Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Tire Pressure Sensor

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-20-2006, 10:36 AM   #1
stotd has a brilliant futurestotd has a brilliant futurestotd has a brilliant futurestotd has a brilliant futurestotd has a brilliant futurestotd has a brilliant futurestotd has a brilliant futurestotd has a brilliant futurestotd has a brilliant futurestotd has a brilliant futurestotd has a brilliant future
stotd's Tacoma Gallery
Tire Pressure Sensor

My tire pressure light came on shortly after driving it off the lot. The placard on the truck door says cold pressure 29 psi. Filled all tires to 30 and the light stays on. Any ideas???? Thanks
Old 12-20-2006, 06:54 PM   #2
06TRDsport is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDsport is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDsport is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDsport is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDsport is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDsport is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDsport is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDsport is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDsport is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDsport is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDsport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
06TRDsport's Tacoma Gallery
Try reseting the light. While holding the reset button, turn the key on and wait for the TPMS light to flash three times. If that doesn't work take it back to your dealer.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:29 PM   #3
whporwil has a brilliant futurewhporwil has a brilliant futurewhporwil has a brilliant futurewhporwil has a brilliant futurewhporwil has a brilliant futurewhporwil has a brilliant futurewhporwil has a brilliant futurewhporwil has a brilliant futurewhporwil has a brilliant futurewhporwil has a brilliant futurewhporwil has a brilliant future
whporwil's Tacoma Gallery
tire pressure

I got a thousand miles on mine before the light came on. We were told that only the dealer can reset it. Please tell us more if you know some thing, Thanks.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:00 AM   #4
RAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RAPOM's Tacoma Gallery
The owners manual tells how to reset it. What ever pressure you fill the tires to, reseting the sensor will monitor that pressure. Say if you were going to drive on the beach and want to run 15psi, you let out the air the reset the sensor and it will monitor that pressure. Just reset it evrey time you change the tire pressure. Also check your spare tire, it also has a sensor and will cause the light to blink indicating a variation in monitored pressure.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:05 PM   #5
whporwil has a brilliant futurewhporwil has a brilliant futurewhporwil has a brilliant futurewhporwil has a brilliant futurewhporwil has a brilliant futurewhporwil has a brilliant futurewhporwil has a brilliant futurewhporwil has a brilliant futurewhporwil has a brilliant futurewhporwil has a brilliant futurewhporwil has a brilliant future
now what

Did every thing by the book, twice and I still have the light.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:14 PM   #6
tacomax has a brilliant futuretacomax has a brilliant futuretacomax has a brilliant futuretacomax has a brilliant futuretacomax has a brilliant futuretacomax has a brilliant futuretacomax has a brilliant futuretacomax has a brilliant futuretacomax has a brilliant futuretacomax has a brilliant futuretacomax has a brilliant future

tacomax's Tacoma Gallery
not sure on the new tacomas with tpms but do they have a main and 2nd set button? maybe its on the 2nd? and the threshold is not set for main.. or...
maybe they were not properly set during predelivery inspection? when they are initialized the threshold is set that if the air pressure hits that number the tpms lights up
gauge psi minus absolute air pressure ...
if not it may just have a bad sensor
do these have tpms on the spare tire?? if so maybe that one is low?
just throwing some stuff out there ...
Old 12-24-2006, 05:28 PM   #7
tire sensior

After you reset the system you need to wait awhile for the system to clear it's self. My light did not go out until the truck had warmed up and was driven down the road a few miles. BUT then my check engine light came on and has stayed on, back to the book.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:23 AM   #8
gerstoy is on a distinguished road
gerstoy's Tacoma Gallery
Same thing happened to me about 1 month after purchase. Checked all four tires, one was at 28 and the others were all at 29. I kept incrementing up the pressure until I got to 35 and called BS! I was dreading a trip back to dealer (~60 mi.) and dug out the owners manual for some glimmer of hope. Book said check all tires including the spare (who woulda thought). I lowered the spare and lo and behold the pressure was at 23. Filled the spare and the light went out, then I readjusted pressures and haven't seen the light since.

I also found checking the spare was good practice, because should you have to use it, the hole you plug the spare tire lowering thing into is not easy to hit. You definitely want to be packing a flashlight at all times just in case.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:55 AM   #9
JoeTacomaTRD06 is on a distinguished road
JoeTacomaTRD06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06TRDsport View Post
Try reseting the light. While holding the reset button, turn the key on and wait for the TPMS light to flash three times. If that doesn't work take it back to your dealer.
You mean the set button? I don't see a reset button anywhere...Thanks in advance!
Old 09-09-2008, 03:10 PM   #10
mainerinexile is on a distinguished road
mainerinexile's Tacoma Gallery
FYI, I installed a 3 foot air hose extension from Ginosgarage.com that runs from the spare to the slot over the rear licence plate. Works great, I can air up the spare in 10 seconds, and no, it doesn't cause the TPMS to light up, as some posts have suggested. Cost: $6. I bought one for both vehicles.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:33 PM   #12
JoeTacomaTRD06 is on a distinguished road
JoeTacomaTRD06's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks!! Got the damn light off. I was messing around holding it, but I think the processed that worked was: While holding the button I: Turned the ignition on watched it blink 3 times, Then started the engine and watched it blink 3 times, then it went off.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:11 PM   #13
spp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to behold
spp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTacomaTRD06 View Post
Thanks!! Got the damn light off. I was messing around holding it, but I think the processed that worked was: While holding the button I: Turned the ignition on watched it blink 3 times, Then started the engine and watched it blink 3 times, then it went off.
You mean you READ the manual? Whenever in doubt RTFM
Old 09-12-2008, 05:26 PM   #14
MotoNerd
Caddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud of

Caddmannq's Tacoma Gallery
The TPMS only lights up if the pressures fall too low, right? Does anything happen if a tire goes too high?
Old 09-12-2008, 05:34 PM   #15
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddmannq View Post
The TPMS only lights up if the pressures fall too low, right? Does anything happen if a tire goes too high?
I heard that if it goes too high it turns on. I havent verified this.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:55 PM   #16
StanBo is on a distinguished road

Name: Stan
StanBo's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to StanBo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainerinexile View Post
FYI, I installed a 3 foot air hose extension from Ginosgarage.com that runs from the spare to the slot over the rear licence plate. Works great, I can air up the spare in 10 seconds, and no, it doesn't cause the TPMS to light up, as some posts have suggested. Cost: $6. I bought one for both vehicles.
Might be bringing up an old thread but thanks for the heads up on this hose. I am going to order one today for my truck.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #17
DAN_FPC is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
DAN_FPC's Tacoma Gallery
My canadian model truck. the sensor light comes on with high pressure as well as low pressure. Not sure at the pressure, 40 psi high maybe?
Old 06-16-2011, 05:41 PM   #19
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainerinexile View Post
Isn't easier to just flip the spare over so the air valve can be accessed? My '05 spare came with the valve pointing down, but the '10 was not... So, when I did the diff. breather mod, I also flipped the spare.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #20
Konarider719 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ron
Konarider719's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone know how to just get rid of the light all together. I'm running 18" wheels and 33" tires, so I don't carry my spare under the bed of the truck.