Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

How to: tire rub, cab mount mod...

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-18-2009, 01:28 AM   #1
Vegans taste like tree bark
schoonie is a name known to allschoonie is a name known to allschoonie is a name known to allschoonie is a name known to allschoonie is a name known to allschoonie is a name known to all

schoonie's Tacoma Gallery
How to: tire rub, cab mount mod...

Hey all...

Anybody interested in cutting and "boxing in" your cab/frame mount may find this usefull. This thread is not for the squemish as it contains cutting and welding of factory equipement.

A little over a week ago, I posted here about some 33" tire rubbing issues I was having.....after collecting a few good ideas for how to remedy my problem, I finally decided to go with the solution that was furthest down on my list and seemingly, the scariest of all. I have my reasons though.

First off, I'm lovin the looks of the Motmetals and 33', so there's no way in Hell that they're gonna come off. Second, after looking at the body mount I came to realize there is a lot of room for this mod without compromising the integrity of the frame function.

I'm kind of a do it yourself person, so I've decided to tackle this project on my own. Why pay someone to do what I can do, for way cheaper and well...maybe even better, plus it will be kinda fun and I'll walk away with a sense of accomplishment when I'm done.

Here is the start...there's some before pics in this link http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/36965-finally-got-lifted.html

Looking up, with the tire fully kinked, I used a plumb bob (of sorts) to align and mark where the tire would rub at full articulation, and then made my mark about 1/4-1/2" further back.
Before cutting, I marked all of where I would cut...to better give me an idea of how I would need to patch the gaping hole. Sorry, no pics of my marks. I'll be doing the passenger side tomorrow, so hopefully pics then.

Here's the hole...hope to weld in some plate tomorrow.

Tons of clearance now...but, this is on level ground. The red line shows roughly where it used to rub.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:32 AM   #2
it's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud of

it's in coma's Tacoma Gallery
what did you use to cut the metal?
Old 05-18-2009, 04:03 AM   #3
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian

Please tell me how long this takes you to do... thats pretty much the only thing stopping me right now is having enough time to do it.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:26 AM   #4
Negative1 will become famous soon enough

Negative1's Tacoma Gallery
Awsome... Kudos to you for having the cahuna's to get right in there and remedy the problem.

Can you post after pics of the boxed in plate welded in place?
Your truck looks awsome with the new lift/wheels.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:36 AM   #6
Rocking your mom's world Since 1997
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by it's in coma View Post
I'm sure it could be done even if all you had was a grinder.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:04 AM   #7
Jag/Nole Fanatic!
Rippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to behold

Name: John
Rippin101's Tacoma Gallery
Good work, way to get in there and get 'er done!
Old 05-18-2009, 09:12 AM   #8
Fire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
haha.... thanks for reminding me. i cut mine like a year ago and have never gone back and boxed them in... guess maybe i should look into that. ohh and no worries on your cut... mines cut WAY more than that and hasnt given me any problems at all.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:51 PM   #9
schoonie is a name known to allschoonie is a name known to allschoonie is a name known to allschoonie is a name known to allschoonie is a name known to allschoonie is a name known to all

Quote:
Funny you should ask...beleive it or not (and let me just add I do know better and I'm not proud of this) I started with a dremel and an 1 1/2" cut off wheel. Not recomended at all. After cutting for what seemed like 1/2 hour I made it through about a 4-5" span of the 1/8" steel and the dremel was ready to melt in my hand, it was so friggen hot. But, at the time my only other option was my pneumatic die grinder and a 3" cut off wheel...problem is, my compressor is only 12 gallons and just can't keep up with the air flow demand.

Anyways...after monkeying around with the silly dremel, I decided...SCREW THIS!!!...and went straight to Home Depot and bought a 4 1/2" grinder and a couple of cut off wheels only $35.00. Why oohhh why didn't I do this sooner. Cutting through the frame member, now, is much like cutting through butter and I chopped hours off of my would be finish time if I'd continued with the Dremel.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by briangp View Post

Please tell me how long this takes you to do... thats pretty much the only thing stopping me right now is having enough time to do it.
I'll keep tabs on my time...it may take a couple days, as I'm squeezing in little bits of time after work, not to mention I'm being somewhat meticulous as I've never done this before...scary huh? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negative1 View Post
Awsome... Kudos to you for having the cahuna's to get right in there and remedy the problem.

Can you post after pics of the boxed in plate welded in place?
Your truck looks awsome with the new lift/wheels.
Thanks. Yeah, when I start boxing them in I'll snap some shots as I go. Oh god, now the pressure is on, I'd better go practice my "stack of dimes" welds before showing them to the world.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:21 PM   #11
Fire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
just remember to remove or take care of the cab bushing before you weld... wouldnt want to catch that baby on fire!
Old 05-20-2009, 03:58 PM   #12

2nd installment.....

Before I started this mod, I was full of questions and even some doubts, so like many of us here I searched around...but I never did see a full write up...as in start to finish. I'm going to break it down so that it looks as easy as it really is.

Quote:

Here are the right side marks...before cutting.

Because the 41/2" cutting wheel only allows you to cut in so deep before hitting the arbor, I cut three sections.
First along the bottom, round the bottom front corner and a pass down the middle of the front plate

next; cut off the rounded end

Last; cutting up from the bottom/inside...carefull not to hit the body

I finished cutting the right side Monday night. Last night I took it to my work, where there is a concrete loading ramp and checked for contact at nearly maximum articulation...I've got quite a bit of room, but I'll eat up 1/8" when I box it in...and if I try to maintain some sort of "almost factory" asthetics, I'm looking at 1/4" biting into the free-space. This is all R&D for me, so I may decide to cut a little more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire931 View Post
just remember to remove or take care of the cab bushing before you weld... wouldnt want to catch that baby on fire!
Thanks for the tip...I was planning to maybe stuff some wet rags in and around the mount before I do a full pass with the welder. I'll probably just tack my peices in place for a short while and give it one more articulation test before finishing my welds.

Tires come off...cut...tires go on...test...tires come off...tack weld...tires go on...test some more...tires come off... aaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh....LOL. I'm being anal with this, but I just want it to be right.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:06 PM   #13
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Looks good man, hopefully everything goes perfect. Thanks for taking the time to do the R&D for us so we don't have to later! We all appreciate it!
Old 06-11-2009, 02:00 AM   #14

Third Installment:

Wheeewwww....I'm back at it again today. I've been busy lately having fun in the sun, racing my bike, riding my quad, and drinking copious amounts of booze while simultaniously either shooting beer bottle caps with the pellet gun or killing mosquitos' with a bug zapper racket.

Quick reveiw of what I'd accomplished up until today.
Both body mounts were cut and I partially tacked in a plate on the passenger side.

Fabbing up the peices to fill the hole is probably the most time consuming part of the whole job. My first attempt, for the passenger side, didn't go so well and I had to start over on another chunk of steel. But, I got smarter on my second try when I broke out the purple Crayola crayon and some paper to make a template. As if I where a kid in preschool...I stripped the paper off of the crayon and used it's side to rub out the shape of the hole...just like we used to do with leaves.

If your borrowing a welder, like I am, it is a good idea to practice on something first, as the suggested settings are never right. Did I practice??? NOPE. Just as I stated above, the suggested settings are never right. My nearly perfect, Crayola production, fabbed peice of steel was now tacked in with the worst bird shit welds I've ever created. That is why god made grinders...LOL.

Today I (partially) boxed in the driver's side with finish welds...and played connect the dots between my previous, passenger side, bird shit tack welds, using the Lincoln for a pencil.

Lucky me...the first fab attempt that I mentioned above, well, that peice just happend to fit in the driver's side hole...LIKE A GLOVE. Here's a pic.

Drivers side tack welds...the other side is just to embarassing.

Passenger side...(partially) finished and primered.

I'm not sure if I'm done or not. There is still a gap in the bottom...as you can see in the picture above. My plan was to make a bottom corner peice that somewhat follows the factory look...but I may just leave it alone
Old 06-11-2009, 07:04 AM   #15
Mandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mandy3206's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

Cool, now I got something to refer to when time comes.

I got the wheels and tires, waiting for the 60k warranty checkup so I can start cutting.

A yr ago at 35k, seemed like a bad idea to cut the truck, but as time passed by, now it seems like a bad idea not to do it

Got the mild lift in place, and the wheels and tires stashed for 5 months now, I guess the hacking will start sometime after summer is over, can't hardly wait.....................
Old 06-11-2009, 07:23 AM   #16
Negative1 will become famous soon enough

Negative1's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Schoonie,

Wondering why you didn't make a plate that covered the entire cab mount you cut out?
Why the short piece if your doing it, why wouldn't you just do it once?
Old 06-11-2009, 08:20 AM   #17
Mandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mandy3206's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

I believe that he's trying to mimic the OEM bottom of the mount, I would weld only a small support in the midle and lave the sides open for a good drainage and easy cleanup of the mounts, each time I hit the mud pits, it's a lot of time to clean the OEM mounts
Old 06-11-2009, 02:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negative1 View Post
Hey Schoonie,

Wondering why you didn't make a plate that covered the entire cab mount you cut out?
Why the short piece if your doing it, why wouldn't you just do it once?
This thought had crossed my mind many times...kept telling myself your doing it the hard way. But, I'm trying to keep some of the OEM asthetics. I guess you could say, I'm trying to make it less noticable. I'm sure hind sight is going to kick me in the ass later....LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy3206 View Post
I believe that he's trying to mimic the OEM bottom of the mount, I would weld only a small support in the midle and lave the sides open for a good drainage and easy cleanup of the mounts, each time I hit the mud pits, it's a lot of time to clean the OEM mounts
Exactly...
Old 09-03-2009, 12:36 AM   #19
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Once complete have you had any rubbing or are you golden now?
Old 09-03-2009, 12:57 AM   #20
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
This is on my mod list..... I have no issues with rubbing now since i only have 32's, but i plan to stuff some 295's(33.5") on my truck with the 3" lift so I know rubbing will be in my future. lol