1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheel/tire weight 16"vs17"

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by C4vettrn, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Jan 4, 2015 at 10:20 AM
    C4vettrn

C4vettrn [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ft. Wayne IN.
    Vehicle:
    2015 trd 4x4
    17" SR8's
    So I had this thought the other day and thought I would ask here. With lets say a 33" overall dia. of the same make/model tire mounted on a 16" and 17" rim of the same make/model, which would weights less i.e. the 16" rim with less aluminum but more rubber or the 17" rim with more aluminum but less overall rubber? Hope this makes sense, I am debating on going with 16" wheels because of the ride and off-road advantages. My guess is the 17" wheel and 33" tire would weight a little less. Thoughts

2. Jan 4, 2015 at 10:26 AM
    Artruck

Artruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lawrence, KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 Super Basic
    Theoretically the 17 will be lighter, but it all depends on the make of the wheel and the tire.

3. Jan 4, 2015 at 10:51 AM
    C4vettrn

C4vettrn [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ft. Wayne IN.
    Vehicle:
    2015 trd 4x4
    17" SR8's
    That's what I was thinking. The larger dia. and weight in aluminum is probably less weight than the extra rubber in the 16" tire.

4. Jan 4, 2015 at 10:54 AM
    cytocycle

cytocycle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Expedition Build - 2012 TRD Off-Road
    4.88, Radflo 2.5" Resi,ARB Front Bumper with fogs, TJM 9,000 synthetic rope winch with Pro-Link, AllPro Bolt on Sliders with fill plates, Asfir Aluminum Front Skid, Mid Skid, Gas Skid, Transfer Skid, AllPro Shackle flip kit with Timbern, CBI HC rear Bumper, Rigid Mesh Grill with 20" LED bar, White Sport Grill Opening, ARB Dual Compressors and 2 gallons of air tanks for air tools, Dakar Leaf Pack+2,front sway bar delete, Camburg UCA's, Stainless Steel Brake Lines on all wheels fixed mushy brakes, UltraGuage
    i found that the factory Toyota rims are pretty light compared to aftermarket rims.

5. Jan 4, 2015 at 10:58 AM
    VenturaSuperMagna

VenturaSuperMagna Loving Life!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Spring, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    Go Rhino D2 Stainless Steel steps, Gator FX3 Tonneau Cover, in bed battery powered Led light, Pop and lock power tailgate lock, keyed locks for all 5 storage compartments, in window channel rain deflectors, front hood bug deflector, weather tech floor mats. More to come...
    One thing to consider is that I heard that the 16" rims will not fit on the TRD Sports with 17" wheels... I have not personally confirmed this yet. My understanding is that the Sport editions have larger calipers on the front...

6. Jan 4, 2015 at 11:05 AM
    cytocycle

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    4.88, Radflo 2.5" Resi,ARB Front Bumper with fogs, TJM 9,000 synthetic rope winch with Pro-Link, AllPro Bolt on Sliders with fill plates, Asfir Aluminum Front Skid, Mid Skid, Gas Skid, Transfer Skid, AllPro Shackle flip kit with Timbern, CBI HC rear Bumper, Rigid Mesh Grill with 20" LED bar, White Sport Grill Opening, ARB Dual Compressors and 2 gallons of air tanks for air tools, Dakar Leaf Pack+2,front sway bar delete, Camburg UCA's, Stainless Steel Brake Lines on all wheels fixed mushy brakes, UltraGuage
    Most aftermarket 16" rims won't clear the brake calipers on the 2012+ Tacomas (TRD or Sport). but the FJ 16" rims work excellent and have a little more offset, which is what I run on my TRD off-road. And Toyota 16" rims typically do clear the calipers.

I have found that 33.6" tires have a bigger weight difference then some rims

Stock rugged trail 265/70/16 weighed 34 lbs each
    255/85/16
    toyo MT weigh 62 lbs each
    BFG KM2 weigh 56 lbs each

So when looking at combos look at the tire across different manufactures..

7. Jan 4, 2015 at 11:17 AM
    VenturaSuperMagna

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Spring, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    Go Rhino D2 Stainless Steel steps, Gator FX3 Tonneau Cover, in bed battery powered Led light, Pop and lock power tailgate lock, keyed locks for all 5 storage compartments, in window channel rain deflectors, front hood bug deflector, weather tech floor mats. More to come...
    Thanks Chris! So I am clear and not thread hijack here, but am I to understand that I CAN put 16" rims off of say a Tacoma TRD Off Road on my Tacoma TRD Sport? Thanks Jared

8. Jan 4, 2015 at 7:54 PM
    cytocycle

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Yup unless they changed calipers in 2015, which I doubt..... Stainless steel brake lines really help also in the braking feel at the pedal if you have a chance.

9. Jan 4, 2015 at 9:19 PM
    VenturaSuperMagna

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Spring, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    Awesome, Thanks!

Products Discussed in

To Top