Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

BFG TA KO or GoodYear Wranger Duratrac

View Poll Results: Which tire?
BFG TA KO 778 46.78%
Good Year Wrangler Duratrac 658 39.57%
Other:Specify 114 6.86%
By voting for this option I certify that I'm 100% douchebag blueberry surpise 198 11.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1663. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #541
68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future

Army: Medic / Hangover fixer
Name: Richie
68Whiskey's Tacoma Gallery
quick question here. I just got the BFG TA KOs not too long ago and they were set at whatever PSI sears set them to. Just recently Firestone set the PSI at 32/30 when I took it in for alignment based on door jamb info. I currently have them set at 38/36 and was curious as to what some of you guys have them set at that you are getting such good mileage out of them
Old 04-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #542
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Well I just read every post in this thread and still can't decide lol. I'm leaning toward the duratracs in the same size I'm running now (265/75/16) or go up to 285s. I'm lifting soon so 285s will work. I drive in snow/ice for over 6 months out of the year, that's why I like the duratracs so much. But I'm worried about the sidewalls blowing out...I really don't wheel places that have sharp rocks or anything, but I do haul a lot of crap when I fish/camp. I think I'll give duratracs a try unless someone can chime in and change my mind haha.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #543
Raceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Raceline08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffirg View Post
Well I just read every post in this thread and still can't decide lol. I'm leaning toward the duratracs in the same size I'm running now (265/75/16) or go up to 285s. I'm lifting soon so 285s will work. I drive in snow/ice for over 6 months out of the year, that's why I like the duratracs so much. But I'm worried about the sidewalls blowing out...I really don't wheel places that have sharp rocks or anything, but I do haul a lot of crap when I fish/camp. I think I'll give duratracs a try unless someone can chime in and change my mind haha.
Your in ice land, no where! I'd run a nastier tire also!

Thanks,

Brett
Old 04-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #544
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceline08 View Post
Your in ice land, no where! I'd run a nastier tire also!

Thanks,

Brett

haha thanks. I see tons of people up here with BFG ATs though. So it's obviously a popular tire, but I always see the tread on them just packed full of snow and ice and not clearing. My buddy just put a set on his 2012 outback haha, it looks freakin awesome and he was going through snow I couldn't get through with my truck
Old 04-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #545
Raceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Raceline08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Whiskey View Post
quick question here. I just got the BFG TA KOs not too long ago and they were set at whatever PSI sears set them to. Just recently Firestone set the PSI at 32/30 when I took it in for alignment based on door jamb info. I currently have them set at 38/36 and was curious as to what some of you guys have them set at that you are getting such good mileage out of them
Well 38/36 is high. I run 32/30 in my truck, I have run these for a couple of years now on my setup and their just fine. My tires are E rated .
Put done some chalk or water and drive over it if your contact patch is the width of the tire your fine.

Brett
Old 06-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #546
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
^I think I'm going to give the duratracs a try as well. One thing I heard is that you have to run a really high psi to keep them from feeling "squishy". I'm hearing numbers around 40psi. I guess, if I got this route, I'll have to figure that out myself...
Old 06-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #547
Seagrave will become famous soon enough

Seagrave's Tacoma Gallery
Having had both the BFG TA KO and the GY Duratrac on my truck and only having to choose between the two.... I would pick the BFG, heres why...

I had the BFG's for approx 18,000 miles before I sold the set of wheels they were on. Great tire. Not really any complaints aside from they are a heavy tire which results in decreased MPG's (265/70/17 E-rated)

I had the Duratrac's for approx 3,000 miles before I had enough of them. (265/75/16 D-rated) I really wanted to like them and keep them but I couldn't stand that my steering wheel had a shake/vibration. I had them rebalanced twice at Discount Tire without success. Apparently that is a common trait with them (steering while vibration)
The Discount salesman stated it was how they are manufactured. When looking at them on the tire balance machine, they didn't even turn smooth, they had a little wobble to them.

With that being said... I would go with the BFG unless GY has improved their tire making process. If they did, I would love to try the Duratrac's again.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #548
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
I just got some duratracs on Friday. They balanced out really well... the took almost no weight. Did well on the pavement and on the trail. They're still new, though. So far, I really like them, though.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #550

ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
I really wish they made the duratracs in a tall skinny. I don't know if I want to go to a 285 just yet :/
Old 06-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #551
curmudgeon
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Timmy
TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffirg View Post
I really wish they made the duratracs in a tall skinny. I don't know if I want to go to a 285 just yet :/
235/85r16. What I plan to do
Old 06-11-2013, 09:53 PM   #552

ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
That might be TOO skinny lol.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:04 PM   #553
curmudgeon
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Timmy
TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
No such thing!
Old 06-12-2013, 04:59 AM   #554
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
I wish the duratrac's came in more "in between sizes" 275/75/16, 275/70/17, 265/75/17... Nobody makes those sizes except for the 275/70
Old 07-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #555
Rusman161 will become famous soon enough
Rusman161's Tacoma Gallery
I have a set of 32" Duratracs, that I've put right at 42000 miles on. This is going to be kind of long so bear with me. Let me address a few of the questions I have seen on a couple of the pages I went through. This is my DD that's also my trail beater on those lucky weekends I get to go. I'd say 85% driving on pavement and daily commute is 30-35 miles round rip.

The tire pressure question:
They do not require higher pressure than normal tires, though they can run it if you really want to. I think tire says max is 55 or 65 psi, but I would never run them that high where I live. This is basically a commercial work tire that regular consumers have come to know and love. Just like any tire, the more pressure you put in it, the "harder" it will be. I run my at 30-32 on the street and the mid 20s on the trails.

The thin sidewall topic:
Anybody talking about a "thin sidewall" is helping spread negative & erroneous information and most likely has never owned a set of Duratracs. Yes there are thicker sidewalls and yes there are thinner. I have run Duratracs for the last 4 years in all conditions except snow. I have come down hard off of rocks, run over and brushed up against cacti out in Big Bend and not once have I had a sidewall. I have brushed up against and hit curbs without a single sidewall issue. This tire is truly tough as nails.

Balancing Act:
These tires new had no balancing issues whatsoever new. I religiously rotate my tires every 3-4K miles. As the miles started racking up I started noticing the weights accumulating too. At my current mileage, about 42k, 3 of my tires have at least 3 weights on them and one of them has 4. I'm guessing its getting harder to balance them or maybe just rookies at discount tire.

How's the Tread Wear?
I'm actually really impressed with the tread wear of these tires. When I bought them I was told they were a 50,000 mile tire and I didn't believe. At 42k and still easily 1/3 of my tread left I am still confident hitting the trail without getting stuck. I did hydroplane for the first time on these tires at about 40k miles, but it was a small and mainly my fault, I shouldn't have tried to take a turn going 20mph while it was raining. I haven't done it since and these tires love getting wet. Also I wanted to note that I have not had any chunking, just nice even wear.

How is the road noise?
This tire is surprisingly quiet, I really mean that. I don't have to run the radio and my wife doesn't even notice any road noise. I'm at 42k miles and I'm just now starting to hear a small whine, I partially blame the balance job on the tires. It's not even really noticeable unless you're looking for it. For the aggressive pattern and capabilities of this tire I'd seriously compare the noise to a regular street tire.

Wobbly or shaking steering wheel?
Not until I read the previous posts on this thread about people having a mild shake in their steering wheel did I realize I had one... at 65 mph. Anything before 65 and after 70 is smooth sailin'. With tires nearing the end of their life I cant possibly blame it on the manufacturing process or quality of this tire.

I've heard DuraTracs love collecting gravel.
This one I can't deny. Compared to the previous tires I've owned I can say the spacing between lugs does like to hang onto loose gravel. With that said though, and beg gap between lugs will pick up rocks. I normally don't notice it until I get going about 30 or 40 and all of a sudden it sounds like gunshots. I also notice it when I'm cruising with my windows down and hear the rocks making that all too familiar "clack clack" sound. A set of keys or a screwdriver usually sets them straight fairly quickly.

What's duratracs most often overlooked feature?
Duratracs come with a wheel protector built inside the tire! Its a really good design and keeps the rim tucked away and safe. 4 years and no rim damage. Look at them on someone's wheel next time you spot a pair and you will see what I'm talking about. look at the edge of the rim and the base of the tire, then look at another set of tires. It does a really good job protecting and don't quote me on this and I have no way to verify it, but I personally think it helps with running lower pressures in your tires.

Overview:
The DuraTrac is a beast of a tire that can take whatever beating you can throw at it and last a long time. It handles great in Dry, Wet, Muddy, Sandy, Rocky, Cactus-y, and any other condition I can't think of off the top of my head. I cannot speak for snow, but look it up on YouTube, its impressive. You will not waste your money buying a set, they will do nothing but impress you. I know its listed as an aggressive all terrain, but this tires daddy was definitely a mud terrain because it does REALLY well in the mud and that's not common amongst most ATs (don't crucify me for that comment).

If you have any other questions about them lemme know and I'll try to throw in my 2 cents.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:51 PM   #556
RansomFTW has a spectacular aura aboutRansomFTW has a spectacular aura aboutRansomFTW has a spectacular aura about

RansomFTW's Tacoma Gallery
I see more duratracs coming in with punctures than BFGs where I work but I haven't seen any blown out sidewalls yet(have gotten a slashed duratrac tho). And they are harder to balance but that happens with blocky tread and they're also a bit heavier than the BFGs. I still can't decide which tire I want though.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #557
jaymac10 is on a distinguished road

jaymac10's Tacoma Gallery
I'm going to go with the GY's

Enough research already! I'm at the point where there is no point anymore! Hahah

I'll chime in with my reviews after a bit. Next few weeks!
Old 07-30-2013, 02:31 PM   #558
lurx is on a distinguished road
lurx's Tacoma Gallery
I had a set of Duratracs put on my truck about a week ago. They're 265/70/17's OWL Load C.

I love the look of them but I too have a bit of steering wheel shake around 65mph. The tires are surprisingly quiet given the tread pattern - you can hear them in the cab with the radio off, but nothing annoying.

Overall very happy with them.
Attached Thumbnails
BFG TA KO or GoodYear Wranger Duratrac-photo.jpg  
Old 09-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #559
dakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dakota
dakotasyota's Tacoma Gallery
Hard to decide. The Bfgs will last forever, a hell of a lot longer than the duratracs, but the duratracs do better off road imo (plus they look freaking sweet!). They're a little louder than the Bfgs, but you gotta think about priorities I guess.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:08 PM   #560
Washington State University
SeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0352
Name: Mark
SeattleCoug's Tacoma Gallery
I've had both.

BFG have a LOOOOOONG tread life, however they SUCK in mud. Great for city/highway driving.

Duratracs (though I've only had them for 1k miles) are fairly quiet for being more aggressive (another +) and they do well in mud so far

Products Discussed in this Thread