Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

33" tire rubbing! Sob...

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-30-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
RN
BenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
BenJammn5's Tacoma Gallery
Arrow 33" tire rubbing! Sob...

I already researched this question but found no official answers; is it possible to eliminate almost all of the rubbing i'm having w/ my Tacoma's 285/70 R17 tires?

Looks like the tire rubs on the frame a bit, can that safely be trimmed down w/o sacrificing frame damage and stability? I'm gonna lift it another .5" but I know it will still rub. What did you guys do w/ 33" tires? I know I could buy glass fenders too, but wondering if there is another solution besides lifting several more inches and glass fenders and smaller tires.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
rabble rabble rabble
dud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Humane Officer
Name: Dan
dud122's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dud122
DON'T "TRIM" YOUR FRAME!!!

get some wheel spacers.... should fix everything

may have to trim some wheel well plastic but that is simple enough
Old 04-30-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
different wheels would be way easier than trying to notch the frame or lift the truck more

if the tires are rubbing the frame...fenders wont change that

you need EITHER wheels that stick out more...or skinnier tires
Old 04-30-2009, 04:54 PM   #4
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 3" lift up front and trimmed quite a bit on the front lip and just took the mud guards off. I still rub on the back of the fender near the body when I am turning sharp up a curb or something of that nature. I don't off-road much so it doesn't bother me to much. I am going to be getting some Bushwackers once they are released for DC SB's here in the near future so we'll see what happens then. Oh and I have 18's with 285/65-18"s with a -12 offset on the wheels.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
different wheels would be way easier than trying to notch the frame or lift the truck more

if the tires are rubbing the frame...fenders wont change that

you need EITHER wheels that stick out more...or skinnier tires

x2
Old 04-30-2009, 07:10 PM   #7
06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of

06Bluez's Tacoma Gallery
MORE LIFT!!!! THats what I did!!!
Old 04-30-2009, 08:57 PM   #9
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

but it would suck if you spent another grand and it didnt fix it
Old 04-30-2009, 09:02 PM   #10
RN
BenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Quote:
but it would suck if you spent another grand and it didnt fix it
true that, i know more lift would help; today I put the truck on my curb in front of the house and when I turn the wheel it definitely 'smudges' into the frame. Rather annoying.. I eyeballed if I put a 1" wheel spacer and it would help a little bit but it would still touch the frame just a bit.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:12 PM   #11
bk1 is just really nicebk1 is just really nicebk1 is just really nicebk1 is just really nicebk1 is just really nice

Law Enforcement:
bk1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJammn5 View Post
true that, i know more lift would help; today I put the truck on my curb in front of the house and when I turn the wheel it definitely 'smudges' into the frame. Rather annoying.. I eyeballed if I put a 1" wheel spacer and it would help a little bit but it would still touch the frame just a bit.

Tried that already.. 33" TrXus MT's with an OME 3" lift. 4.5" backspacing and a 1" spidertrax spacer and i'm still rubbin on the body mounts at full turn, and anytime the front suspension articulates.

Goint to be trimming the body mount a bit and then weld and recap the mount.. stupid design flaw
Old 05-01-2009, 06:47 PM   #12
Western Alliance-NorCal
victorye3 is on a distinguished road

victorye3's Tacoma Gallery
Im having the same problem! I just got 33's 285/70/16 Mickey Tompson Baja M/T and they went to go put on my 3 in. Toytec lift and the upper control arm nearly hits the tire. This is with stock wheels. I did not have to do any cutting but, I had them take off the lift. So, the tech said if I get a wheel with a middle offset it will give me another 1" 1/2. Not to many wheels out there with those specs. Anyone known of any?
Old 05-01-2009, 09:51 PM   #13
RN

EMS:
Thanks for the imput guys.
I called demello offroad today and they said they could trim the body mount and rebuild it to reangle so that my tire wont hit. Charging 225 for 3 hours of labor, does this sound retarded?
I'm willing to do this in order to eliminate tire rub, anybody rub shoulders with demello offroad to hook a bro up???
Old 05-01-2009, 09:53 PM   #14
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJammn5 View Post
Thanks for the imput guys.
I called demello offroad today and they said they could trim the body mount and rebuild it to reangle so that my tire wont hit. Charging 225 for 3 hours of labor, does this sound retarded?
I'm willing to do this in order to eliminate tire rub, anybody rub shoulders with demello offroad to hook a bro up???

Demello is a member here...i think both Jason and Wyatt have their own user names

it sometimes seems like theyre on the pricier end of the spectrum...but they know what theyre doing and will do it right the first time
Old 05-01-2009, 10:01 PM   #15
RN

EMS:
Quote:
Demello is a member here...i think both Jason and Wyatt have their own user names

it sometimes seems like theyre on the pricier end of the spectrum...but they know what theyre doing and will do it right the first time
Great to know, thanks for the help tigerfan! Very useful.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:02 PM   #16
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

look for the thread in the buildup folder about the Beast...
Old 05-01-2009, 10:07 PM   #17
tc2008 has a spectacular aura abouttc2008 has a spectacular aura about

tc2008's Tacoma Gallery
What is your backspacing? I hope you know you suppose to run 4" preferably due to 4.5" will rub especially with offset of -12. I had the exact issue as you on my old motometal rub like a bitch therefore this time I'm getting wheels from 4x4groupbuy which most of their wheels has atleast 4"BS, so I don't think you need to pay them $200 for trimming the frame...
Old 05-01-2009, 10:23 PM   #18
RN

EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc2008 View Post
What is your backspacing? I hope you know you suppose to run 4" preferably due to 4.5" will rub especially with offset of -12. I had the exact issue as you on my old motometal rub like a bitch therefore this time I'm getting wheels from 4x4groupbuy which most of their wheels has atleast 4"BS, so I don't think you need to pay them $200 for trimming the frame...
don't matter bro, even w/ a 1" wheel spacer I'd still rub. My wheels are 4.5" not 4, but I love the ATX artillery wheel so I'm not about to change it out for a wheel w/ 4" backspacing cause it wont cure my issue.
200 is a cheap price to pay vs switching out all the wheels and going with a 4" backspace.