Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

tire pressure sensors =(

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-09-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
OldG is on a distinguished road
OldG's Tacoma Gallery
tire pressure sensors =(

having a heck of a time tryin to get the tire pressure warning light to go-away , and its bugging the heck out of me

here is my story, I just installed some some MTR 285's the recomended pressure on this "E" rated tire is 80 psi , because the tacoma is a much lighter truck at 4,000 lbs it doesnt require that type of psi so i had them installed with 60 psi, I wanted it much lower but played it safe with 60, anyways no sooner than the tires were insalled that the tire pressure indicator came on in the dash.Talked to a few people and was advised to have whatever toyota recomends for tire pressure for stock tires and use that for new tires regardless of size " recomended 29 psi" .So now i droped all 4 tires down to 39 psi and tried to reset the indicator by puching the reset button till it blinks 3 times slowly let up on it leave the power on for a few minutes then turn off for a few minutes like the manual said.....the warning light still comes on!!!

help me out what an I doing wrong? do i have to drop the psi more?
Old 07-09-2009, 03:43 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
First, use the chaulk method for determining tire pressure. The psi listed on the sides is the MAX psi. I run E rated tires on my Truck, and Im running 32 psi front, and 30 psi rear with no probs.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:48 PM   #4
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
First, use the chaulk method for determining tire pressure. The psi listed on the sides is the MAX psi. I run E rated tires on my Truck, and Im running 32 psi front, and 30 psi rear with no probs.
Damn...I forgot about that..
all this postwhoring is turning my brain to mush....
Old 07-09-2009, 03:48 PM   #5
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post

This is what I did and it worked good for me. I have a set of E range all terrains that also recommend 80 psi. They have all four been set to 30/32 for the last 20k miles with no ill effects. In fact the tires have held up MUCH better than I ever expected.

Also, the ride is Horrible anywhere at or about about 45 psi.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:29 PM   #6
OldG is on a distinguished road
OldG's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for all the helpfull replys guys, I didnt know the spare tire had to be equal with the the other tires ! I'll bump it up to match the others, try it for awhile and see how the tread wear develops, I want to make sure I get even tread wear
Old 07-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #7
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldG View Post
thanks for all the helpfull replys guys, I didnt know the spare tire had to be equal with the the other tires ! I'll bump it up to match the others, try it for awhile and see how the tread wear develops, I want to make sure I get even tread wear
Use the chalk line test that Chris was talking about to determine the right pressures for the rolling tires first.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:00 PM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.automedia.com/Optimizing_...cr20010801tp/1