Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Painting Stock Rims Easy

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-07-2009, 10:58 PM   #1
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
Painting Stock Rims Easy

Wash rims well, both inside and out, rinse with clean water, dry with towel
Old 09-07-2009, 10:59 PM   #2
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery

remove outside weights, mark location with piece of tape, write weight amount on tape if doing more than one at a time
Old 09-07-2009, 11:01 PM   #4
Make mine a Double!

Navy:
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery

notice tape for weights

using scotch brite, scuff sand entire rim, inside and out, pay more attention to the outside. make sure you have a dull surface all around. then lightly do the inside of rim.

after sanding i used rubbing alcohol and wiped rims inside and out clean, let dry for about 10 mins.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:05 PM   #5
Make mine a Double!

Navy:
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery

yes - i am not using any primer. Scuffing the original factory paint ( its not coming off )
is a better acting primer than anything else i could spray on.

spray the inside of the rim first ( no picture ), one good coat.

then flip rim/tire over. insert playing cards / index cards.

start by painting through the holes to get into the inside of rim.
then paint the outside of rim working from the outside edge in,
yes i walked around the tire as i went along,
nice easy thin wet coat, you dont want drips.
allow to dry for about 5 mins, apply 2nd easy coat.

i used a semi-gloss black, rustolium spray paint can. one can did two rims.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:06 PM   #6
Go with the flow
Hologram is a jewel in the roughHologram is a jewel in the roughHologram is a jewel in the roughHologram is a jewel in the rough

Army:
Hologram's Tacoma Gallery
i kept my wheels on and just spray painted them. figure the paint will eventually chip so i can always just spray over. but good write up though
Old 09-07-2009, 11:07 PM   #7
Make mine a Double!

Navy:
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery

allow to dry. I waited about a hour before putting back on truck
Old 09-07-2009, 11:09 PM   #8
Make mine a Double!

Navy:
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery

just before putting back on truck, reattach the weights
Old 09-07-2009, 11:11 PM   #9
Make mine a Double!

Navy:
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery

finished product

i let truck sit over night before driving it. just washed it today and all is still in tack.

With new tires and matching painted center caps!
Old 09-07-2009, 11:15 PM   #10
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Nice!!!!
Old 09-07-2009, 11:34 PM   #12
UG legend wannabe
snowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
snowgod06's Tacoma Gallery
nice write up, not trying to give ya a hard time but there is a write-up on this already that i looked at a few weeks ago, same methods and everything.
still tho, good detail and write-up
Old 09-08-2009, 12:49 AM   #16
Make mine a Double!

Navy:
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
2009 stock sr5 steel 16 inch rims
Old 09-08-2009, 12:55 AM   #18
Make mine a Double!

Navy:
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
original 2009 stock sr5 16 inch steel rims

i have seen other threads , did use the card trick, but they seem over complicated and unesassary. all i used was some scotch brite and a couple cans of spray paint.
as long a you scuff the original paint enough, it better than primer.