Anybody interested in cutting and "boxing in" your cab/frame mount may find this usefull. This thread is not for the squemish as it contains cutting and welding of factory equipement.
A little over a week ago, I posted here about some 33" tire rubbing issues I was having.....after collecting a few good ideas for how to remedy my problem, I finally decided to go with the solution that was furthest down on my list and seemingly, the scariest of all. I have my reasons though.
First off, I'm lovin the looks of the Motmetals and 33', so there's no way in Hell that they're gonna come off. Second, after looking at the body mount I came to realize there is a lot of room for this mod without compromising the integrity of the frame function.
I'm kind of a do it yourself person, so I've decided to tackle this project on my own. Why pay someone to do what I can do, for way cheaper and well...maybe even better, plus it will be kinda fun and I'll walk away with a sense of accomplishment when I'm done.
Here is the start...there's some before pics in this link http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/36965-finally-got-lifted.html
Looking up, with the tire fully kinked, I used a plumb bob (of sorts) to align and mark where the tire would rub at full articulation, and then made my mark about 1/4-1/2" further back.
Before cutting, I marked all of where I would cut...to better give me an idea of how I would need to patch the gaping hole. Sorry, no pics of my marks. I'll be doing the passenger side tomorrow, so hopefully pics then.
Here's the hole...hope to weld in some plate tomorrow.
Tons of clearance now...but, this is on level ground. The red line shows roughly where it used to rub.