Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Screw in tire!

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-15-2009, 05:39 AM   #1
missileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
missileman125fw's Tacoma Gallery
Screw in tire!

I was on my way into work the other day as I was rolling through the gate. This guy Marcus looked down at my right front tire and asked if I knew I had a screw in the tire. Well, no I didn't! The next day, I took it to Tire Kingdom. The dude took it back and after about 5 minutes walked back up front and said he can't patch my tire. He said the screw was in the sidewall. Sidewall? Really? He could have a new tire there in 2 hours and that would be $308 with mounting thrown in for free! I knew my tires were expensive but 308? He said that the tire is still holding air so I kindly declined having it replaced. So, my question is, How necessary is replacing that tire? I know that you should replace in pairs so I'm looking at over $600. Is this dangerous driving this way? I drive over 80 mph on the Interstate. I'd hate to have a blowout.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:51 AM   #2
wes is on a distinguished road

wes's Tacoma Gallery
hey there--since the screw is not in the sidewall of the tire I would plug the tire and "drive on".U can buy a plug kit at any auto parts store or wal-mart.Get the plug kit with the T-Handle grips .u will have a much easier time.Hope this helps-Wes.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:54 AM   #3
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
for $600 you could have a whole new set of tires..id get that plugged/replaced ASAP.

A screw that close to the sidewall is a blowout waiting to happen. You dont know if that screw is curved inside or not and rubbing on the inside of the tire.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:00 AM   #4
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David Tarantino's Tacoma Gallery
you need some new revos anyway
Old 05-15-2009, 06:13 AM   #6
Carolina Alliance: LAZY DIVISION
AUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant future
AUDITECH's Tacoma Gallery
A tire shop is not going to plug that to close to the side wall
Old 05-15-2009, 06:13 AM   #7
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Missleman, It looks like your tread is about gone (from the pics). I would go the new tire route. That screw is in a bad spot.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:13 AM   #8
Carolina Alliance: LAZY DIVISION
AUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant future
AUDITECH's Tacoma Gallery
you can do it and it might hold
Old 05-15-2009, 10:49 AM   #9
Simon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Simon2150's Tacoma Gallery
If you're going to spend 600, I'd get all 4 new tires, IMO.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:15 AM   #10
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
I roll with the tire plug kit, small channel lock pliers & 12v air pump FTW. Fuck changing tire & rollin on spare! Plug that bitch & be mobile again in less time & much cleaner.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:19 AM   #11
Stu will become famous soon enoughStu will become famous soon enough

Stu's Tacoma Gallery
At the VERY least, swap it with a rear tire. Blowouts on the rear are not as FATAL as blowouts in the front. No point in verifying the impact ratings for your Taco!
Old 05-15-2009, 11:41 AM   #13
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiikeyD View Post
i got my nitto 285.75.16 Tg's for 600
That size is more common than what MM is running, therfore the lower price. i belive he has 265/50/20's
Old 05-15-2009, 12:08 PM   #14
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
285/60/18 NTG reg loads will run ya 800 give or take a bit. 31" tire
Old 05-15-2009, 01:03 PM   #15
nasty ned is just really nicenasty ned is just really nicenasty ned is just really nicenasty ned is just really nice
nasty ned's Tacoma Gallery
been theyre done that!!!!

do not plug!!!!!!
slow down!!!!
find a dealer that will match internet price!!!!(free alignment,balance etc.)
buy tires and have piece of mind!!!!!
don't get ripped off!!!!!
if there isn't sweat coming off him ,your'e paying too much

good luck
Old 05-15-2009, 01:11 PM   #16
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I think you'd be fine if you backed the screw out, put some loc-tite on it and screwed it back in.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:13 PM   #17
Stu will become famous soon enoughStu will become famous soon enough

Stu's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
I think you'd be fine if you backed the screw out, put some loc-tite on it and screwed it back in.

Only as long as you torqued to spec.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:15 PM   #18
GoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to all

Air Force: Load Toad (462/2W1)
Name: Jon
GoBlueFan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Missleman, It looks like your tread is about gone (from the pics). I would go the new tire route. That screw is in a bad spot.

yep, no patch will survive in that spot. Way too much deflection going on that near the sidewall. Suck it up and get some new hoops for your wheels. Safety is never compromised for cost.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:15 PM   #19
petersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
petersharp's Tacoma Gallery
What tires? $300 seems like a lot. Get some other opinions on whether it can be plugged.