1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need a little tire help/opinion

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Bullets, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Aug 6, 2009 at 8:08 AM
    Bullets

Bullets [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Athens, GA
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco 4x4 Double Cab SR5 Totally stock
    Bought Taco completely stock on 7/25/09. Making the adjustment from my previous truck a 04 Dodge Ram HEMI quad cab 4x4.
    I'm looking to replace my totally street tires that came with my taco when I purchased it 2 weeks ago. I'd like to get something sorta aggressive looking but not too over the top like a super swamper or anything near that.
    Because I'd like to keep the cost down I was thinking of trying to buy some "off brand" or copy cat type tires. So a tire made by someone else but looks like a BFG A/T. Everyone on the same page?

Things to keep in mind.
    -I drive about 2000-2500 miles a month with my job.

-I will be adding a 3" lift very soon

-I'm keeping my stock wheels but am thinking about getting Spidertrax wheel spacers to bump the wheels out and allow for larger tire.

Any pics you may have would be helpful.

2. Aug 6, 2009 at 8:20 AM
    IndigoTaco

IndigoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab Sport 4x4
    Like putting a 5 dollar saddle on a thousand dollar horse. Spend the money now and buy the BFG A/T, instead of blowing through 3 sets of inferior tires.

3. Aug 6, 2009 at 8:22 AM
    GeoTaco

GeoTaco the town is back that way

Member:
    First Name:
    Freeda Feltcher
    Denverish
    Vehicle:
    '21 Army Green TRD OR DCSB
    Car seats
    +1

4. Aug 6, 2009 at 6:55 PM
    Bullets

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Athens, GA
    Vehicle:
    Bought Taco completely stock on 7/25/09. Making the adjustment from my previous truck a 04 Dodge Ram HEMI quad cab 4x4.

I kinda of understand your point. But let me share mine. A long time ago I bought a set of Hankook (sp?) tires for my 4x4 Chevy truck. They looked just like BFG M/T's and ran for 50K miles. So at the time, Hankook was just a Korean or something made tire that no had heard of but looked just like a tire I like. The kicker was I only paid $450 for all 4 mounted and balanced and that truck ran 33's. The BFG at that time would have cost me hundreds more.

Many people now think Hankook tires are decent tires. Some still think their crap. Point is now you've heard of them. I wouldn't put them on the level of BFG but I also wouldn't call them a $5 saddle. This seems to be the case every time I buy an off brand tire. Many many years ago I had the same luck with Cooper tires when everyone I knew hadn't heard of them.

I don't want to sound like a wise guy here but, have you purchased several off brand sets of tires which only lasted 20-25K miles? Or did that happen to you once? Or has it never happened to you because you never tried putting a what appeared to be a $5 saddle on your horse?

5. Aug 6, 2009 at 7:00 PM
    johnecon2001

johnecon2001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab
    Downey front skid, Trail Gear U-Bolt flip, Toytec AAL, Total Chaos UCA's, Bilstein 5100's x4 + Eibach adjustable coils, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Custom Rear bumper, TRD OffRoad front tow hook, TRD Trail Team wheels, Federal Couragia M/T 265's, ARB rear locker + on board air (CKMA12), TRD shift knob, Alpine W205, TRD seat covers, Tom Woods 1 Piece drive shaft, Powermaster D2700, Stubbs HD-SKO Sliders.
    If you don't want to spend the coin on the BFG's, find yourself a set of General Grabber A/T's.
    Just about the same tread pattern, good life and ratings.

6. Aug 7, 2009 at 4:48 AM
    Bullets

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Athens, GA
    Vehicle:
    Hey thanks John!

I think my previous post may have lead people to believe I'm not considering buying the BFG's. In fact they are the top of my list. But I want to make sure I'm considering all my options.

The grabber doesn't look too bad and I read some reviews on it and it actually tested better the the Goodyear Wrangler!

Any other options I should consider??

7. Aug 7, 2009 at 11:16 AM
    johnecon2001

johnecon2001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab
    Downey front skid, Trail Gear U-Bolt flip, Toytec AAL, Total Chaos UCA's, Bilstein 5100's x4 + Eibach adjustable coils, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Custom Rear bumper, TRD OffRoad front tow hook, TRD Trail Team wheels, Federal Couragia M/T 265's, ARB rear locker + on board air (CKMA12), TRD shift knob, Alpine W205, TRD seat covers, Tom Woods 1 Piece drive shaft, Powermaster D2700, Stubbs HD-SKO Sliders.
    The Bridgestone Revo Gen 1 is still a viable option if you can still find them. TireRack had them on clearance awhile ago, dunno if they still have them.

8. Aug 8, 2009 at 4:01 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    I paid $120/tire for Nitto Terra Grapplers and love them, cheaper than BFG and IMO handle just as well. My bf has bridgestone duelers on one of his trucks and they have lasted awhile, but have been torn up a little from minor offroading.

9. Aug 8, 2009 at 4:44 AM
    Bullets

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Athens, GA
    Vehicle:
    Hey thanks Foxy! What size are your Nittos? I used to love the Nitto drag radials I had on my Mustang....great tire!

10. Aug 8, 2009 at 4:54 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    265/70/17...the 16's are about $5 more a tire.
    I have the P rated, which is actually rated higher than the stock BFG rugged trails ;) and higher than the Dunlops that were on mine.

11. Aug 8, 2009 at 1:08 PM
    Bullets

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Athens, GA
    Vehicle:
    Hey thanks! But that makes me wonder why the 16's would be a few dollars more?

Thanks for the help!!

12. Aug 8, 2009 at 1:24 PM
    imsikotic

imsikotic If u cant stand behind our troops. Stand in front

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Temecula, Ca
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DesertRunner
    4" Camburg Race Spindles and Icon 2.5" ext travel Coilovers in the front for about 5"of lift and for the rear All-Pro 3" leaf pack and Fox 2.0 Resi's converted to piggyback and custom valved by DownSouth Motorsports. 17x9" KMC XD Addicts w/ 4.5 inch Backspacing and -12 Offset. Wrangler Duratracs 285/70/17. K&N CAI, Exhaust, Carriage Works Billet Grill, Custom Bed bar with ProComp fog lights,DirtKing Fabrication front bumper w/ 3 HID converted Hellas, Demello rear PreRunner bumper, Tinted windows, Full System w/ 2 10s, Garmin 265WT, ClearHLM. Theres more I just cant think of it right now.
    I was running Hercules TerraTrac 285/70/17 A/Ts before I got my current set up. They were awesome! Look in my pics you can see them. They were on my stock wheels. I had about 40,000 miles on them when I sold them with about another 20K left. Great tire and I think they were pretty cheap too, I dont remember the cost. Good luck. Later.

Products Discussed in

To Top