1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Couple Questions About Wheels

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by millertime89, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Mar 20, 2015 at 10:38 PM
    millertime89

millertime89 [OP] Flatlander

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    Yes sir
    First off, Tcbob said it was better to start a new thread instead of just getting his opinion, I never got any replies on other threads either :D
    [​IMG]
    I'm wondering if these rims will work with my truck/tires, I have 285/70/R17 BFG KO's and a 2" lift although when the rims go on I'll have an OME 3" lift installed. I'm also wondering if 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers will be too much with these rims but I'm a little confused about backspacing and whether this is normal or a lot? I referenced the bolt pattern as best I could figure out and know I need 6x5.5" but I've never bought rims before and basically just know I want/need 17" rims.
    I've read about backspacing and stuff like that but am a little confused so I thought I'd ask my TW gurus.

Here's the link: http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/aew-1852-8966

Thanks gurus, any advise/expertise/input/ and ultimately whether these will work is greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  2. Mar 21, 2015 at 8:52 PM
    millertime89

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    Yes sir
    Gonna bump for some help here

3. Mar 25, 2015 at 12:09 PM
    SCSPerformance

SCSPerformance Stealth Custom Series™ Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Vin
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Camburg LT kit DMZ SUA kit SCS wheels Destroyer Gray
    The wheel will fit, but you're going to have to do some cutting, trimming, and the cab mount chop mod to clear 285s on you're setup. A 2.5-3" lift would be better suited for that tire size.

4. Mar 25, 2015 at 12:21 PM
    AndyTaco

AndyTaco ACLBFTMW

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Waco, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 ACLB V6
    "Raptor Style" grill mod, aftermarket wheels, 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Authorities, TRD Shoulder pads on seat belts, no mud flaps, AVS Hoodflector bug shield *removed*, Dee Zee Ultrablack Bull Bar w/ license plate mount, dipped my fuel door for no reason, N-Fab Spare tire mount w/ full size matching spare, dipped eyelids onto my headlights for no reason, dipped my hood for no reason
    I think he said that he will have a 3" when the rims go on. Could have misinterpreted though.

5. Mar 25, 2015 at 12:25 PM
    SCSPerformance

SCSPerformance Stealth Custom Series™ Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Vin
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Camburg LT kit DMZ SUA kit SCS wheels Destroyer Gray
    You're right! I misread it and completely missed it.

Btw, OP, I don't recommend you running spacers with the wheels unless you want the wheels/tires to really stick pass the fenders. That BS should give you a nice stance as is.

6. Mar 25, 2015 at 12:28 PM
    KeithB

KeithB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    SWB '09 Tacoma DCSB Sport 4x4
    Wheels and Tires: 17x8" Ultra Goliath wheels with P285/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W tires, Suspension: Fox coilovers set at 2", TC UCA's, 1.5" lift 3 leaf pack with overload left in Other: TRD SS exhaust, Pioneer AVIC 4100 H/U with Android Auto (awesomeness), sat radio bluetooth, Accessories: Toyota roof rack, black Toyota running board steps, cargo divider, weathertech floor liners, Literider roll up soft tonneau, thule bars over tonneau, USB ports front and rear, seat heaters, birddawg mirror riser Cosmetic: window tint, grillcraft black mesh upper/lower grill, vinyl armrest in doors, Clazzio black seat covers with blue stitch, Redline steering wheel wrap Lighting: fogs only mod, back up lights, amber interior accent lighting, amber 10" LED light bar in hood scoop, 33" LED bar behind the lower grill, amber lamin-x on fog lights, Tacomabeast headlights and matching tails.
    You need to find out the backspacing or offset of the new wheels. You want about 4.5" backspacing which is -12mm offset on an 8" wide wheel or 0mm offset on 9" wide wheel. 17" wheels are typically 8" or 9" wide. >4.5" bs and your tires will be too far inside the wheel well and rub the frame when turning or upper control arm even without turning. <4.5" bs and your tires will stick out more and rub the fenders when turning. 4.5" bs seems to be the sweet spot for 285/70R17 tires.

Edit: sorry, I hadn't clicked on the link. 4.625" bs will work fine.

7. Mar 25, 2015 at 6:36 PM
    millertime89

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    Yes sir
    Yea that's what I really wasn't sure about, I've heard some guys have worse rubbing with spacers. I think these should work really well when I get them in July.

Thanks, that info helps a lot with just getting my head wrapped around backspacing.

Thanks for checking out the link guys, the gurus have come to the rescue :D

8. Mar 27, 2015 at 11:09 AM
    boostedka

boostedka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 6MT, 2004 4runner
    Back spacing is just a measurement from the mounting surface on the wheel to the inner edge of the wheel. This means that a lower backspace number puts the hub mounting surface closer to the inner edge of the wheel, thus pushing the wheel further out. So, IIRC, the stock 05+ wheels are 5.5" BS so a 4.6" BS will push the wheel out further by just under an inch plus you add in the 1.5" of additional width of the new wheel. This means those wheels will push out ~2.4" wider than the stock wheels.

9. Mar 27, 2015 at 1:08 PM
    millertime89

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    Yes sir
    So my wheels will stick out roughly 2.4 inches with these rims? Is that considered a lot?

10. Mar 27, 2015 at 2:20 PM
    KeithB

KeithB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    Wheels and Tires: 17x8" Ultra Goliath wheels with P285/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W tires, Suspension: Fox coilovers set at 2", TC UCA's, 1.5" lift 3 leaf pack with overload left in Other: TRD SS exhaust, Pioneer AVIC 4100 H/U with Android Auto (awesomeness), sat radio bluetooth, Accessories: Toyota roof rack, black Toyota running board steps, cargo divider, weathertech floor liners, Literider roll up soft tonneau, thule bars over tonneau, USB ports front and rear, seat heaters, birddawg mirror riser Cosmetic: window tint, grillcraft black mesh upper/lower grill, vinyl armrest in doors, Clazzio black seat covers with blue stitch, Redline steering wheel wrap Lighting: fogs only mod, back up lights, amber interior accent lighting, amber 10" LED light bar in hood scoop, 33" LED bar behind the lower grill, amber lamin-x on fog lights, Tacomabeast headlights and matching tails.
    A lot of guys have a similar set up to this. Also, it's not 2.4 inches past the fenders, it's 2.4" past the stock wheels which are currently well inside the fender. They will be about 1-1.5 inches past the fenders I believe. I went with a 17x8 wheel with 4.5" bs to try and keep it a little closer to the same as the fender width. Mine still stick out a little but not much.

Photo0143_2aa6db69f12e15d0d3342a5ea873ffc48370a336.jpg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  11. Mar 27, 2015 at 3:57 PM
    millertime89

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    Yes sir
    That looks solid, the ones I'm checking into have a 9 inch width so that would mean my wheels would essentially stick out 1 inch farther than what you have if I read that correctly

12. Mar 27, 2015 at 6:36 PM
    KeithB

KeithB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    Well, yes but that's just the wheel that will stick out further. The tires are 285mm wide at the tread. Whether they are mounted on 8" or 9" wheels makes no difference. The tire at the mounting surface just won't tuck in as much on a 9" wheels. I don't know if I am making any sense. Does anyone follow my logic?

13. Mar 27, 2015 at 6:50 PM
    millertime89

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    Yes sir
    Yup, this makes sense now. I live in Canada but my dad's side of the family is from Montana so I'll be down for the 4th. The guy that we've always bought our tires from has always been super helpful, he always let us check it out to make sure it all looked good etc. so I'm sure he'll show me exactly what it's going to look like. Just wanted to get a solid bearing ahead of time.

Products Discussed in

To Top