Notices

TPMS dumbass sensors

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-15-2007, 01:51 PM   #1
Secret Agent
Viper-2 will become famous soon enough
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
Angry TPMS dumbass sensors

I did a search on this and could not find my particular issue.

I just replaced all 4 tires with Michelin LTX M/S. Had them balanced and mounted at Tire Kingdom. I watched them the whole time through the glass and everything was handled correctly it seemed.

Light is staying lit now. Tried the reset procedure and it blinks and then stay solid.

He pulled out the TPMS tool (to wake up sensors that you touch to the outside of the tire) that didn't work. Then we did the procedure in the manual and that didn't work. WTF...it worked fine before I brought it in.

We changed the pressure from 35 to 30 and still it is lit.

Any suggestions are very welcome!
Old 12-15-2007, 02:00 PM   #2
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like a visit to the dealer, just like me !
Old 12-15-2007, 04:55 PM   #3
Secret Agent
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah me too. I don't trust those chowder heads at Tire Kingdom at this point.

Hey, is an Intelligent tester the same as any OBD II code reader? Mine is getting a "link error" when I try to read it.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:00 PM   #4
`
rick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rick's Tacoma Gallery
they're idiots. take it back and tell them to fix it or you can get new tires elsewhere
Old 12-15-2007, 10:40 PM   #5
morcheez is on a distinguished road
morcheez's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to morcheez
get an 05 problem solved
Old 12-15-2007, 11:48 PM   #6
LRH is on a distinguished road
LRH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
they're idiots. take it back and tell them to fix it or you can get new tires elsewhere
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well how about have them check it, and fix it if they caused the problem. He already has the tires. A threat to not come back 60,000 miles from now probably won't faze them much........
Old 12-16-2007, 02:58 AM   #7
Secret Agent
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
Getting some good advice I think from the TN forum. Here it is in case someone elese is having the issue:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=224487
Old 12-16-2007, 02:47 PM   #8
ellsworth is on a distinguished road
ellsworth's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Tpms Sensors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper-2 View Post
I did a search on this and could not find my particular issue.

I just replaced all 4 tires with Michelin LTX M/S. Had them balanced and mounted at Tire Kingdom. I watched them the whole time through the glass and everything was handled correctly it seemed.

Light is staying lit now. Tried the reset procedure and it blinks and then stay solid.

He pulled out the TPMS tool (to wake up sensors that you touch to the outside of the tire) that didn't work. Then we did the procedure in the manual and that didn't work. WTF...it worked fine before I brought it in.

We changed the pressure from 35 to 30 and still it is lit.

Any suggestions are very welcome!
GOT TO LOVE THE TREAD ACT..THANKS FIRESTONE AND FORD FOR THE BLAME GAME ON YOUR EXPLORER WRECKS..NOW PEOPLE HAVE EVEN MORE IDIOT LIGHTS ON THE DASH..MY OLD TRUCK TOLD YOU WHAT TIRE PRESURE AND LOCATION IT WAS AND EVERY TIME THE TIRES WERE ROTATED THE SYSTEM HAD TO BE RELEARNED WITH THE KEY AND LOCK SWITCH AND HORN BEEPS FROM LF RF LR RR OR THE PRESURE DISPLAYED MAY NOT OF BEEN THE CORRECT POSITION ON THE DASH....TMI IF U ASK ME..
Old 12-16-2007, 03:09 PM   #9
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Bring it in for service (dealer). We all know they'll blame the tire installers but they should be able to resolve the problem. If it turns out it actually WAS the tire place, they'll need to make it right somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellsworth View Post
GOT TO LOVE THE TREAD ACT..THANKS FIRESTONE AND FORD FOR THE BLAME GAME ON YOUR EXPLORER WRECKS..NOW PEOPLE HAVE EVEN MORE IDIOT LIGHTS ON THE DASH..MY OLD TRUCK TOLD YOU WHAT TIRE PRESURE AND LOCATION IT WAS AND EVERY TIME THE TIRES WERE ROTATED THE SYSTEM HAD TO BE RELEARNED WITH THE KEY AND LOCK SWITCH AND HORN BEEPS FROM LF RF LR RR OR THE PRESURE DISPLAYED MAY NOT OF BEEN THE CORRECT POSITION ON THE DASH....TMI IF U ASK ME..
What does Ford have to do with Firestone's inadequacies? Absolutely nothing. Not to mention that the huge majority of the problems were related to over inflation, aka human error.

Of course, none of that helps Viper with his problem...
Old 12-16-2007, 03:42 PM   #10
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
What does Ford have to do with Firestone's inadequacies? Absolutely nothing. Not to mention that the huge majority of the problems were related to over inflation, aka human error.
Not to get off topic here, but I thought the problems arose from under-inflation, though I may be wrong. I am pretty sure that sidewall recommended pressure on the firestone tires in question was 41 and the sticker on the Explorer door said 28. (A tire with lower air pressure creates more rolling resistance. More rolling resistance creates more heat, more heat creates tire failure) The reason being all the soccer moms that wanted SUVs did not want the ride of a truck. So it was Ford who lowered the recommended pressure. Couple that with the chronic neglect that most people subject their tires to, and the explorer owners thinking they can drive them hard into corners like they were a Honda Accord, and I thought that was how you got to the Ford/Firestone fiasco. Though I may be wrong.

But you are right this does not help Viper at all. Sorry Viper, but I have nothing constructive for you other than if the TPMS worked when you went in to the tire place and it didn't when you left. I'd say that makes it pretty clearly their problem. Hell every 2006 and up has the damn things now, so one would think they'd know how to break and install tires without Fing them up. I'd make it their problem.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:14 PM   #11
Secret Agent
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
Well it looks as if I have to go to the dealer tomorrow on this issue. I tried to inflate the spare and all 4 tires to different pressures and still it stays lit.

According to the manual if it stays lit it is a pressure issue, but I don't get it now.

If those chowderheads broke a sensor that sucks. I wonder if something like this is covered under warranty?? If not I have to go back and ask them to pay for it.

PS- I have no idea what Firestone and Ford has to do with the TPMS on my Toyota Tacoma.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:55 PM   #12
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

If they broke it, they should pay for it. That's why I think going to the dealer is the best course of action. They'll be able to determine the cause and then you can take it from there.

No, you're correct Maverick, I meant to say under inflation. I know the situation well since I actually owned a '99 Explorer Limited and had the affected tires. They were replaced, of course, but the situation with the sidewall tire pressure and OEM recommended is common, like on our vehicles. I personally always run them slightly higher, 34 PSI on the Tacoma, but some folks just don't pay attention.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:50 PM   #14
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Out of curiosity have you checked the spare?
Old 12-16-2007, 06:21 PM   #15
Kylie's dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
Out of curiosity have you checked the spare?
Yes, in the link he posted for TN he says h did.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:19 PM   #16
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
Yes, in the link he posted for TN he says h did.
Damn missed that, my bad.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:00 AM   #17
Secret Agent
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabchxrunner View Post
just yank that dang led!!!!
Old 12-17-2007, 09:30 AM   #18
colttsi is on a distinguished road
colttsi's Tacoma Gallery
These sensors are extremely precise and can detect a pressure variation as low as 1psi, so look at the sticker located in your driver's door pillar and inflate your tire according to this sticker. Make sure your gauge is precise. Also, the rim that was on the front right must stay at the front right so you have to mark the rim too. I'm pretty sure that was their mistake. Pretty common mistake. Go to the dealer and they'll fix this.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:10 PM   #19
Secret Agent
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
End of the story

So I brought it into Toyota this morning. They called and said: Your left front sensor is bad (most likely broken off). It will cost you $220.00 to change it and recalibrate the system."

I called Tire Kingdom and talked to the manager. He said hold on, and two minutes later came back on and said: "Tell them to go ahead and fix it. Have him call me afterward and ask for TJ."

An hour and a half later Toyota calls me back and says it was done and it was paid for by Tire Kingdom.

I paid them $60 to change the tires in the first place. Wow.

That was very cool of those guys at TK, I commend them and recommend them. They could have given me crap about it but no grief whatsoever.

That's good business and I told them so, I will always go there.

Light is off now.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:37 PM   #20
Kylie's dad

Good job on TK's part. Good for them doing the right thing.

I'll bet anything you will see a disclaimer in the window at TK next time you go there saying: "We are not responsible for damaged TPMS sensors".