1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

some questions about wheels and offset

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by 07whiteTRD, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Jan 11, 2015 at 6:52 PM
    07whiteTRD

07whiteTRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    NY
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport White
    I've learned in the past going the less expensive route and doing little research ends up costing much more then I usually plan or can afford.

The wheels I am looking at are 17" and 7.5" wide

My question is the wheels can have either a 0 offset or a -10 offset.

Now I do very little "offroading" I don't know if what I do could even be called offroading haha.

I did want something that would give my truck a slightly wider stance. Was thinking of the -10 offset. My concerns are with balancing and tire wear.

Would it be easier for an average shop to balance either a 0 or -10 offset? And also would either offset wear more evenly then another?

I also plan to keep stock tire size of either 265 65 17 or 265 70 17.

Also my truck is stock height with no lift. and will stay that way unless I hit the lottery.

Oh and also I don't want to use spacers of any kind. So if either or these offsets require spacers I wont be buying. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

2. Jan 12, 2015 at 8:21 AM
    TacoTakeover

TacoTakeover Well-Known Member

Member:
    IMO, -10 offset with no leveling or lift will be a little too much for a stock setup. The stock Tacoma has 17x7.5 with +30 offset I think (this would tuck the wheel in more than a 0 or -10). I by no means an expert in offset and backspacing, but just going to a 0 offset will push those tires out slightly past the fender well (bc you're going from a stock +30 to a 0).

3. Jan 13, 2015 at 5:00 PM
    07whiteTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    NY
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport White
    Good to know. Guess I didn't considered the difference from stock to these... and I read it about a million times how stock is 30.

Still interested in more information if any one else would like to suggest some input.

I would like to do a lift down the road but it certainly isn't in the near future for me.

So as of right know the 0 offset seems most likely. Anyone else care to advise?

4. Jan 13, 2015 at 5:05 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Offset makes no difference in balancing or tire wear.

-10 offset will get you a wider stance without spacers (it would be similar in appearance to putting 1.65" spacers on stock wheels). 0 offset would be akin to putting 1.25" spacers.

If you run 265 70 17 (32" tire, 1" larger than stock), the -10 offset wheel will cause the tire to rub the plastic fender flare at full steering lock.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  5. Jan 20, 2015 at 5:56 PM
    07whiteTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    NY
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport White
    See I would have thought offset would have an effect on balancing and tire wear. When I had my old car I put 17" rims from 16" and a 215 tire to a 225 tire and I chewed this inside of my tires every time. I had them aligned and balanced several times with the same problem. but that good to know because that just reassures the fact the people at goodyear couldn't complete a simple task like I thought.

also the rubbing issue I appreciate the know how because that would have made me mad. so I guess I will go with a 0 offset.

now if I went with stock tires would there still be rubbing with the -10 offset?

6. Jan 26, 2015 at 10:04 AM
    ColoradoTom

ColoradoTom Team Velveeta™

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma 4x4 Access Cab
    I'm a first-time poster here. Did some forum searching but couldn't really find a thread that answered my question, so here goes.

I've got a 2014 Access Cab 4x4 SR5 with steel wheels. I'm looking to get some aftermarket alloys, but I want the truck as close to stock as possible. I don't want a significantly wider stance, and don't want the inside of the wheels and tires much closer to the brake calipers than they already are (hopefully no closer). I don't want to significantly change the gear ratio by changing the outside diameter of the tread, nor do I want it significantly higher or lower than stock. I am not going to lift this truck, it will be optimized for the highway. I do light offroading only.

Thanks to the sticky here explaining offset and backspacing I think I'm getting close to understanding what I need to know, but can y'all check my thinking?

Current rubber is 265/70 R16 245/75 R16 (just checked while home at lunch, had thought they were 70 series for some reason). Current rim width 7. The rims I'm looking at all are 8 wide, can't find anything I like that's 7. Will my current tires be OK on an 8" wide rim? I need to wear out the like-new OEM rubber. Seems like a wider rim couldn't change the outside diameter...

The best info I can find says that my SR5 steel rims have 0 offset. I'm assuming I'll want -10mm or so to compensate for the wider rim. My favorite rim as I shop so far is the Dick Cepek DC-2. The 16x8 version of that rim with 6-5.5 bolt circle has -12mm offset. By my thinking, as long as it would tolerate the 265/70 R16, that would be pretty close to right on the money. Should be that the outside width of the tires would be about 3/4" more than with the stock steelies.

Thanks a bunch to anybody willing to comment on this.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015

Products Discussed in

To Top