Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Tire chains or snow tires?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-14-2009, 06:29 PM   #1
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Tire chains or snow tires?

I am moving to SE Wyoming in the next few months. From what I understand, we'll be dealing with more ice than snow in this area. I've read WY's chain law and it looks like I have the option of either 4wd, snow tires, or chains on closed roads. Or a combination I guess?
Anyway, what's the best option (or combination) for icy conditions?
Any recommendation for a particular brand of chain or tire?

Thanks

ETA:

Here's the WY chain law-

31-5-956 (e) Tires, restriction of travel under hazardous conditions; penalties

When the chain law is in effect due to snow, ice or other conditions, travel on a highway may be restricted to use only by motor vehicles utilizing adequate snow tires or tire chains, motor vehicles that are all-wheel drive or necessary emergency vehicles, including snow plows. In extremely hazardous conditions, travel may be resticted to use only by necessary emergency vehicles, including snow plows, and those vehicles utilizing tire chains or to all-wheel drive vehicles utilizing adequate snow tires with a mud and snow or all-weather rating from the manufacturer having a tread of sufficient abrasive or skid-resistant design or composition and depth to provide adequate traction under existing driving conditions. The prohibition or restriction of use shall be effective when signs, including temporary or electronic signs, giving notice thereof are erected upon that protion of the highway, and it shall be unlawful to proceed in violation of the notice.

The operator of a commercial vehicle shall affix tire chains to at least two (2) of the drive wheels of the vehicle at opposite ends of the same drive axle when the vehicle is required to utilize tire chains under this subsection......

31-5-956 (j) -Penalties - Any person who operates a motor vehicle in violation of these restrictions under subsection (e) of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be subject to a penalty of not more than $250.00. Any person who operates a motor vehicle, where the results of the violation is an incident that causes the closure of all lanes in one (1) or both directions of travel of that highway, is guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be subject to a penalty of not more than $750.00.

31-5-956 (k) - As used in this section, "tire chains" means metal chains which consist of two (2) circular metal loops, one (1) on each side of the tire, connected by not less than nine (9) evenly spaced chains across the tire tread and any other traction devices differing from metal chains in construction, material or design but capable of providing traction equal to or exceeding that of metal chains under similar conditions.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
Nope.....I wasn't there........
general61 is on a distinguished road

Name: John
general61's Tacoma Gallery
Snow tires hands down. The latest technology in snow tires beats the crap out chains in all situations.(except for the end of the world...... maybe). I'd run yokohama\bridgestone\michelin snow tires myself. You could also run the BFG A\T KO....it is rated as snow tire.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:55 PM   #4
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
wow. what a crappy thread (personally). I just reserved a cabin in the snow this coming January and now I gotta figure out how to get up there. lol. Any suggestions? Im running Mud Tires which suck in the snow, so Ive heard, and Im lifted 2.5 inches.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:20 PM   #5
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on how deep the snow is. Mud tires can actually work really well in snow. Just like mud, air down and paddle it.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:35 AM   #6
gfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to behold

Name: Gary
gfiber's Tacoma Gallery
In some cases tire chains may be required on all 4 wheels on a 4X4 vehicle even when equipped with good all weather traction tires. It happens from time to time here in Washington state crossing some of the mountain passes.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:09 PM   #7
Nope.....I wasn't there........
general61 is on a distinguished road

Name: John
general61's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunctnlretard View Post
wow. what a crappy thread (personally). I just reserved a cabin in the snow this coming January and now I gotta figure out how to get up there. lol. Any suggestions? Im running Mud Tires which suck in the snow, so Ive heard, and Im lifted 2.5 inches.

I agree with krazie.......I have run mud tires multiple times in crap weather...its just a matter of air pressure. In my old CJ I ran them right around 15 to 18 psi, that seemed to be the magic number for good traction.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:15 PM   #9
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by general61 View Post
I agree with krazie.......I have run mud tires multiple times in crap weather...its just a matter of air pressure. In my old CJ I ran them right around 15 to 18 psi, that seemed to be the magic number for good traction.
Well that's great to know but my main concern is local enforcement. At this time of the year, BIG BEAR MOUNTAIN usually requires chains or 4x4 or else they don't let you pass. So I'm trying to figure out what the heck I'm gonna do. I'd hate to buy snow tires and use them 2x/yr.