1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

tire age and size

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by paulmars, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Apr 23, 2015 at 11:29 AM
    paulmars

paulmars [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    My 2003 tacoma 2wd 2.4L. Just hit 60k miles. Ive had several flats (nails and screws) over the years so I think each tire must have at least one plug. Plugs are fine, no leaks. However, these original tires, which have plenty of tread left, are getting old and have been baked in the Florida sun. Additionally more then once it sat in the driveway with a flat for a few days up to a week, which cant be good for the sidewalls. Sidewalls are all cracked, which i dont think matters, but im not sure.

I drive it 2 to 4 times a month between 10 and 100 miles each time. Often on the highway. No off road driving. Rarely do I carry anything in the bed and i have never towed anything and have no plans to change. Never has more the 200 pounds been in the bed, except for the 3 loads of dirt that i moved 5 miles each. the bed was full, I dont know how much that weighs.

Two questions:

One: should i go ahead and spring for a new set of 5 tires? (for safety reasons)

Two: Looking at truck tires, they are more expensive then car tires. So, looking at car tires I found some inexpensive tires that get good ratings by rating services and by users and this tire is rated at 97s which is the same as my original tires and the same as specified in the owners manual. Now, this tire that Im considering does not come in my size. My size is 205x75r15 97s which equals a circumference of 153.75 The closest I find in the tire im considering 215x70 which is circumference 150.50 which is close enough for me. i dont think 10mm wider should be an issue. Using the original alloy wheels.

Tire im considering Firestone Precision Touring 215/70r15.

Advice?

tks,
    pa

2. Apr 23, 2015 at 4:07 PM
    DVexile

DVexile Exiled to the East

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRD OR 4X4
    If you are saying you've got 12 year old factory tires on your vehicle then the answer is yes, definitely replace them for safety reasons. The safe lifetime of a tire is usually considered about six years. Certainly you can go longer than that, but 12 is a really long time for a tire.

Passenger tires are fine on a truck and in general will be more fuel efficient than a light truck (LT) tire.

The size of tire you are considering should be just fine.

I don't have any experience or knowledge of that particular tire.

Products Discussed in

To Top