road edition as the 265/70R16.

My intent is to go with an All Terrain, mainly for better performance in the snow and a little more aggressive look. Is there any concern with add the P265/70R17? Again, I can't understand why there will be any rubbing since this is the same height as the stock Off Road tire. if I am missing something, please let me know.

I have looked at the Nitto Crosstek tires...I have seen a few reviews on them and like the way they look. My original plan was the BFG A/T's or the Bridgestone Revo A/T but have seen a few questionable reviews but nothing on rubbing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 04:47 PM   #2
Senior Member
northwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
northwesttaco's Avatar
Name: Brian
Joined: Nov 2013, #117000
Location: Snohomish, WA
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,292
northwesttaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cduke123 View Post
I have a 2012 Tacoma Sport...all stock. I will be replacing my tires soon and considering increasing from the stock P265/65R17 to the P265/70R17. I do not intend to add a lift or any other modifications and rarely take the truck off road.

I read on another forum after using 'Google' regarding the difference in tires sizes and one posted that his 4Runner 'rubs' some when driving in reverse. This seems odd since the Off Road edition as the 265/70R16.

My intent is to go with an All Terrain, mainly for better performance in the snow and a little more aggressive look. Is there any concern with add the P265/70R17? Again, I can't understand why there will be any rubbing since this is the same height as the stock Off Road tire. if I am missing something, please let me know.

I have looked at the Nitto Crosstek tires...I have seen a few reviews on them and like the way they look. My original plan was the BFG A/T's or the Bridgestone Revo A/T but have seen a few questionable reviews but nothing on rubbing.
On complete stock suspension you can go up to a 265/70/17 without rubbing, or if you want a 16 inch wheel its 265/75/16 (exact same size). I had that before I lifted.

Your stock tires should be 265/65/17 if you have a trd sport, or 265/70/16 if you have the base or trd off road. Going to a 265/65/17 will be going DOWN in tire size compared to 265/70/17.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 04:48 PM   #3
Member
SxSW is on a distinguished road
 
SxSW's Avatar
Army:
Name: Joe
Joined: Nov 2014, #142907
Location: NM
Gender: Male
Posts: 58
SxSW's Tacoma Gallery
A 70 265 would be taller than a 65 265. http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-calculator/

I have no idea about how tall the tire could be for your truck without rubbing thou.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 04:52 PM   #4
Senior Member
krans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud of
 
krans's Avatar
Name: Kenny
Joined: Feb 2009, #14173
Location: Huntington beach/ West min duh
Gender: Male
Posts: 413
krans's Tacoma Gallery
northwesttaco is right you will not have any issues with 265/70/17 they'll just fill the fender well a little more, use the tire calculator as a guide greatest tool on TW
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:01 PM   #5
cduke123 [OP] cduke123 is offline
Junior Member
cduke123 is on a distinguished road
Joined: Aug 2014, #135738
Gender: Male
Posts: 9
cduke123's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you for your input. I could not understand what another forum posted rubbing issues but I wanted to verify before increasing to the larger tire. My assumption was that I should not have any noticeable changes if going up slightly to the Off Road/TRD stock height on a Sport model. I do suspect that I might notice some difference with a more aggressive tread although I want it to look more aggressive and perform better in rain/snow but still perform VERY well when commuting.

Again, I appreciate your advice. My next step is to search for a tire that fits my requirements mentioned above. I assume that are plenty of threads and opinions here.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:01 PM   #6
Senior Member
northwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
northwesttaco's Avatar
Name: Brian
Joined: Nov 2013, #117000
Location: Snohomish, WA
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,292
northwesttaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cduke123 View Post
Thank you for your input. I could not understand what another forum posted rubbing issues but I wanted to verify before increasing to the larger tire. My assumption was that I should not have any noticeable changes if going up slightly to the Off Road/TRD stock height on a Sport model. I do suspect that I might notice some difference with a more aggressive tread although I want it to look more aggressive and perform better in rain/snow but still perform VERY well when commuting.

Again, I appreciate your advice. My next step is to search for a tire that fits my requirements mentioned above. I assume that are plenty of threads and opinions here.
Toyo AT 2 is a very good and popular tire for a good price, lasts a long time too. Another is Goodyear Duratrac, excellent snow tire and very aggressive look for an AT tire.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:36 PM   #7
cduke123 [OP] cduke123 is offline
Junior Member
cduke123 is on a distinguished road
Joined: Aug 2014, #135738
Gender: Male
Posts: 9
cduke123's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the recommendations...I will look at those. Any idea how each rides and performs on the pavement? As much as I would prefer a real aggressive tire, I spend 99% of my time on the pavement commuting.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:38 PM   #8
Senior Member
northwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
northwesttaco's Avatar
Name: Brian
Joined: Nov 2013, #117000
Location: Snohomish, WA
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,292
northwesttaco's Tacoma Gallery
My dad has the AT 2 on his commuter and loves it, very good traction. I have heard the duratracs do well too, don't have personal experience with them though
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:09 PM   #9
cduke123 [OP] cduke123 is offline
Junior Member
cduke123 is on a distinguished road
Joined: Aug 2014, #135738
Gender: Male
Posts: 9
cduke123's Tacoma Gallery
That helps a great deal...thanks. I am leaning toward the Toyo's after reading several reviews. The Toyo's may not look quite as aggressive but seem to be a better choice for me considering my needs. Again...thank you!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:23 PM   #10
Senior Member
northwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
northwesttaco's Avatar
Name: Brian
Joined: Nov 2013, #117000
Location: Snohomish, WA
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,292
northwesttaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cduke123 View Post
That helps a great deal...thanks. I am leaning toward the Toyo's after reading several reviews. The Toyo's may not look quite as aggressive but seem to be a better choice for me considering my needs. Again...thank you!
No problem thats what we are here for! Remember 265/70/17 is a taller tire than the stock 265/65/17.

First number is the tire width in millimeters, second number is the percentage of the tire width is your sidewall height, and the last is your wheel diameter
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire sizing help.. Please? LittleLady808 Wheels & Tires 3 03-14-2014 08:28 AM
Tire Sizing Question? jeckel7234 Wheels & Tires 3 03-10-2013 05:43 PM
Tire sizing Tacoma mud 1st Gen. Tacomas 3 07-25-2011 01:32 PM
Tire Sizing Question badguybuster Wheels & Tires 12 03-18-2009 10:22 AM
Wheel and tire sizing question Longy887 1st Gen. Tacomas 3 11-18-2008 10:58 PM


Copyright © 2015 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.