Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Makes me so confused : Tire and Wheel sizing help!

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-24-2015, 09:13 PM   #1
AZTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Cody
AZTacoGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Makes me so confused : Tire and Wheel sizing help!

Okay guys so I am wanting to get some new tires so that I can have decent tires on this camping trip im going to in march. I am currently stock and have the stock 17 inch wheels. I am going to be doing a 3 inch lift, sliders, and skids before march. So I will not be able to afford wheels at that time, though I do want to have some 33 inch tires mounted and I am looking at getting some toyo at2s 285/70r17

Will these fit my stock 17 TRD Sport wheels? Any wheel spacers? If so what do I need

Now The tricky part that I cannot figure out is I will be buying Method NV in 17 x 8.5 a few months later, and need to know if these tires will fit well on that size wheel? If not what will fit?

Thanks so much, ive been trying to search but it is becoming a pain, so I come to the almighty TW
Old 01-24-2015, 09:25 PM   #3
AZTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverSound View Post
285's will not fit on stock wheels as it will rub. You will need wheel spacers.
Okay cool, so ill add wheel spacers to the list, what size/ kind should I buy?
Old 01-24-2015, 09:43 PM   #4
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTacoGuy View Post
I believe someone is running 275's on sport wheels without spacers so maybe 1.25" spacers would work but I know a lot of guys are running 1.5".
Old 01-24-2015, 09:52 PM   #5
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I think these are them.

http://www.spidertrax.com/Toyota-Hub...&category=9982
Old 01-24-2015, 11:09 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post

Thanks Man

So If I buy these tires with spacers they'll clear with a 3 inch lift... but will they fit 17x8.5 wheel?
Old 01-24-2015, 11:40 PM   #7
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
You'd only use those with your stock wheels. You'd take them off once you got your 17x8.5 wheels.

EDIT - wait, are you asking about the tires or the spacers?

285/70R17 tire WOULD fit on a 17x8.5 rim - assuming 4.5 or 4.75 backspacing.

Spidertrax spacers are only for use with the stock rims, and you'd take them off once you got your 17x8.5 rims.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:21 AM   #8
Yeah I was talking about the tires. So is 4.5 or 4.75 better back spacing?
Old 01-25-2015, 09:57 AM   #9
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
if you've already got your rims picked out - I'm guessing you won't get to pick.

Between those two on an 8.5" wide rim - I'd err on the side of more backspacing (4.75) if I had a choice.

EDIT: someone else may read that and hear "more backspacing is better" - but only to a point. Too much backspacing and the tires won't clear the upper control arm. Too little backspacing and you'll rub all over the wheelwell.

A fair compromise when trying to run a 285 width tire is to shoot for a rim that has 0mm offset.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:32 AM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
if you've already got your rims picked out - I'm guessing you won't get to pick.

Between those two on an 8.5" wide rim - I'd err on the side of more backspacing (4.75) if I had a choice.

EDIT: someone else may read that and hear "more backspacing is better" - but only to a point. Too much backspacing and the tires won't clear the upper control arm. Too little backspacing and you'll rub all over the wheelwell.

A fair compromise when trying to run a 285 width tire is to shoot for a rim that has 0mm offset.
I've picked out the ones I want but not set In stone, method NVs.

What's the perfect wheel spec? Does the 8.5 inch wide affect performance? Is there a better width? And look for 4.75 backspacing with 0mm offset?
Old 01-25-2015, 07:11 PM   #11
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What's the perfect wheel spec?
Factory size - with factory size tires.

Ha ha. But seriously, no such thing, everything is compromise.

There's a lot to be said for keeping factory width and offset from a wheel bearing wear and Vehicle Stability Control engagement perspective - not to mention rubbing on the outer wheel well. Not for nothing do a lot of folks stick to "pizza cutter" style oversize diameter.

Lots of folks successfully run 285/70R17 on 17x8 tire with 4.5 backspacing.

Lots of folks successfully run 285/75R16 on 16x8 tire with 4.5 backspacing.

16" rims sometimes interfere with the calipers, it's a style by style thing.

Some folks get a 9" rim with 4.75 or even 5" backspacing. That sticks out more, which makes a "stance" that folks seem to like, but there's more risk of rubbing.

Pay your money, take your chances.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:55 PM   #12
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
I ran 17x9 with 4.5" back spacing making the wheels -12 offset. I would have preferred 17x8.5 at zero offset which is what Method NV's are. Back spacing would be 4.72 which would still clear with 285. You should be fine with a 3" lift but if you are 4wd, your CV fins would definately wear out quicker since they will rub together.