Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Front Wheel well Trimming

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-29-2009, 08:48 AM   #1
"Let's Ride!"
Padilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant future

Name: Daniel
Padilla1880's Tacoma Gallery
Front Wheel well Trimming for 285/33 Tires

So after reading/replying to all the posts about where and how much needs to be trimmed from the front wells to fit 285/33 tires i decided to make a thread about it. Maybe this could be a sticky.

Here are a few pics i took a while back. All pics are from after the trimming was done. Sorry i don't have any from before the trimming, but from looking at the pics and looking at your wells you will be able to see the difference. Trimming may vary depending on where you rub/hit.

EDIT
Thanks to Nick (MyToyTaco) for providing before pics to show what and where you would cut/trim.

Hope this helps!

Pics
Before Front Wheel Well Inner Plastics

After Front Wheel Well Inner Plastics

Before Lower Rear of Front Fender

After Lower Rear of Front Fender
Old 10-06-2009, 09:33 AM   #2
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Very helpful!
Old 10-06-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
"Let's Ride!"
Padilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekabraham View Post
Very helpful!
Thanks Derek!
Old 11-16-2009, 04:03 PM   #4
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
Just installed the same tires and I'm having the same issues.

Where did you get this done:

and do you recall how much whoever did it charged?
Old 11-16-2009, 04:08 PM   #5
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

and here are pics before trimming, just in case you want to add them to your post..
Old 11-16-2009, 05:34 PM   #6
"Let's Ride!"

For the cab mounts I went to a reputable local shop here in Temecula. They knew and have performed cab mount chops on other Tacoma's as well as Tundra's prior to mine. It was $150 for 2 hours of work. I think Demello does them for the same price.

As far as your front inner well plastics and fenders, it's nothing that a dremel can't take care of. Just use some blue painters tape (makes it so cuts/trims are nice and straight) to mask were you wanna cut/trim and start cutting/trimming.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:45 PM   #7
╒╪╕

Old 11-16-2009, 05:47 PM   #8
"Let's Ride!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyToyTaco View Post
No prob! Definitely gonna add your before pics. Will help others to see exactly where and what needs to be cut/trimmed.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:31 PM   #9
DTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DTacoms's Tacoma Gallery
Hi,

I just installed 285/75/16 BFG MT KM2, but so far I have no rubbing in the front liner. I had rubbing at full turn at the back fender so I just cut the plastic per your picture.

Do you know what is your truck's left/right caster? Mine is at 2.4 degrees following Toku's recommendation. I'm curious why I don't have to do trimming in the front.

Thanks for this post.
Attached Thumbnails
Front Wheel well Trimming-capture.jpg  
Old 11-25-2009, 11:53 PM   #10
bajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: STEVE
bajamoon's Tacoma Gallery
i never had to trim the front either, only the back section where you did the trimming.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:01 AM   #11
DTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DTacoms's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajamoon View Post
i never had to trim the front either, only the back section where you did the trimming.
Steve,

This was before you installed your pre-runner bumper, right? Are you rubbing in the cab mount?
Old 11-26-2009, 09:06 AM   #12
bajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: STEVE
bajamoon's Tacoma Gallery
ya before lt, i only had to trim the back fender well. i have not touched the cab mount yet, good idea to have it fixed though. it will crack at some point.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:53 PM   #13
"Let's Ride!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTacoms View Post
Hi,

I just installed 285/75/16 BFG MT KM2, but so far I have no rubbing in the front liner. I had rubbing at full turn at the back fender so I just cut the plastic per your picture.

Do you know what is your truck's left/right caster? Mine is at 2.4 degrees following Toku's recommendation. I'm curious why I don't have to do trimming in the front.

Thanks for this post.
Sorry been MIA.
Click Me
I have a print out of my spec in my gallery, but with the specs on the caster, it made my tires sit back more in the wheel well and rub the cab mounts. Thus resulting in chopping my mounts.

I had a re-alignment not to long ago and the specs on L/R were around 1.2-1.5 IIRC. Still sits back more in the wheel wells but not as much as before. I still rub some on the rear of the front fenders on both sides on certain inclines. Will be going to a different shop to get the alignment done.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:18 PM   #14
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
For what its worth I took almost all of the front plastic off.... after awhile the wind pushes on the plastic thats there and it will push it into the tire going down the freeway. You can see right through the front of mine..
Old 05-23-2010, 05:47 AM   #15
bighungitacoma is on a distinguished road
bighungitacoma's Tacoma Gallery
any pics of 1st gen trimming? would be appreciated
Old 06-05-2010, 12:11 AM   #16
gravlbely is on a distinguished road

Name: Eric
gravlbely's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, its good being able to see what other people have trimmed before I go chopping plastic off my truck.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:38 AM   #17
moorefun will become famous soon enough
Name: Mark
moorefun's Tacoma Gallery
For those of you that don't want to cut your fender well liners. Do what I did. Just take a heat gun (a hair dryer would probably too, as the plastic is thin) heat up the plastic and reform it. This way you don't loose the mount at the bottom of the liner. Good idea to wear some gloves!

I went back after the picture was taken, applied a little more heat and smoothed it out further. Be careful not to get it too hot, it is easy to push your finger thru the hot plastic. Go slow and give it some heat form it and let it cool. Then repeat till you get the results you are looking for.
Attached Thumbnails
Front Wheel well Trimming-before-modification.jpg   Front Wheel well Trimming-after-modification.jpg  
Old 08-05-2010, 01:55 AM   #18
Taco love in East Van
Canadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura about

Name: James
Canadianboy's Tacoma Gallery
^ Good idea, but I think it looks a bit better if you trim it neatly.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:04 AM   #19
SamoTaco is on a distinguished road

SamoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padilla1880 View Post
So after reading/replying to all the posts about where and how much needs to be trimmed from the front wells to fit 285/33 tires i decided to make a thread about it. Maybe this could be a sticky.
Hey Padilla are you stock height or are you lifted? Can 32s or 33s fit with trimming and no lift? Thanks a bunch. I need to get some new shoes for the taco and would like the biggest tires I can get on stock suspension. Thanks a bunch.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:57 PM   #20
MadeInMaine
MadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Owen
MadeInMaine's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MadeInMaine
perfect!~