Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Tires*Tires*Tires*Tires !!!!!

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-23-2013, 01:27 PM   #621
RAGE!!!!
mh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, 12th MAR HQ BTRY TAP
Name: Mike
mh.meier's Tacoma Gallery
Durafails wont be much different. I had a friend who switched from the geolanders to the duratracs and they were about the same. no experience with the coopers though
Old 10-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #622
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Hairy Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspar View Post
Iím looking at the Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx and the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac. Below is a photo of my last truck with some Yokohama Geolander A/Tís. Itís been a couple of years since I sold the truck and bought my 2011 Tacoma brand new. It has the stock 2 ply highway tires on it. Iím curious as to how much different the ride might be between the Coopers and the Goodyears compared to the tires in the photo. Basically tread design and highway noise.

The tires in the photo below arenít the aggressive tread I remember, but man they picked up the rocks.

Duratracs and STMaax have larger voids. They will likely be louder on the highway and pinch less but larger stones. Larger voids helps them keep clear of mud as well.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #623
mr28 is on a distinguished road
mr28's Tacoma Gallery
Is cooper a good reliable tire?
Old 10-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #624
wingspar will become famous soon enough

wingspar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Taco View Post
Duratracs and STMaax have larger voids. They will likely be louder on the highway and pinch less but larger stones. Larger voids helps them keep clear of mud as well.
The tires in the photo above were pretty worn when I took those photos, and unfortunately, I canít find any other photos that show the tires. The voids look much smaller that either the Duratracs or Coopers. I just wish I could see and feel the tires in person, but all I can do is look at photos and ask questions online.

I donít need a real aggressive tire, but those highway tires have got to go. That was the first thing I wanted to do when I bought the truck, but it seemed to be a not so wise thing to do money wise.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #625
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
The tires in the photo above were pretty worn when I took those photos, and unfortunately, I canít find any other photos that show the tires. The voids look much smaller that either the Duratracs or Coopers. I just wish I could see and feel the tires in person, but all I can do is look at photos and ask questions online.

I donít need a real aggressive tire, but those highway tires have got to go. That was the first thing I wanted to do when I bought the truck, but it seemed to be a not so wise thing to do money wise.
The Geolanders definitely have smaller voids. IMO, the ST.Maxx and Duratrac are mud/all terrain hybrids. If you are significantly more on road than off, and your off roading is dirt roads and light trails the Maxx and the Duratrac are overkill. If you are off road a lot they are more suitable.
They certainly look cool.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:38 AM   #626
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Iím looking at the Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx and the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac. Below is a photo of my last truck with some Yokohama Geolander A/Tís. Itís been a couple of years since I sold the truck and bought my 2011 Tacoma brand new. It has the stock 2 ply highway tires on it. Iím curious as to how much different the ride might be between the Coopers and the Goodyears compared to the tires in the photo. Basically tread design and highway noise.

The tires in the photo below arenít the aggressive tread I remember, but man they picked up the rocks.

I had the GeolandArs on my '04 then my '08. They were a bit quieter than the Duratracs but not by much. The Duratracs were a much better tire than the Yokos.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #627

Quote:
The Geolanders definitely have smaller voids. IMO, the ST.Maxx and Duratrac are mud/all terrain hybrids. If you are significantly more on road than off, and your off roading is dirt roads and light trails the Maxx and the Duratrac are overkill. If you are off road a lot they are more suitable.
They certainly look cool.
I am beginning to think that the S/T Maxx and Duratracs might be overkill, but I would agree, they look cool, but I have to think past the cool factor to performance for my type of driving. Most driving is on logging roads with an occasional foray off road, but I usually avoid mud if I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUSETACO View Post
I had the GeolandArs on my '04 then my '08. They were a bit quieter than the Duratracs but not by much. The Duratracs were a much better tire than the Yokos.

Ah yes. Thatís what I remember my Geolanders looking when they were new. Canít say I was real impressed with tread life. The Discoverer S/T seems to have a more aggressive tread than the S/T Maxx by looking at photos on the Cooper web site. The Discoverer AT3 looks like something I should look at also. Any experience with those?
Old 10-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #628
chop is on a distinguished road
Name: byron
chop's Tacoma Gallery
getting my new duratracs on saturday , wondering if any of you have studded them for winter?
Old 10-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #629
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I am beginning to think that the S/T Maxx and Duratracs might be overkill, but I would agree, they look cool, but I have to think past the cool factor to performance for my type of driving. Most driving is on logging roads with an occasional foray off road, but I usually avoid mud if I can.

Ah yes. Thatís what I remember my Geolanders looking when they were new. Canít say I was real impressed with tread life. The Discoverer S/T seems to have a more aggressive tread than the S/T Maxx by looking at photos on the Cooper web site. The Discoverer AT3 looks like something I should look at also. Any experience with those?
I have no experience with Coopers other than Weather masters. But, I hear the AT3 is a good tire.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #631

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUSETACO View Post
I have no experience with Coopers other than Weather masters. But, I hear the AT3 is a good tire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORNWILDGUY View Post
I run the AT3 now and no issues at all and have also run the ltz on my previous truck with no issues. Both have been great tires.
Itís not a tire Iíve seen mentioned here before, but looks like it might work. I really wish I could see some of these tires in person rather than trying to make a decision online. Some of them look great, then I see a post someone made, and they are too aggressive, then I see another photo that makes them look great. Iíd like to figure this one out in the next couple of weeks at the latest while the money is still in my pocket.

Does anyone have any photos of the Cooper AT3 on their Tacoma?
Old 10-25-2013, 08:48 PM   #632
Bush Pusher

Quote:
Itís not a tire Iíve seen mentioned here before, but looks like it might work. I really wish I could see some of these tires in person rather than trying to make a decision online. Some of them look great, then I see a post someone made, and they are too aggressive, then I see another photo that makes them look great. Iíd like to figure this one out in the next couple of weeks at the latest while the money is still in my pocket.

Does anyone have any photos of the Cooper AT3 on their Tacoma?
did you try here?
https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&s...60.UDnb2ZpK9vc
Old 10-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #633

Quote:
Never would have found that. Thanks for the link. Was able to find all the tires I am thinking about and save photos so I could look at them when I want. I also found a ton of stuff on the AT3's on YouTube. These are probably at the top of my list now.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:34 PM   #634
chop's Tacoma Gallery
i was looking at the at3's as well until i seen them up close . i went with duratrax because they are more aggressive looking and better on ice and snow.
i guess different strokes for different folks
Old 10-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #635
chop's Tacoma Gallery
here are my tires
Old 10-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #636
chop's Tacoma Gallery
url=http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/362916/cat/500][/url]
Old 10-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #637

Quote:
Originally Posted by chop View Post
i was looking at the at3's as well until i seen them up close . i went with duratrax because they are more aggressive looking and better on ice and snow.
i guess different strokes for different folks
I got to see some AT3's that were just installed and not even driven on yet today, and to me, the tread looked a tad bit too aggressive. The salesman thought Iíd be better off with some BF Goodrich All Terrain tires he showed me, but the tread didnít look aggressive enough, but he said it was their best selling AT tire they sell. I dunknow, but I thought I wanted the AT3's, but now I think I have to rethink the whole thing all over. Yep. Different strokes for different folks. The AT3's were nice and quiet when the guy drove his truck off.

So, what are opinions of the BF Goodrich All Terrain tires? Anyone with experience with the Cooper AT3's and the BF Goodrich All Terrain Tires?
Old 10-30-2013, 06:48 AM   #638
RAGE!!!!
mh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, 12th MAR HQ BTRY TAP
Name: Mike
mh.meier's Tacoma Gallery
in my opinion the AT3's don't look aggressive at all. They look like street tires with sidewall protection. BFG AT's are owned by more people and tacoma owners for that matter, than I can count. If you want a street tire that can be used off road do the BFG AT and call it good.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:36 AM   #639

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh.meier View Post
in my opinion the AT3's don't look aggressive at all. They look like street tires with sidewall protection. BFG AT's are owned by more people and tacoma owners for that matter, than I can count. If you want a street tire that can be used off road do the BFG AT and call it good.
Well, Iíll have to admit, when the guy drove off in his truck with the AT3's they didnít look aggressive at all, but up close and putting my fingers in the grooves, they seemed aggressive. I donít even remember noticing the sidewalls.

The salesman told me the same thing about the BFG ATís. They are owned by more people than any other AT tire they sell, and now I hear it on the forum, so I at least need to add them to the list of tires Iím looking at. Tread depth was much less than the AT3's and not nearly as aggressive looking as the AT3's.

He also told me there is no millage warranty on the BFG ATís because they are such a good seller and not needed, but the AT3's have a 55,000 mile warranty. Have to wonder what that is all about. What does a 55,000 mile warranty do for you anyway? Does that mean they replace them if the tread has less depth left in them at 55,000 miles than specified in their warranty?

Products Discussed in this Thread