LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

What psi should i run?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 02:55 PM   #41
Banned
kilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to behold
kilgoja's Tacoma Gallery
anywhere from 32-34 all the way around
Old 02-15-2010, 10:06 AM   #42
Moose
MooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: USS John Paul Jones; Gas Turbine Technician Electrical 2nd Class (SW)
MooseTX82's Tacoma Gallery
What a great thread. I was wondering what I should run for my BFG 285/75 17s. I guess Ill do that test when I get home.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:28 PM   #43
RedTaco2134 will become famous soon enoughRedTaco2134 will become famous soon enough

Army: E-1
Name: Scott
RedTaco2134's Tacoma Gallery
I run 32psi. 275/70/17. Recommended pressure for 33's or 35's 28psi-32psi. Reduces tread cupping and abnormal wear.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:46 AM   #44
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by TioTaco View Post
Your truck has tire pressure sensors, look in your door jam and it will tell you what pressure. Try to stay within around plus or minus 5 psi to that and what ever you choose, make all the same PSI.
You can reset the TPMS to monitor any pressure you'd like (except 0 I think). There is a button under the steering column- Set all the pressures the same, push the button and VIOLA!! TPMS monitors for the new pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Bugs Life View Post
Look on the door panel.. All vehicles Recommended PSI is on the inside of your driver door. Yet if you have oversized tires you may want to inflate a bit more. Chalk mark across the tread to monitor wear.
I've said it before- I'll say it again. That pressure ONLY applies to the Make and Model of tire SOLD STOCK on the truck. If you swap to another brand, style, or size of tire aftermarket- You NEED to do the chalk test.

CHALK TEST (as discussed on Page 1 of this thread):
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post

Optimizing Tire Pressure

Proper inflation puts the most rubber on the road

Jimmy Nylund / autoMedia.com

About the only positive result from the current Ford/Firestone situation is that more people are now aware that proper tire inflation pressures can be crucial. Luckily, running the correct pressure is relatively easy—but how do you know what it is? That depends on a number of factors, including vehicle weight, tire specs, air temperature and even personal preference. Newer vehicles have the manufacturer's recommended pressures on a decal in the door jam or glovebox, but those numbers are for a stock vehicle with a full load.

Air Apparent Running the correct pressure is relatively easy—but how do you know what it is?
Tires lose pressure over time, so checking the inflation at least every couple of weeks is important. While you have your tire gauge out, you might as well set them at a correct pressure for your vehicle/tire/load combination.

One simple method for finding the right pressure for your vehicle is to draw a chalk line across the tread, then drive a bit and check the line. Even wear is good, while the line fading in the center indicates over-inflation. Worst is when the chalk mark wears off at the outer edges (shoulders) first, meaning that the pressure is too low. Under-inflation lessens the tire's load capacity, can make for squirrelly handling and, most importantly, makes the tire run hotter. Hot tires tend to disintegrate, regardless of who made them. Consequently, it's better to err on the high side, even if ride quality may suffer and the tire wear pattern could be less than optimal. However, do not exceed the maximum pressure as stated on the sidewall—there can indeed be too much of a good thing.

Once the lines wear off evenly, note those pressures for future reference. While the inflation must be identical for both ends of an axle, the front tires will often require a slightly higher pressure since they usually carry more of the weight of an unladen vehicle (most engines are up front).

Gauging Pressure
It doesn't really matter how accurate your tire gauge is as long as it's consistent and you use that same one every time. Also important for repeatability is to measure the tires either cold or warm, then stick with that measurement method since tire pressure vary quite a bit with temperature. Last, but not the least, if adding load to the vehicle, don't forget to add to the tire pressures accordingly.

You'll need a piece of chalk, a tire gauge, a pen and a note pad. Make a chalk mark across the tread as pictured, on one front and one rear tire, and then drive a quarter mile or so in a straight line. Stop and study the chalk marks and note the pressure readings on the gauge.
This tire shows over-inflation, having relatively intact marks at the shoulders while the center of the line is more worn. Ideally, the chalk would have faded evenly across the tread surface. Let out some air and try again.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:14 PM   #45
RedTaco2134 will become famous soon enoughRedTaco2134 will become famous soon enough

Army: E-1
Name: Scott
RedTaco2134's Tacoma Gallery
Just my $.02 you could easily go to a tire shop and buy a tread depth gauge, much easier and a lot more simple.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:38 PM   #46
shawnresa is on a distinguished road
Name: shawn
shawnresa's Tacoma Gallery
how does your truck ride if u dont mind me asking
Old 04-18-2010, 08:50 AM   #47
blazze2005 has much to be proud ofblazze2005 has much to be proud ofblazze2005 has much to be proud ofblazze2005 has much to be proud ofblazze2005 has much to be proud ofblazze2005 has much to be proud ofblazze2005 has much to be proud ofblazze2005 has much to be proud ofblazze2005 has much to be proud of

blazze2005's Tacoma Gallery
My 05 Tacoma Pre-Runner list 29psi all the way around

With my new 18 Falken Ziex Tires the max pressure says 40psi

I did the chalk test and I'm running 32 psi front tires

and Running 30 psi rear tires

I feel my new 18 x 9 wheels with the 265-60-18 tires ride better then my stock 17" sport alloys and Dueller HT tires
Old 05-31-2010, 05:51 AM   #48
strongwxnc is on a distinguished road

strongwxnc's Tacoma Gallery
I run General Grabber AT2 265/70 16. I just got my brakes changed at a local tire shop. I was running 36 all the way around. Dude noted that I might want to try 35F and 34R. I let them try that after they were done.
After about 100miles at that PSI I can tell a big difference. My truck handles better now and seems to ride smoother. Not to concern with Ride confront more than making sure I get the most life out of the new set I got.
BTW, this tires are great...
Old 05-31-2010, 04:07 PM   #49
crazyasu45 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
crazyasu45's Tacoma Gallery
A mech told me to run at least 40 psi all the way around if I wanted my M/T to last because of the softer rubber compound
Old 05-31-2010, 04:47 PM   #50
strongwxnc is on a distinguished road

strongwxnc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyasu45 View Post
A mech told me to run at least 40 psi all the way around if I wanted my M/T to last because of the softer rubber compound
I dunno man. Some many different psi I have read about here and other places. Going to try the 34/35 for a tank to see what happens...
Old 09-23-2010, 01:32 PM   #53
LIVE TO FLY
Kdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shedKdawwwg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ken
Kdawwwg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
Nice ride, but I found it murdered my MPG when I did it. I put mine back up to 45psi.
I don't mind the harsher ride. And it's only going to get worse when I get my Duratracs in 285x75x16. They only come in E load.
Super over kill, but I want those tires and IW ant 285. Should ride slightly rougher than the Flintstones' car.

i have duratracks in a 285/70/17 in load range D little smaller then the 75 , but still look huge on a 3in lift, an rub with alot of trimin done.
i run them at @30 psi great wear ,best tire out there [imho]
Old 09-23-2010, 02:27 PM   #54
Northern Alliance: Airlift Div
Coreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud of

Air Force: Flight Engineer
Coreyjon's Tacoma Gallery
Running 38 psi all around but will admit to not doing the chalk test (never find chalk when I need it). 265/70R15 Nokian WRg2's, softer tire, had them installed today first thing I did was stop off at the nearest gas station and checked the tire pressure, they were set at 35 psi and it felt like I was driving with the traction of a gecko - probably could have climbed a glass wall - set them to 38 and its more responsive, may go to 40, and may actually do that chalk test as it does seam like the best way to do it (although the feel is important, not harshness, but responsiveness).
Old 10-07-2010, 06:00 PM   #55
glk21c is on a distinguished road

glk21c's Tacoma Gallery
running 45-46 psi all the way around on my 265/65/17 Yokohama Geolanders HT/S G-051's. About 90,000 miles on them now, will be changing them at about 100,000. Rotated every 6000 miles, all highway. No uneven wear patterns at all, highway MPG has always been a consistant 21-22.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:08 PM   #56
TACBOY is on a distinguished road
TACBOY's Tacoma Gallery
does anybody know how to shut off the tire pressure warning light on the dash,i live hear in germany and the weather took it's toll on the valve stems and froze the caps on and when i got the cooper discoverer atr's on they broke as they were taking them off the rim now the only sensor i have is the one in the spare, i let out some air but the light is still on any suggestions
Old 01-28-2011, 06:37 PM   #57
Banned
bowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to behold
bowhunter11199's Tacoma Gallery
Any suggestions on psi for BFG mudders( 33x12.5)?
Old 03-19-2011, 08:23 PM   #58
GeoTaco1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Geo
GeoTaco1's Tacoma Gallery
Toyos Open Country

I have not yet done the chaulk test but I have tested it using 29 F 27 R,
31F 29R, Did not notice much difference.

I wonder why does Toyota recommend 32R and 29F? the weight is highe rin the front???
Old 03-24-2011, 11:40 AM   #59
dan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
dan0's Tacoma Gallery
what psi do you recommend for nitrogen filled tires?
Old 09-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #60
Mi Vida Taco will become famous soon enoughMi Vida Taco will become famous soon enough

Army: Infantry
Mi Vida Taco's Tacoma Gallery
So i am a little confused here, I have the duratracs in 265-70r17 and the side of it said a max of 80 psi. I have always been under the impression that about 5 psi under max is good. But all i see on here is people running 20-40 psi! it seems like when i had a flat i was about 30 psi and it showed, so are yall referring to what yall air down to off road? or do yall always ride with those psi's? have i been wrong all this time?