* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-10-2009, 11:37 AM   #1
( . Y . ) = :)
TacoTRD420 will become famous soon enough

Name: Jake
TacoTRD420's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TacoTRD420
What psi should i run?

I have some 285/60/18 Nitto terra grapplers, i wanted to know what tire pressure yall would run in them. i got around 35psi in them at the time. thanks.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:39 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Im running the same tires on my truck, and have found a 34 psi front, and 32 psi back gives the best wear.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:49 AM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
When you get in jake swing by the house again and i'll show you the technique I use. I'm pretty sure chris used it to get his numbers. Chalk method.
Bingo!
Old 09-10-2009, 02:07 PM   #5
( . Y . ) = :)
TacoTRD420 will become famous soon enough

Name: Jake
TacoTRD420's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TacoTRD420
k luke...
Old 09-10-2009, 02:27 PM   #6
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I run 34 all around cause chris said but I might lower the back to 32psi if chris found a better way to run them?!?!
Old 09-10-2009, 02:31 PM   #7
rob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
rob1's Tacoma Gallery
Chris has got all the answers....another reason I wish he where my neighbor!! How about it Chris, free beer of your choice for a year!!!
Old 09-10-2009, 02:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
I run 34 all around cause chris said but I might lower the back to 32psi if chris found a better way to run them?!?!
I told ya to run that psi, 'cause I know you arnt gonna use the chalk method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1 View Post
Chris has got all the answers....another reason I wish he where my neighbor!! How about it Chris, free beer of your choice for a year!!!
VERY tempting......How close to the water are ya?
Old 09-10-2009, 02:50 PM   #9
rob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rob1's Tacoma Gallery
South Padre Island....45 min away
Old 09-10-2009, 02:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1 View Post
South Padre Island....45 min away
Hmm.......
Old 09-10-2009, 02:52 PM   #11

rob1's Tacoma Gallery
...laters man
Old 09-10-2009, 02:54 PM   #12
ClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Army Guard 31B
Name: Cam
ClemsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
When you get in jake swing by the house again and i'll show you the technique I use. I'm pretty sure chris used it to get his numbers. Chalk method.
what's the Chalk Method?
Old 09-10-2009, 02:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTacoma View Post
what's the Chalk Method?
http://www.automedia.com/Optimizing_...cr20010801tp/1
Old 09-10-2009, 02:56 PM   #14
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
what's the Chalk Method?

Draw a line with chalk across the tires, drive 100 yards and see the wear pattern on the tires. Then adjust inflation until it is spot on
Old 09-10-2009, 02:58 PM   #15

Optimizing Tire Pressure

Proper inflation puts the most rubber on the road

Jimmy Nylund / autoMedia.com

About the only positive result from the current Ford/Firestone situation is that more people are now aware that proper tire inflation pressures can be crucial. Luckily, running the correct pressure is relatively easy—but how do you know what it is? That depends on a number of factors, including vehicle weight, tire specs, air temperature and even personal preference. Newer vehicles have the manufacturer's recommended pressures on a decal in the door jam or glovebox, but those numbers are for a stock vehicle with a full load.

Air Apparent Running the correct pressure is relatively easy—but how do you know what it is?
Tires lose pressure over time, so checking the inflation at least every couple of weeks is important. While you have your tire gauge out, you might as well set them at a correct pressure for your vehicle/tire/load combination.

One simple method for finding the right pressure for your vehicle is to draw a chalk line across the tread, then drive a bit and check the line. Even wear is good, while the line fading in the center indicates over-inflation. Worst is when the chalk mark wears off at the outer edges (shoulders) first, meaning that the pressure is too low. Under-inflation lessens the tire's load capacity, can make for squirrelly handling and, most importantly, makes the tire run hotter. Hot tires tend to disintegrate, regardless of who made them. Consequently, it's better to err on the high side, even if ride quality may suffer and the tire wear pattern could be less than optimal. However, do not exceed the maximum pressure as stated on the sidewall—there can indeed be too much of a good thing.

Once the lines wear off evenly, note those pressures for future reference. While the inflation must be identical for both ends of an axle, the front tires will often require a slightly higher pressure since they usually carry more of the weight of an unladen vehicle (most engines are up front).

Gauging Pressure
It doesn't really matter how accurate your tire gauge is as long as it's consistent and you use that same one every time. Also important for repeatability is to measure the tires either cold or warm, then stick with that measurement method since tire pressure vary quite a bit with temperature. Last, but not the least, if adding load to the vehicle, don't forget to add to the tire pressures accordingly.

You'll need a piece of chalk, a tire gauge, a pen and a note pad. Make a chalk mark across the tread as pictured, on one front and one rear tire, and then drive a quarter mile or so in a straight line. Stop and study the chalk marks and note the pressure readings on the gauge.
This tire shows over-inflation, having relatively intact marks at the shoulders while the center of the line is more worn. Ideally, the chalk would have faded evenly across the tread surface. Let out some air and try again.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:00 PM   #16
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David Tarantino's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post

just hold on chris is comeing to N.J to work for me 1st
and the water is right down the street
Old 09-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #17
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post

Darn straight I aint going to use the chalk method cause I don't know how to do it!!!!
Old 09-10-2009, 04:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tarantino View Post
just hold on chris is comeing to N.J to work for me 1st
and the water is right down the street

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Darn straight I aint going to use the chalk method cause I don't know how to do it!!!!
LMAO!!!

Quote:
Thanks Chris! I'm deffinetly going to have to do it if I get new tires