Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

4x4 problems with bigger tires?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-14-2007, 06:45 AM   #1
tacoGrande is on a distinguished road

tacoGrande's Tacoma Gallery
4x4 problems with bigger tires?

I just thought i'd throw this out there to see if anyone else has had a similar problem or ever heard of this. I have an 06 Tacoma TRD 4x4. About 9 months ago I installed a 3" revtek lift and went up to 33x10.50's all-terrains on stock 17" TRD sport wheels. I had no problems. This summer I switched out the tires with some 33x12.50 Mud tires (Mickey Thompson MTZ's) and added 1" spacers behind the stock wheels to keep them from rubbing. That woked fine at first also. Then the 4x4 started to have problems going in and out of 4 wheel drive and 2 wheel drive. I would have to shut off the truck and turn the switch to 2 wheel to reset it or it would stay locked in 4x4 no matter what I did. I took it into the dealer who pulled the tranny and replace some 4x4 module. Again, everything worked fine.... for about 3 days. So I took it back again and the said that when they lifted the truck into the air it switched back and forth fine, but on the ground is when there are problems. The said they think it is the tires causing the problems. I have never heard of that before. Today they are trying a set of stock tires on it to see if it makes a difference. Has anyone had a similar experience. I know there are quite a few tacoma's out there with 3" lifts and 33's.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:12 AM   #2
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
I have never heard of that. It sounds more like the hubs are not disengaging for some reason. That is kinda weird, but you should know that 4WD (manual or automatic) performs COMPLETELY different on the ground as it does up in the air on a lift. There is no resistance to work against when it is off the ground.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:33 AM   #3
tacoGrande is on a distinguished road

tacoGrande's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I asked the dealership to call me when they swapped tires so I could see for myself if it was working. Mysteriously it now appears to be yet another burned out module that controls locking the front differential in for 4 wheel drive. Odd. I guess I'll find out tommorow if that fixes the problem, when I pick it up from the dealership.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:36 AM   #4
toyo4x4 is on a distinguished road
toyo4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to toyo4x4
hey I don't know what you have for a warranty or anything but when i got mine i was told that if i had the same problem 3 times consecutively and Toyota either couldn't fix it or if the problem keeps coming back then you are supposed to be able to get everything replace by Toyota. Good luck man.