1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need tire recommendations - not for taco

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by ph16drive, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Jul 20, 2009 at 3:31 AM
    ph16drive

ph16drive [OP] \m/.....\m/

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Clevelandish
    Vehicle:
    08 DC, V6, 4x4, 5-Speed Auto
    Shorty antenna, Pop-&-Lock tailgate lock, Undercover bed cover, Aeroforce Interceptor gauge (custom mount), bed mat, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, map light mod, suspension TSB, Billy 5100's all around, Eibach springs, custom fuel tank armor plate, custom cat armor plate, painted front brake calipers, Grillcraft MX upper grill & Hella 500s, ipod adapter, dash pushbutton garage door opener, aux reverse lights, custom ipod nano 4G mount, seatbelt chime mod, custom bull bar w/ (3) Lightforce 140 Lance lights, POR-15 Chassis Coat Black drivetrain, illum 4x4 switch, xtra bed D-rings mod, locker anytime mod, diff breather relocation mod, ABS disable switch mod, Heated seats
    So I know there's a lot of you here that have another vehicle that's not a taco and I was wondering what you'd recommend in the way of tires. The wife's mini van is in need of tires soon. I'm looking for something that has a decent milage warranty and is a quality tire. I'm not a fan of Goodyear as I've NEVER gotten even close to their milage warranty. Any recommendations for tires and deals out there? Thanks.

2. Jul 20, 2009 at 3:37 AM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    tirerack has good reviews on there tires try there

3. Jul 20, 2009 at 3:38 AM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    consumer reports
    All Season Tires [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]General Grabber HTS [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]80
    [​IMG]Continental CrossContact LX [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]73
    [​IMG]Kumho Road Venture APT KL51[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]72
    [​IMG]Cooper Discoverer CTS [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]68

edit: thats the best i can get that graph to look

4. Jul 20, 2009 at 9:41 AM
    WhatThePho?

WhatThePho? Greg Graffin 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    The things required to pull bitches
    Since you don't like goodyear I would say try some BFgoodrich or Bridgestone.

5. Jul 20, 2009 at 9:57 AM
    ph16drive

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Clevelandish
    Vehicle:
    Shorty antenna, Pop-&-Lock tailgate lock, Undercover bed cover, Aeroforce Interceptor gauge (custom mount), bed mat, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, map light mod, suspension TSB, Billy 5100's all around, Eibach springs, custom fuel tank armor plate, custom cat armor plate, painted front brake calipers, Grillcraft MX upper grill & Hella 500s, ipod adapter, dash pushbutton garage door opener, aux reverse lights, custom ipod nano 4G mount, seatbelt chime mod, custom bull bar w/ (3) Lightforce 140 Lance lights, POR-15 Chassis Coat Black drivetrain, illum 4x4 switch, xtra bed D-rings mod, locker anytime mod, diff breather relocation mod, ABS disable switch mod, Heated seats
    Any "models" come to mind?

6. Jul 20, 2009 at 10:17 AM
    general61

general61 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    20 TRD OR
    what kind of mini van? Personally I would go with yokohama, michelin, pirelli products. In yokohama try the TRZ, in michelin i've got three: the destiny or harmony(same tire, sold at different places)symmetry, hydroedge. Thats my .02 cents....good luck

7. Jul 20, 2009 at 10:24 AM
    WhatThePho?

WhatThePho? Greg Graffin 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    The things required to pull bitches
    BFG, I would do the Long Trail TA tires,and for bridgestone I would go for the Dueler HT. Tire Rack gives the BFG a really high rating.

8. Jul 20, 2009 at 10:28 AM
    David Tarantino

David Tarantino Well-Known Member

Member:
    N.J.
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma
    I have a question whatmake mini van and what size
    ok so i had two questions:)

9. Jul 20, 2009 at 10:30 AM
    David Tarantino

Member:
    N.J.
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma
    and how much are you looking to spend:)

10. Jul 20, 2009 at 10:43 AM
    auart

auart Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ART
    Auburn, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Off road 2wd
    TRD OFF ROAD, Tow Package, Scanguage2, Secure Tailgate Mod, OEM Tacoma Bed Mat, Stainless Side Step Bars, Extang Trifecta Cover.
    Michelin HydroEdge.
    I put them on our Prius and they handle better in Wet Weather than any tire around. Never had any problem, and they come with a 90,000 mile warranty. Buy them at Costco and they will give you a price that will beat TireRack and you can get road hazard, and I can tell you first hand...Costco has terrific road hazard coverage! I ran into a Curb at 35 MPH in the Prius once and Busted the Tire and the rim. I went into Costco intending to buy a new tire and they adjusted it under the road hazard coverage and I ended up paying just $10 for a $120 tire! Then when the new rim came in I went back and they switched it to the new rim for FREE!
    I have been a fan of Costco ever since!

MICHELIN is the longest lasting! I have Michelin LTX A/T on my wife's 4runner and they have 40,000 miles on them and look brand new.
    We put 115,000 miles on a set of Michelin LTX tires on our old 96 4runner and actually sold the 4runner and they were still on it.

When my Taco's BFG's wear out I will put Michelin on it too!

Did I mention that " I Like Michelins?!!!"

11. Jul 20, 2009 at 10:57 AM
    ph16drive

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Clevelandish
    Vehicle:
    The mini van is an 03 Windstar SE and I believe the tire is 225/60-16. I've had good luck with Michelins on other vehicles. The OE tires are Symmetrys but they are worn out at only 35k. Uncharacteristic of Mich. if you ask me. Although, it could be her driving. I mean no disrespect to the ladies of TW but my wife drives like sh:mad:t (i.e. tailgates, jackrabbit starts, hard on the brakes, phone on the ear, if the tires are slipping in the snow - her answer is to give it more gas, always late for everything and trying to make up for it on the street, etc).

Anyhow, Tirerack has the Symmetrys rated at only 6.2 so it's kind of low IMO. The overall budget for 4 tires is $700 to $750 (after all the taxes, balance, disposal, etc). I would like a good tire and I'm willing to pay for it but it doesn't need to be performance rated, just good on milage warranty and good in the snow. I'm looking to pay for tires that overcome the "operator shortcomings" to protect her and my kids.

P.S. your advice is appreciated greatly, keep it coming please.

12. Jul 20, 2009 at 11:08 AM
    ph16drive

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Clevelandish
    Vehicle:
    I'm a fan of Michelin too. 90,000 - D A M N! How are they in snow. I see you live in AL and assume you don't get any there. That's the worst driving condition for her and the one I worry about most for her. I couldn't find a snow rating for them from Tirerack. They say they're great for "light snow" but I live a hilly street that's seldom plowed for days so it's a definite factor to me.

Yeah, I'll have to find a Costco soon as the one closest to me is still being built.

13. Jul 20, 2009 at 11:09 AM
    David Tarantino

Member:
    N.J.
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma
    if your looking to go with the michelins you may try the Harmony or the
    hydro edge
    i was never a fan of the symmetrys

a good tire for your use you may need to ck the yokohama TRZ
    its not a bad tire for the money should be about 50.000 miles

also ck out the general altimaxs

14. Jul 20, 2009 at 11:09 AM
    general61

general61 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    20 TRD OR
    Hi

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  15. Jul 20, 2009 at 11:10 AM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    Last winter we got 3-4" of snow.

16. Jul 20, 2009 at 11:11 AM
    Lentsnh

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Prius?! you mean Princess!!!! :p

17. Jul 20, 2009 at 11:17 AM
    ph16drive

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Clevelandish
    Vehicle:
    Was that total or at one time. We get a lot of lake-effect snow and average 60" each winter although last winter, we hit 60" of snow by early Jan.

18. Jul 20, 2009 at 11:18 AM
    ph16drive

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Clevelandish
    Vehicle:
    Thanks and welcome to TW.

19. Jul 20, 2009 at 11:19 AM
    Lentsnh

Member:
    Vehicle:
    at one time... We also had the rare snow thunder...

it snowed harder in Opelika 5"-6" there... about 5-10 miles away from Auburn (depends where you are)

20. Jul 20, 2009 at 11:41 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    I just put Bridgestone Potenza G019 on my 2007 Honda Civic coupe and really like them. They are a high performance all season with a treadwear rating of 460. I have a friend who put the same tire on his Mini Cooper S, and he raves about them too. They compare to the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S, but they cost less and have a longer treadwear rating.

Products Discussed in

To Top