Notices

5-Lug Tire Upgrade

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-09-2009, 06:31 AM   #1
paranoidandroid is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
paranoidandroid's Tacoma Gallery
5-Lug Tire Upgrade

Looking to put larger tires on a 2009 Regular Cab 5-Lug w/ the stock 215/70/15 tires.

As far as sizes go, trying to decide between 30x9.5 or 235/75/15 to go on the stock wheels.

Would the 30x9.5 fit without rubbing? For that matter, would they look ridiculous on a non-lifted 5-lug? Would it make more sense to go with the 235/75/15s for cost ($10 less a tire)? Anyone have pictures of similar setups? All recommendations are welcome.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:57 PM   #2
paranoidandroid is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
paranoidandroid's Tacoma Gallery
Went with 235/75/15s. They make the truck look much nicer...
Old 07-31-2009, 09:37 PM   #3
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
I've got 30x9.5's. They rubbed until I removed the small black boxes that are mounted on the rear of the front wheel wells. Here's a pic from my gallery.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:14 AM   #4
otter is on a distinguished road

Name: Rob
otter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
I've got 30x9.5's. They rubbed until I removed the small black boxes that are mounted on the rear of the front wheel wells. Here's a pic from my gallery.

I really like how that looks. I'm curious, though (not much came up through searching), are people who change to larger tires just ignoring the speedometer issue, or are they using an ECU flash (or signal calibrator) to correct it?
Old 08-01-2009, 08:23 AM   #5
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
yeah do you not have a speedo issue with those tires on there?
Old 08-02-2009, 04:00 PM   #6
spp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to behold
spp's Tacoma Gallery
Just put 235/70/15 and my speedo is right on according to my GPS. Before it was always reading faster than I was actually going. Of course gas mileage #'s have went down too.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #8
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
^^ wahts your mpg look like now with the biger tires and rims?
Old 08-02-2009, 08:53 PM   #9
Who needs 4WD?
neslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Harrelsen
neslerrah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post

x2! A good size tire to do. From my research, this is biggest tire you can do with no rubbing, without a lift. You need to do a little trimming to expose the black box. They are held in place by 3 bolts. An easy way to make room for tire size you want 30x9.5R15.

BTW, do you know what kind of wheels you will get?
Old 08-02-2009, 08:59 PM   #11
epa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eduardo
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
^^ wahts your mpg look like now with the biger tires and rims?
I'm also running 235/55/18, haven't notice much difference in mpg, but unlike him my speedometer is off by 4-5 miles. Last time I calculated mpg I got 16 mpg city driving only, lots of heavy traffic and the truck was under 1000 miles. These tires are only about 1.5 inch in diameter more than stock 215/70/15.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:11 PM   #12
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastlytaco View Post
yeah do you not have a speedo issue with those tires on there?
Yes I do have a speedo issue. In 5th gear it's off about -5 mph. Speedo says 60, really going 65. I don't plan on doing much about it. I use the Scanguage to watch my speed and mpg. It's not important enough for me to buy that 2 or 300 dollar speedo calibrator from Dakota digital.

I was calculating mpg by hand at 22 mpg typical. I just put in the scanguage and I'm still on my first tank with it. So far, it's reading the mpg for the tank at 24 mpg. Those tires were on the truck when I bought it, so I don't know what it got stock.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #13
nOLd is a glorious beacon of lightnOLd is a glorious beacon of lightnOLd is a glorious beacon of lightnOLd is a glorious beacon of lightnOLd is a glorious beacon of light

Name: nold
nOLd's Tacoma Gallery
The tires doesn't rub?
Quote:
Originally Posted by spp View Post
Just put 235/70/15 and my speedo is right on according to my GPS. Before it was always reading faster than I was actually going. Of course gas mileage #'s have went down too.