1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2 questions about removing TPMS sensors

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by gw204, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Dec 22, 2014 at 6:34 AM
    gw204

gw204 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Just bought a set of nearly new take-off TRD Offroad wheels/tires to replace the stock steelies that are on my 2015 PreRunner. My original plan was to immediately replace the stock Dunlop AT20 tires with a new set of ATs, but now I'm considering just running these tires for a while.

Whomever had these wheels before me removed the OEM TMPS and replaced them with a mismatched set of standard valve stems. I want to swap these out for a new set of valve stems before I put them on the truck. This leads me to two questions...

1. Is there a large enough difference in weight between a stock TPMS and a standard valve stem to warrant rebalancing after switching? I can see no evidence that the tires have even been moved from their original position on the rims, so I'm wondering if I can just pop one side from the bead, install the new valve stems, re-inflate and call them good.

2. Does anyone have a recommendation on how to pop a tire from the bead at home without causing any damage to the tire...if it comes to that?

Thanks.

Brian

2. Dec 22, 2014 at 6:37 AM
    Juan Solo

Juan Solo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4
    1. My rule of thumb is to rebalance any time you break the bead, but I weight of the sensor seems negligible to cause any imbalance issues. (but I've been wrong before) Your best bet is to install them and see if the truck rattles at highway speed. If it doesn't, you're good to go.

2. I've seen some on Youtube, but haven't tried any myself. Hopefully someone else has a better answer for this one.

3. Dec 22, 2014 at 6:46 AM
    Texas Aggie

Texas Aggie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 4x4 Lifted
    King 2.5's Front and Rear 700# coil, 2" wheelers aal, 315/75R16 BFG KM3's Pelfreybilt Front and Rear Steel Bumpers, All Pro Sliders, 4.56 Gears
    1)Yes there is enough of a difference in weight to justify rebalancing them unless they used steel valves for some reason. Idk if you'll pass inspection with the TPMS removed? It's against the law for a tire shop to remove them so you can wheel without them. I installed mine on a band around the wheel to avoid having to rebuild them, and to use rubber valves. TPMS are notorious for leaking slowly.
    2) No I don't know of a easy way to break the bead that's safe.

Products Discussed in

To Top