Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

BFG TA KO or GoodYear Wranger Duratrac

View Poll Results: Which tire?
BFG TA KO 780 46.54%
Good Year Wrangler Duratrac 664 39.62%
Other:Specify 114 6.80%
By voting for this option I certify that I'm 100% douchebag blueberry surpise 203 12.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1676. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-30-2013, 09:39 PM   #561
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
^X2. Make my decision to buy those easier. I think I'll have them siped even more though for the winter. I noticed the siping doesn't really go very deep.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #562
Washington State University
SeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Mark
SeattleCoug's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffirg View Post
^X2. Make my decision to buy those easier. I think I'll have them siped even more though for the winter. I noticed the siping doesn't really go very deep.
The guy at Discount Tire had strong negative words to say about siping the Duratracs. I don't remember exactly why, but I do remember he talked me out of that when I mentioned it
Old 09-30-2013, 09:57 PM   #563
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting...May be due to the soft compound and the risk of chunking offroad. I'll read up on that and maybe hold off on siping until they're worn down a bit.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:59 PM   #564
Washington State University
SeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Mark
SeattleCoug's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Interesting...May be due to the soft compound and the risk of chunking offroad. I'll read up on that and maybe hold off on siping until they're worn down a bit.
Research is always best...
ask me how I know haha
Old 10-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #565
BassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Dan
BassMaster06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCoug View Post
The guy at Discount Tire had strong negative words to say about siping the Duratracs. I don't remember exactly why, but I do remember he talked me out of that when I mentioned it
Pretty sure they're already siped to begin with....
Old 10-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #566
New frame on order.
b0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shed

b0ules's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMaster06 View Post
Pretty sure they're already siped to begin with....
Sorta, but not in a big way.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic...m=675QR6WDTOWL

Compared to, say, a true winter tire:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic...rtnum=47R6DMV1
Old 10-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #567

ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Yes they are siped already but not very far into the tread. Looks like they would be gone after the tire wore down a little bit. I normally wouldn't care but I'll be using it mostly in the winter and siping helps a lot on ice.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #568
tacomitch
rmbyrum is on a distinguished road
Name: Mitch
rmbyrum's Tacoma Gallery
This may have been said a bunch already, but my vote is for Toyo Open Country A/T II's.

Main reason is if your Tacoma has the IFS, the outer studs/lugs on the BFGs will tend to twist due to the Toyota (or any) IFS. This causes the outside of the BFGs to wear a lot faster. Each outer stud on the Toyos is linked by a "tie bar" to the other studs next to it, keeping the wear consistent across the tire.

BFG's are a great tire and they've been around for 40-some years, but they haven't changed with truck technology. I've had great experience with them on a '96 Jeep Cherokee, but that had a solid Dana 30/44. BFGs just aren't the best option for trucks with IFS.

The BFGs were originally designed to drive on sand, and in my experience do fine in snow and mud. They are made with an oil-based rubber so the Toyos are allegedly better, but haven't experienced that first-hand yet. BFGs are good tires, I would just worry about the tire wear.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #569

ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmbyrum View Post
This may have been said a bunch already, but my vote is for Toyo Open Country A/T II's.

Main reason is if your Tacoma has the IFS, the outer studs/lugs on the BFGs will tend to twist due to the Toyota (or any) IFS. This causes the outside of the BFGs to wear a lot faster. Each outer stud on the Toyos is linked by a "tie bar" to the other studs next to it, keeping the wear consistent across the tire.

BFG's are a great tire and they've been around for 40-some years, but they haven't changed with truck technology. I've had great experience with them on a '96 Jeep Cherokee, but that had a solid Dana 30/44. BFGs just aren't the best option for trucks with IFS.

The BFGs were originally designed to drive on sand, and in my experience do fine in snow and mud. They are made with an oil-based rubber so the Toyos are allegedly better, but haven't experienced that first-hand yet. BFGs are good tires, I would just worry about the tire wear.
Aren't all tires petroleum based...?
Old 12-06-2013, 07:57 AM   #571
andrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: 2 Battalion 4th Marines
Name: ANDREW
andrew8404's Tacoma Gallery
My two cents so far are. I ran 265 BFGs for about a year with no problems then I went with a 285 Duratrac. Last week I went offroading in some mud and got stuck. Got pulled out and drove home noticing my pressure was low on the front tire. Woke up the next morning and it was flat. Took it in and I somehow punctured the sidewall. Luckily, I got America's Tires Warranty so free tire for me! Not sure if that helps ease people's fear with the sidewall issue but it can happen to any tire! Looking forward to trying the duratracs out in the snow though!
Old 12-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #572
Bellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
Bellis's Tacoma Gallery
both tires are awesome been around both quite a bit, the duratrac's are a louder tire but I think the duratrac's have a little more traction not much tho
Old 12-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #573
Good351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to beholdGood351 is a splendid one to behold

Good351's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Aren't all tires petroleum based...?
I think some are silica based..? http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light...ERER-A-T3.aspx

I am getting new tires today..replacing the BFG AT KO on there now. I got 75,000 miles out of those BFG's. And they were the 6th set I've had (3 work truck, 3 personal truck). Never had any problems with them and they always took me where I wanted, when I wanted.

That being said, I wanted a change. so on my last work truck I went for a set of Duratracs. The Duratracs looked a performed great...for the whole 2 months I had them..got a new work truck. So I didn't get a chance to really put the Duratracs through the paces and see how long they would last.

Products Discussed in this Thread