1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Snow Tire debate

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Chuckl, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Mar 27, 2015 at 11:29 AM
    seanpistol

seanpistol Well-Known Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City
    Blizzaks suck because they're a winter tire for a little bit, and then they become an all terrain. Firestone winterforce are great if you want a straight snow tire, and you can even get them in 285/75r16 size...

But- Goodyear Duratracs are the best tire I've run.

2. Mar 27, 2015 at 4:54 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    I wouldn't say Blizzaks suck . Consider where you live and where the OP lives .
    He may get more snow than you and the Blizzak is a temperature rated snow tire . If you drive in warm weather , they will wear out quickly . This is a specific question regarding snow tires . It,s up to the OP to figure out what will suit his weather conditions the best .
    I have snow 8 months out of the year and drive over frozen lakes to get to work . With this said , it makes perfect sense to run a dedicated studded snow tire for 8 months and run a summer tire for the remaining 4 months when it doesn't snow .

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  3. Mar 27, 2015 at 6:55 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    Sounds like BS to me. if 16”s can fit no reason 17”s can’t as long as you get the right back spacing/off set. Tons of guys on here have 17” wheels, heck the TRD sports some stock with 17” wheels.

4. Mar 27, 2015 at 10:10 PM
    Fox

Fox Active Member

Member:
    Central Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma DCSB, Leveled
    Leveled with Bilstein 5100 adjustable front shocks, All-pro front bumper, Red under dash lighting,
    That is BS. I have an 09 sport and it came with 17" wheels. I know that 15" are too small to clear the brakes.

I'd like to know the tire shops reasoning behind 16" and 18" could fit but 17" can't. That doesn't make any sense to me.

5. Mar 27, 2015 at 10:30 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    Lol
    :burnrubber:

6. Mar 28, 2015 at 9:43 AM
    js312

js312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    23 F150 PowerBoost Lariat 502a
    Husky Weatherbeaters, OEM Mud Guards, Wheel Well Liners, Bullet Spray-In Bed Liner, Gator Soft Tri-Fold Cover, Hankook DynaPro AT2 (Summer), Blizzak DM-V2 (Winter)
    I took my snows off last night. This morning we got a dusting here, but it was about an inch in the higher elevations. I drove up there and that justified snow tires for me. Night and day difference.

7. Mar 29, 2015 at 6:54 AM
    WOODEX M.E.

WOODEX M.E. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD OR Pyrite Mica
    TRD Supercharger, Speedhut TRD Boost Gauge, Speedhut TRD AFR Gauge, PLX Wideband Controller W/Bosch O2 Sensor, Cravenspeed Boost Pod, AFE Pro Dri II Si Intake, Calvert Racing Caltrac Traction Bars. URD Catback Exhaust, URD 2.825" Super Grip Pulley, URD Spec-U Equal Length Headers, URD 255lph Fuel Pump, OEM FPR Mod.
    I live in Maine and I have had great luck with Cooper Discover M/S with studs. Sadly it's hard to pick a proper snow tire depending on who you are and what you drive and how you want to drive it. Some snow tires are absolutely fantastic on slightly snowy and icy roads, but are worthless when the snow gets over 2 inches. And the same story goes for the other end. You can get a snow tire with the ability to paddle through deep snow after going off the road, but they're probably the reason you went off in the first place on ice. Just gotta find that happy medium. The best tire for you would be something with large aggressive lugs but those lugs need to have all the tiny little traction grooves in them or they will be worthless on the hard stuff.

Hope this helps.

8. Mar 29, 2015 at 6:58 AM
    teneighty

teneighty I'd rather be skiing...

Member:
    Right behind you. NY
    Vehicle:
    18’ F150 SCREW LB 3.5 EcoBoost
    Bilstein 5100’s (x4), 275/65/20 Cooper XLT AT3’s
    Awesome winter/ice tire!
    A dedicated snow tire will handle the best in winter (obviously)
    BFG TA KO's suck balls in the snow. Had them and hated them. I have the ST Maxx and they are great in all conditions. But a soft rubber and lots of siping are what you want for winter.

9. Mar 29, 2015 at 7:03 AM
    Allstar780

Allstar780 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD Trail Teams Sport
    3" Lift, 32" Goodyear Duratrac, XD Series Hoss Rims
    I ran Nokian Hakkapeliitta's on my car, they did really well as long as it wasn't overly deep snow... The car had maybe 4 inches of ground clearance and the tires could do about 2 inches of snow before spinning... Those were not studded but they held like studded tires on the ice... The Hakkapeliitta LT2 are what I'll be looking at if I decide the Duratrac don't suit me next winter

10. Mar 29, 2015 at 7:06 AM
    vssman

vssman Rocket Engineer

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Naugatuck, CT
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 double cab
    I currently am running General Artic max 265/75-16 studded. They are really good on ice and frozen packed snow but not good at all in deep stuff. My last truck ran cooper m/t studded and they were much better but that may have had more to do with the 255/85-16 size with a Cummins weight vs the tire itself. Going wider will only make on road traction worse in the snow. Next time, I'll be getting a tire more like the Cooper M/T or Duratracs and again with studs.

11. Mar 29, 2015 at 11:01 AM
    Chuckl

Chuckl [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    01 Prerunner 4d Impulse Red
    K&N filter, stripes, rear valance
    Who makes the ST Maxx?

12. Mar 29, 2015 at 11:09 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    We have gone through a three sets of blizzaks in the last few years, and still use them on the WRX. On the wrangler sahara and the taco, Firestone Winterforce UV studded snow tires with the mountain symbol.

If you really want to move in winter conditions, dedicated snows are the way to go...unless you use chains.

13. Mar 29, 2015 at 2:44 PM
    WOODEX M.E.

WOODEX M.E. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD OR Pyrite Mica
    TRD Supercharger, Speedhut TRD Boost Gauge, Speedhut TRD AFR Gauge, PLX Wideband Controller W/Bosch O2 Sensor, Cravenspeed Boost Pod, AFE Pro Dri II Si Intake, Calvert Racing Caltrac Traction Bars. URD Catback Exhaust, URD 2.825" Super Grip Pulley, URD Spec-U Equal Length Headers, URD 255lph Fuel Pump, OEM FPR Mod.
    Cooper does. It will get you through deep snow well, but it will suck ass on ice, even with studs.

14. Mar 29, 2015 at 5:19 PM
    teneighty

Member:
    Right behind you. NY
    Vehicle:
    On an ice rink yes, on normal road snow/ice no :)

15. Mar 29, 2015 at 6:04 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    have you had them in packed snow/ice? what about heavy wet or slushy snow?

I have nitto terra graps now and love them in everything i have had them in. wet roads, 2+ feet of snow, heavy wet and or slushy snow, hard packed icy snow and mud. but starting to look at what i want next, will probably get new tires come fall of this year. I like the looks of the ST maxx.

16. Mar 29, 2015 at 6:28 PM
    teneighty

Member:
    Right behind you. NY
    Vehicle:
    I saw it all this winter, they were excellent in the slush and snow. We got some snow and then some rain early in the winter so there was about 3"-5" of slush. They handled it excellent, they were awesome in all types of snow and depths. Great on hard packed snow and as good as any non-studded tire is on ice.

17. Mar 29, 2015 at 6:34 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    glad to hear! we get a lot of heavy wet snow here or slush. but i see nice light kinda powder snow and deep in NY when i go up.

18. Mar 29, 2015 at 7:59 PM
    Poindexter

Poindexter Well-Known Member

Member:
    north of Denali
    Vehicle:
    15 V6 auto 4x4 mag gray
    I saw a late model Taco with Blizzaks on all four corners at the grocery store just today.

My opinion, having run them on my wife's cars for years:

With Blizzaks, I want a spare set of rims. I'll mount the Blizzaks on the spare set, mount them after we get some hard pack snow down on the roads and dismount them before bare pavement shows.

Once Blizzaks get run on bare pavement for not very long the factory siping gets worn away and you have a pretty good year round tire that is decent in snow. With full height tread blocks and the factory siping working for you Blizzaks are an excellent winter tire, head and shoulders above any non-studded tire in my experience, but not as good as studs.

If you are going to run a two sets of rims anyway, you can get studded tires cheaper than Blizzaks, but maybe have to replace them more often.

On the Camry's we have owned and the AWD Matrix currently in the garage Blizzaks are AWESOME - never ran them on our light trucks here before.

FWIW I will probably got to Toyo OC AT 2s once the stockers are worn down, with some kind of compatible not chain traction device for all four corners of my 4x4 Taco. Maybe the Hankooks. With 4WD and the 6 months of practice I get every winter I am OK on snow with 3 season tires and 4WD for all but maybe 3-4 days of the year.

If you are thinking Blizzaks, do check the load rating on those, I bet mounting those will really cut into your hauling and toting capacity, should be fine for a grocery getter.

19. Mar 30, 2015 at 2:50 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    We are getting three seasons from the Blizzaks on the Jeep Wrangler, per set, and on the third season, we run them to fall, for a new set of Blizzaks. They are wonderful tires, but maybe not for you...

20. Mar 30, 2015 at 3:47 AM
    teneighty

Member:
    Right behind you. NY
    Vehicle:
    Yup, They ripped up this NY winter... And it was a good one ;)

Products Discussed in

To Top