Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

What psi should i run?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #121
White Ball is on a distinguished road
White Ball's Tacoma Gallery
Adding to above:
If your tires and rim width are not matched up correctly, neither the calk method nor the math method will likely give you correct PSI readings.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:53 PM   #122
jca1386 is on a distinguished road
Name: Joe
jca1386's Tacoma Gallery
What Im gathering here from reading all the info (which is absolutely effing awesome) is that if I have a stock 14 DBL Cab with the BFG's that toyota installs should be 29/32 according to the door. I checked mine today with 600 miles on the truck and i was at about 40 all around on a relatively cold tire. Do you guys recommend going to the 29/32 pressures, driving around and adjusting from there? I do about 50/50 between highway and city...

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-14-2014, 04:50 AM   #123
toendanger is just really nicetoendanger is just really nicetoendanger is just really nicetoendanger is just really nicetoendanger is just really nice
Name: Harlan
toendanger's Tacoma Gallery
40 is way too high. Especially if it was cold, with heat from the friction and from daytime your pressures gonna be even higher than that. Take em down right away. From what I hear (I forget why) but dealers tend to keep their tires up a bit higher than normal for the cars on the lot. But if they installed newer tires since you bought the truck, kinda odd they would put them that high. Max pressure is probably 35 on those! I just fail to understand why people do this at tire shops and have no clue about proper tire pressures. Or fail to read the Damn tire to see what max is and make a judgement off that alone on pressure. Really surprised Toyota put them at 40! Wtf! That's why I ALWAYS check my tire pressure if I have any shop service my tires. And if it's ridiculously high I make it a point to go back in and explain what happened.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:47 AM   #124
Don't taze me bro!
Ostrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jer
Ostrichsak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toendanger View Post
40 is way too high. Especially if it was cold, with heat from the friction and from daytime your pressures gonna be even higher than that. Take em down right away. From what I hear (I forget why) but dealers tend to keep their tires up a bit higher than normal for the cars on the lot. But if they installed newer tires since you bought the truck, kinda odd they would put them that high. Max pressure is probably 35 on those! I just fail to understand why people do this at tire shops and have no clue about proper tire pressures. Or fail to read the Damn tire to see what max is and make a judgement off that alone on pressure. Really surprised Toyota put them at 40! Wtf! That's why I ALWAYS check my tire pressure if I have any shop service my tires. And if it's ridiculously high I make it a point to go back in and explain what happened.
Funny that your bring up the subject of tire pressure and dealerships....

Just last week the low tire pressure sensor in our Optima (in my sig pic below) came on. I keep a good eye on tire pressure in all of my vehicles (probably the most important factor to MPG and safety that 99% of drivers don't bother ever checking) so I know that they're all within 1-2psi of target pressure & each other unless there's an issue. The wife (also in the sig pic below) told me the light was on so I checked all the tires immediately and, as expected, 34.5-35psi all the way around. Evened them all to exactly 35psi resting temp at a moderate ambient air temp and then went to the spare. It was 52psi when the tire calls for 60psi so I was confident this was the problem and put the extra 8psi in it. The next day my wife drove to work and the light still hadn't gone off so she called the dealership to schedule a service appointment for a potentially bad sensor. The service manager (yes, manager) told her that tire pressure can vary greatly and she should just put 39psi in all of her tires and she'll be fine. 39psi. Mind you we live in Colorado and the day she called the high temp was an unseasonably cold 55 degrees. This means that if she fills them to 39 psi cold during a 55deg day her likelihood of a blowout at highway speeds when it's nearly 100deg increases dramatically. This is very dangerous advice they're volunteering to customers who call to schedule appointments to check a TPMS. I can't believe this is what the service manager of all people is telling people who call. Fortunately I know better but most who call would not. That very day the light reset itself when she left for lunch so fortunately we weren't forced to take the car into that dealership. Just a little side story to showcase how trustworthy a dealership should be when it comes to matters such as tire pressure.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:34 PM   #125
Tdkrum5 is on a distinguished road
Navy:
Name: Ted
Tdkrum5's Tacoma Gallery
After reading this thread i went out and checked the tires of my new 14 DCSB TRD OR. Tires were cold. You were right they were all set at 40 psi. Sticker says front 29, Rear 32. I set the front at 32 rear at 34. We will see how they ride and wear. What do you all air down to while out wheeling?
Old 10-08-2014, 07:59 PM   #126
2012txpro is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
2012txpro's Tacoma Gallery
Just got a recall on my 2012 txPro that is changing the air pressure in my tires from 29/32 to 42 all the way around!! Sent me a new door sticker and everything. What do you guys think of this?
Old 12-05-2014, 06:04 AM   #127
Alright then
BCephus is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCephus is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCephus is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCephus is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCephus is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCephus is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCephus is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCephus is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCephus is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCephus is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCephus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Slingblade
BCephus's Tacoma Gallery
I prefer the duct tape method. Clean the tires and tape a strip of duct tape all the way across the tread down to the wheel (but not on it). You can get a better composite by driving a really long ways compared to chalk, plus you can reach highway speeds where the tire changes shape due to centripetal force. I ended up at 38 front and 30 or so rear when not towing. My wheels are 7.5s and on the narrow side for 33s.
Not responsible for goo left by gorilla tape on a hot day.

BFG publishes the recommended wheel width for a given size tire. The narrow end of the wheel width spectrum tends to wear in the middle more vs wider wheel at the same pressure, BUT your wheels are a little better protected by the bigger sidewall bulge.