LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Stupid Noob Question #344: Matching Tire Width to Rim Width

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2009, 05:49 AM   #1
Banned
283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: boss
Location: somewhere endlessly searching for ways to offend BUTTHURTgirl
283's Tacoma Gallery
N/A
Old 06-16-2009, 05:59 AM   #2
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David Tarantino's Tacoma Gallery
ok if i understand what your saying
you want to use a 17x9 rim with a 265/70t17 tire
NO dont do it
its not safe
Old 06-16-2009, 07:15 AM   #3
Simon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Simon2150's Tacoma Gallery
check the manufacturer website what the approved widths are for their tire sizes:
http://www.nittotire.com/#index.tire...grappler.sizes

Link for nittos.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:41 AM   #4
Be a thinker, not a stinker
usctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

usctacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tarantino View Post
NO dont do it
its not safe
Im running 265/70/17 with 17x9 rims and I don't have any problems. I didn't even look at what the manufactuer said what size rims it would fit. Shouldn't all 265/70/17 tires be the same size?
Old 06-16-2009, 08:14 AM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by usctacoma View Post
Im running 265/70/17 with 17x9 rims and I don't have any problems. I didn't even look at what the manufactuer said what size rims it would fit. Shouldn't all 265/70/17 tires be the same size?
What tire pressure are you running at?

Did you do a 'chalk test'?
Old 06-16-2009, 08:21 AM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Most of your rim widths are going to be slightly smaller than the tire width.

For instance - most 1st gen tacomas run with 7" wide rims and have 31"x10.5" tires.

15x9" rim is a bit on the large side.

I run 15x8" on my Jeep and I have 35x12.50" tires on them at 30psi.

A 17x8" would be ideal to run all sorts of different tire combinations. You gotta have the proper backspacing also.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:44 AM   #7
usctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedusctacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
What tire pressure are you running at?

Did you do a 'chalk test'?
to be honest, i have no idea, but i should probably check huh?
Old 06-16-2009, 09:23 AM   #8
STLTaco09 has a spectacular aura aboutSTLTaco09 has a spectacular aura aboutSTLTaco09 has a spectacular aura about
STLTaco09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What tires do you have? Maybe your 265/70/17 tires are made to fit a 9" wide rim? Some are, some only go to 8.5".

This is a great question too. It seem slike 17x9 are really popular, but tires such as the BFG TA/KO and KM 2 say the recommended rim width is 7"-8.5" for a 17" tire.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLTaco09 View Post
What tires do you have? Maybe your 265/70/17 tires are made to fit a 9" wide rim? Some are, some only go to 8.5".

This is a great question too. It seem slike 17x9 are really popular, but tires such as the BFG TA/KO and KM 2 say the recommended rim width is 7"-8.5" for a 17" tire.
I have Firestone Destination ATs
Old 06-16-2009, 09:39 AM   #10
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

guys iam just saying i have been doing tires/wheels for 30pl yrs
damn thats a long time i feel old now
anyway how i feel is yes it can be done
just dont feel thats its safe
Old 06-16-2009, 09:50 AM   #11
STLTaco09 has a spectacular aura aboutSTLTaco09 has a spectacular aura aboutSTLTaco09 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
I have Firestone Destination ATs
Those have a 7"-8" rim width recommendation. Interesting.

Quote:
guys iam just saying i have been doing tires/wheels for 30pl yrs
damn thats a long time i feel old now
anyway how i feel is yes it can be done
just dont feel thats its safe
Why do you feel it is unsafe? I'm not disagreeing with you, I just want your thoughts behind this. Obviously the manufacturer put those recommendations there for a reason, just like the speed rating. But what risks are you running if you run a 9" wide rim on a tire that recommends an 8" or 8.5" max rim width?
Old 06-16-2009, 10:10 AM   #12

Quote:

Why do you feel it is unsafe? I'm not disagreeing with you, I just want your thoughts behind this. Obviously the manufacturer put those recommendations there for a reason, just like the speed rating. But what risks are you running if you run a 9" wide rim on a tire that recommends an 8" or 8.5" max rim width?
it is possible that the tire can come off the wheel
now iam not saying that it will happen but it can
and iam sure that there are sum out there doing it and
nothing has happened i hope it never does
but you need to go to a bigger tire to get more with
for the tire to mount on the wheel
Old 06-16-2009, 03:05 PM   #13
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
So if I'm looking at 18x9 rims to go with some 275/70/18's that say will take up to a 9" rim I'm fine right? Just as long as I follow the tire manufacturer's spec's?
Old 06-16-2009, 03:23 PM   #14
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I'm just throwing a wild guess at this.... this is gonna be hard to explain what I'm thinking here.

This might have a lot to do with how the tire 'seats' itself on the bead of the rim at a certain tire pressure.

A rim that's too wide for the tire can affect the overall tire pressure you run to ensure proper tread wear on the street. That pressure might not be enough to keep the tire in the bead of the wheel.
If you make an aggressive turn - could cause the tire to 'roll over' and off the bead perhaps. ????

Scroll down to "rim width range"
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tirespecskey.jsp
Old 06-16-2009, 03:28 PM   #15
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I'm just throwing a wild guess at this.... this is gonna be hard to explain what I'm thinking here.

This might have a lot to do with how the tire 'seats' itself on the bead of the rim at a certain tire pressure.

A rim that's too wide for the tire can affect the overall tire pressure you run to ensure proper tread wear on the street. That pressure might not be enough to keep the tire in the bead of the wheel.
If you make an aggressive turn - could cause the tire to 'roll over' and off the bead perhaps. ????

Scroll down to "rim width range"
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tirespecskey.jsp

This is what I was thinking as welll
Old 06-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #16
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
NO dont do it
its not safe

I'm with David on this one. A 9 inch rim, paired with a 265/70R17 tire is just not a good match. It is unlikely that it would ever happen, although, you take the risk of having your tire's bead becoming un-seated, especially in off road situations with low tire pressure and rocks pushing on the side wall.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:40 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC4333 View Post
I'm with David on this one. A 9 inch rim, paired with a 265/70R17 tire is just not a good match. It is unlikely that it would ever happen, although, you take the risk of having your tire's bead becoming un-seated, especially in off road situations with low tire pressure and rocks pushing on the side wall.
There are plenty of 265/70/17 tires that have a rim width range of up to 9". Revo A/T, Destination A/T, Nitto TG to name a few. If the manufacturer has 9" in the acceptable range, then I see no problem with it at all. It's the implications of running a rim wider (1/2" in this case) that I'm curious about.

Searching for 275/65/17 and 275/70/17 tires reveals acceptable rim widths of up to 9.5". I saw a few posts on TN about someone running a 275/70/17 MTR with stock wheels and suspension without issue. Has anyone seen or heard of this size working?
Old 06-16-2009, 04:49 PM   #18
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
There are plenty of 265/70/17 tires that have a rim width range of up to 9". Revo A/T, Destination A/T, Nitto TG to name a few. If the manufacturer has 9" in the acceptable range, then I see no problem with it at all. It's the implications of running a rim wider (1/2" in this case) that I'm curious about.

Searching for 275/65/17 and 275/70/17 tires reveals acceptable rim widths of up to 9.5". I saw a few posts on TN about someone running a 275/70/17 MTR with stock wheels and suspension without issue. Has anyone seen or heard of this size working?
I started a thread on this yesterday, it seems that not too many people have this size. I guess I'll check out TN to see if I can find some info. Do you have to be a member? The last thing I need is to get addicted to another forum. If I find anything I'll post it in the thread I started so this one stays on topic.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:28 AM   #19
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
NO dont do it
its not safe
I'm running 265/70/17 on 17x9's with a tire that specifies it is approved for a 9" rim width, so how is that not safe?
BTW it is the Nitto TG
http://www.nittotire.com/#index%2Eti...appler%2Esizes
P265/70R17 113S 200-400 13.6 31.57 10.79 7.0-(8.0)-9.0 2535@35658
Old 06-17-2009, 02:28 AM   #20
Sticks For Troops
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: (T2T2X1)Air Transportation Technical Training Instructor
Name: "Butters"
AFButters's Tacoma Gallery
Oh snap you just got Fox'd