Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

What psi should i run?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-28-2011, 09:34 PM   #61
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi Vida Taco View Post
So i am a little confused here, I have the duratracs in 265-70r17 and the side of it said a max of 80 psi. I have always been under the impression that about 5 psi under max is good. But all i see on here is people running 20-40 psi! it seems like when i had a flat i was about 30 psi and it showed, so are yall referring to what yall air down to off road? or do yall always ride with those psi's? have i been wrong all this time?
You're running your tires at 75 PSI ?
Old 09-29-2011, 06:54 AM   #62
Mi Vida Taco will become famous soon enoughMi Vida Taco will become famous soon enough

Army: Infantry
Mi Vida Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
You're running your tires at 75 PSI ?

Yes i have, i air down when i go offroading, usually to around 45-50. im still a little new to offroading. But i havnt had any issues, my mileage is fine, only lost about 1 mpg when i went with the 265 duratracs. i had a slow leak due to a nail and it got down to about 30 psi or so and it was definatly flat, like im pretty sure there is no way that would be safe for driving. so is it really 28-40 psi everyone is running constantly?
Old 09-29-2011, 07:08 AM   #63
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes i have, i air down when i go offroading, usually to around 45-50. im still a little new to offroading. But i havnt had any issues, my mileage is fine, only lost about 1 mpg when i went with the 265 duratracs. i had a slow leak due to a nail and it got down to about 30 psi or so and it was definatly flat, like im pretty sure there is no way that would be safe for driving. so is it really 28-40 psi everyone is running constantly?
I run my E-rated Hankook MT's at 38 psi , they also have a max inflation of 80 psi .

No issues with tire wear .
Old 09-29-2011, 03:13 PM   #64
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Wow! @ 75 psi your ride must be extremely harsh. I have the Duratracs in load D and I run 32 psi up front and 29 in the back all day every day.

If I want to air down for off roading then I'll go to down to 20 or 18 psi.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:24 PM   #65
Mi Vida Taco will become famous soon enoughMi Vida Taco will become famous soon enough

I havnt noticed the ride being harsh what so ever. And like i Said due to a leak my tires have gotten that low and seemed to flat to drive around on. I will have to take another look at it all. Im deployed right now and in the process of deciding on new tires. It looks like im going to keep with the duratracs although i wasn to impressed with how they lost a lot of pretty huge chunks. but in this texas heat and that soft of a tire its to be expected. Overall the tire did outstanding! the only other options i was considering was the hankook dynapro m/t or the bfg km2. its been tough to decide on which to get, they all have pros and cons. i will also be doing the chalk test as well. thanks for the help and at least i wont have the pain in the ass issues with finding decent gas station air machines that work well enough to get me up to 75 psi! i would usually have to go to several stations after an offroading trip to find one that worked.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:24 AM   #66
dan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
dan0's Tacoma Gallery
32-35psi max
Old 10-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #67
Unprofessional Driver
CUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CUtacomaTIGER's Tacoma Gallery
on my 01 with nitto 265/70R16 i run around 27-28 psi. The pressure got up to 35 psi before b/c I didn't check it in a while and the ride felt extremely stiff (more so than usual). The fact that there 6 ply tires doesn't help the comfort either. FYI inside of my door says 26 all around
Old 10-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #68
Phlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Phlip4x4Sport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It looks like im going to keep with the duratracs although i wasn to impressed with how they lost a lot of pretty huge chunks.
This is one of the symptoms of overinflation... Your tire at 75 PSI has no give to it. Instead of re-shaping itself around a small hard object you are chiseling into the tire and losing chunks.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #69
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So i am a little confused here, I have the duratracs in 265-70r17 and the side of it said a max of 80 psi. I have always been under the impression that about 5 psi under max is good. But all i see on here is people running 20-40 psi! it seems like when i had a flat i was about 30 psi and it showed, so are yall referring to what yall air down to off road? or do yall always ride with those psi's? have i been wrong all this time?
The maximum psi shown on the side of your tire is just that...the maximum. The only time you might need to go up close to that psi would be if you were driving alot bigger truck and carrying an extremely heavy load. For normal driving/best tire wear you should be down somewhere around 32-36psi. Look again at the side of the tire... it will more than likely show a maximum load associated with the maximum psi. Being our trucks are light (especially without a load in the bed) doing the chalk test will show the center of your tire is what's mainly contacting the road at 75 psi.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:58 PM   #70

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I havnt noticed the ride being harsh what so ever. And like i Said due to a leak my tires have gotten that low and seemed to flat to drive around on. I will have to take another look at it all. Im deployed right now and in the process of deciding on new tires. It looks like im going to keep with the duratracs although i wasn to impressed with how they lost a lot of pretty huge chunks. but in this texas heat and that soft of a tire its to be expected. Overall the tire did outstanding! the only other options i was considering was the hankook dynapro m/t or the bfg km2. its been tough to decide on which to get, they all have pros and cons. i will also be doing the chalk test as well. thanks for the help and at least i wont have the pain in the ass issues with finding decent gas station air machines that work well enough to get me up to 75 psi! i would usually have to go to several stations after an offroading trip to find one that worked.
75 PSI is way too much my friend .

You have tires on your truck rated to carry a much heavier vehicle and if that vehicle was unloaded it still wouldn't inflate to anywhere near 75 PSI .

You would only consider filling the tires to max PSI , or roughly 90 % of max PSI in your case , with a much heavier vehicle that was loaded to it's max payload , and even then you would reduce pressure after losing the load .

Edit : what OffroadToy said above , lol
Old 10-12-2011, 04:18 PM   #71
Unprofessional Driver
CUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CUtacomaTIGER's Tacoma Gallery
yep the higher the load index # on your tire likely the higher max psi. my tires are somewhere between a 114 and 120 if i remember correctly and as such are also 6 ply to give better strength and so higher max psi to carry heaviest loads. but rarely would you ever use max pressure

check this link to wiki on tire code
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code

when in doubt wiki it
Old 10-25-2011, 05:27 PM   #72
85okhai is one of the sharper tools in the shed85okhai is one of the sharper tools in the shed85okhai is one of the sharper tools in the shed85okhai is one of the sharper tools in the shed85okhai is one of the sharper tools in the shed85okhai is one of the sharper tools in the shed85okhai is one of the sharper tools in the shed85okhai is one of the sharper tools in the shed85okhai is one of the sharper tools in the shed85okhai is one of the sharper tools in the shed85okhai is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
85okhai's Tacoma Gallery
just got some toyo proxes st 265/50/20 max psi is 50. had they tire pressure light turn on so i took it back to the tire shop that put my tires on. they dropped the psi to the stock tire psi which is 29 to try and see if the light would turn off, tire pressure light didnt turn off so what should i do? am taking the truck to the dealership to get an oil change so should i just get them to reset it? also what psi would you guys recommend me run?
Old 10-25-2011, 05:34 PM   #73
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85okhai View Post
just got some toyo proxes st 265/50/20 max psi is 50. had they tire pressure light turn on so i took it back to the tire shop that put my tires on. they dropped the psi to the stock tire psi which is 29 to try and see if the light would turn off, tire pressure light didnt turn off so what should i do? am taking the truck to the dealership to get an oil change so should i just get them to reset it? also what psi would you guys recommend me run?
Too high of pressure doesn't set the light off. Low pressure will set the light off. Do a chalk test to see what pressure works for you then reset the system with the button under the steering column following the owner's manual. If it doesn't work check the shop may have damaged a sensor. Also check the spare tire pressure just in case.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #74
Climber is on a distinguished road
Climber's Tacoma Gallery
I agree, that's WAY too high. I run Load range C Revos (no longer made) that are the same weight as the LR Es, so I suspect pretty much the same tire. 36 lbs is plenty in a truck this light and they run nice and cool. I let them down to about 30 on rough roads and then just keep speed down when I'm back on the highway until I have a chance to air them back up. Any higher than 35-36 and you are just hammering your suspension, frame, and body attachment points for no reason, not to mention increasing your chance of an offroad tire puncture from a sharp rock. Remember, LT tires in typical sizes for a Tacoma can carry more than twice the weight of a Taco that's loaded to its max permissible gross weight.

If you have LT tires, you do need to run a little higher pressures than the stock 30 lbs on the highway. With so much more material in the tire, they will run too hot otherwise, not to mention the rolling resistance sucks.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:28 AM   #75
lilred is on a distinguished road
Name: Lon
lilred's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post

Optimizing Tire Pressure

Proper inflation puts the most rubber on the road

Jimmy Nylund / autoMedia.com

About the only positive result from the current Ford/Firestone situation is that more people are now aware that proper tire inflation pressures can be crucial. Luckily, running the correct pressure is relatively easy—but how do you know what it is? That depends on a number of factors, including vehicle weight, tire specs, air temperature and even personal preference. Newer vehicles have the manufacturer's recommended pressures on a decal in the door jam or glovebox, but those numbers are for a stock vehicle with a full load.

Air Apparent Running the correct pressure is relatively easy—but how do you know what it is?
Tires lose pressure over time, so checking the inflation at least every couple of weeks is important. While you have your tire gauge out, you might as well set them at a correct pressure for your vehicle/tire/load combination.

One simple method for finding the right pressure for your vehicle is to draw a chalk line across the tread, then drive a bit and check the line. Even wear is good, while the line fading in the center indicates over-inflation. Worst is when the chalk mark wears off at the outer edges (shoulders) first, meaning that the pressure is too low. Under-inflation lessens the tire's load capacity, can make for squirrelly handling and, most importantly, makes the tire run hotter. Hot tires tend to disintegrate, regardless of who made them. Consequently, it's better to err on the high side, even if ride quality may suffer and the tire wear pattern could be less than optimal. However, do not exceed the maximum pressure as stated on the sidewall—there can indeed be too much of a good thing.

Once the lines wear off evenly, note those pressures for future reference. While the inflation must be identical for both ends of an axle, the front tires will often require a slightly higher pressure since they usually carry more of the weight of an unladen vehicle (most engines are up front).

Gauging Pressure
It doesn't really matter how accurate your tire gauge is as long as it's consistent and you use that same one every time. Also important for repeatability is to measure the tires either cold or warm, then stick with that measurement method since tire pressure vary quite a bit with temperature. Last, but not the least, if adding load to the vehicle, don't forget to add to the tire pressures accordingly.

You'll need a piece of chalk, a tire gauge, a pen and a note pad. Make a chalk mark across the tread as pictured, on one front and one rear tire, and then drive a quarter mile or so in a straight line. Stop and study the chalk marks and note the pressure readings on the gauge.
This tire shows over-inflation, having relatively intact marks at the shoulders while the center of the line is more worn. Ideally, the chalk would have faded evenly across the tread surface. Let out some air and try again.

Great advice
Old 01-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #76

it was just due to inexperience on my part, im still fairly new to off roading and all. I do appreciate all the feedback, and positive feedback as well, its still one of the biggest reasons i love owning my taco, all the awesome people on this site! i was merely taking advice (bad) from over 10 years ago, and that was when i was just driving a normal car and all on the streets. but live and learn, just wish it didnt take so long on the learning process!
Old 01-10-2012, 05:38 AM   #77
UH60Hwkdrvr is a jewel in the roughUH60Hwkdrvr is a jewel in the roughUH60Hwkdrvr is a jewel in the roughUH60Hwkdrvr is a jewel in the rough

Army: Helicopter Pilot
UH60Hwkdrvr's Tacoma Gallery
I emailed BF Goodrich and here is what they advised:

2011 Taco 4x4 DC w/BFG TA/KO 265/75R16

45 PSI front
48 PSI rear

I took their advice and set the pressures accordingly. The vehicle rides fine.

m.a.c.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #79
Get busy living, or get busy dying.
teamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really nice

Royal Canadian Air Force: Top Secret
teamfast's Tacoma Gallery
Excerpt from: http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...y/viewall.html

Bigger Tires, New Pressure
Once you install oversized tires, the OE-recommended pressures on the tire placard, or in the manual, are no longer valid because the internal volume of the tire has changed. Here's how you can translate those OE tire pressures to a new tire and give yourself a starting point. Increased volume usually requires less pressure to carry the same weight in the same class of tire because it isn't air pressure holding the tire up, it's air volume.
First, you need to find the Tire and Rim Association load inflation table (LIT) for the size and type of tire you are switching from, and to. If you Google "Load Inflation Tables," you will find many sources of such info. The tire manufacturers will also supply this information directly, and tire shops often have it.
Step 1: Look at the tire placard on your vehicle (or owner's manual) and write down the pressures listed for the stock tires. In our case, they were 50 psi front, 60 psi rear for LT245/70-17 tires, which will be our example. Those are the pressures listed for the truck to carry a rated capacity load, but yours lists both loaded and unloaded specs; either will translate.
Step 2: Look up the old tire on the load inflation table and note the weight each tire is rated to carry at the psi rating you want to translate, in our case 50 and 60 psi.
Step 3: The LIT is broken up into 5psi increments, and your recommended pressure may fall between. Yes, it matters. If that happens, you will want to determine how many pounds of weight that 1 psi will carry. Let's say your pressure is 47 psi and you are going to do the same tire swap we are. The weight rating at 45 psi is 2,010 pounds, and at 50 psi it's 2,205 pounds. Use the following formula:
2205-2010 lb.= 195 lb. = 39 lb. per psi50 psi-45 psi 5 psi
Subtract 45 from 47 and you have 2 psi. Multiply 39 x 2 = 78. Add 78 pounds (2 psi worth of weight) to the 45psi load rating and you get 2,088 (2,010 + 78 = 2,088). That's the load the tire can take at 47 psi.
Step 4: Look up the new tire on the LIT. Find the pressure needed to hold up the same weight at the rated placard pressure. Our new LT285/70-17 tires can carry 2,105 pounds at 35 psi, so using the formula in Step 3, we know that to support 2,205 pounds, we need 38 psi. In back, our 60 psi load rating dropped to 44 psi with the larger tires.

Using the attached Load Inflation table I calculated that I should run 40 PSI with my 275 70 17s. I have been running 31.

Try it and see what psi you get.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf loadinflationtable.pdf (363.9 KB, 287 views)