Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Balance Resolution

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-15-2009, 11:11 PM   #1
Lifeoffroad03 is on a distinguished road

Lifeoffroad03's Tacoma Gallery
Balance Resolution

So is there a fix to the balancing issues?
Old 09-16-2009, 04:09 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Whatta ya mean? Need more info.......

Balancing - as in - tires?

My husband and I have used EQUAL balancing in our Jeep (35x12.50x15) for years. It's worked GREAT even up at highway speeds 70mph. The same EQUAL has been in the tires for about 5 years.

The key to that, is putting the right amount in each tire. A local friend & garage owner down the street got it perfect.

http://www.imiproducts.com/equal/index.aspx
Old 09-16-2009, 06:10 AM   #3
PropJet has a spectacular aura aboutPropJet has a spectacular aura about
PropJet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
The same EQUAL has been in the tires for about 5 years.
How do you get it from those little packets into the tires?

(Sorry, couldn't resist. )
Old 09-16-2009, 06:11 AM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropJet View Post

Old 09-16-2009, 06:30 AM   #5
rob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
rob1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

....sorry Janster....
Old 09-16-2009, 07:02 AM   #6

Quote:

My husband and I have used EQUAL balancing in our Jeep (35x12.50x15) for years. It's worked GREAT even up at highway speeds 70mph. The same EQUAL has been in the tires for about 5 years.

The key to that, is putting the right amount in each tire. A local friend & garage owner down the street got it perfect.

Yes tire balancing. I had it in my FJ and now my Tacoma. As soon as i put new tires and wheels on. I have tried all those different balancers to. The Hunter the roadforce and nothing has worked. It fixes it for a few miles and then right back. I have seen post after post about this on here and FJ forums and im just surprised there is not a TSB.

Even my service guy that i have seen for years told me the trucks they modify to sell have had issues and they cant figure it out.

So just wondering if anyone has truly solved this or not
Old 09-16-2009, 07:05 AM   #7

Quote:

NICE!

Sorry Janster but you gotta admit it was pretty good...
Old 09-16-2009, 07:14 AM   #8
ligero18 is on a distinguished road
Army: 1 AD, Wiesbaden, Germany
ligero18's Tacoma Gallery
Any of you had a high speed balance? I know when we had customers that had balance issues when getting new rims this would fix it. There was only one place that did it in range of us though and it was still about 30 minutes away. It basically does the balance process with the rims still on the car at highway speed. What speed are you getting to when you notice the problem?
Old 09-16-2009, 07:24 AM   #9
mmmm tacos!
nad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
nad's Tacoma Gallery
i have seen some people have to use a lot of weights to get properly balanced with after market rims
Old 09-16-2009, 07:57 AM   #10
ligero18 is on a distinguished road
Army: 1 AD, Wiesbaden, Germany
ligero18's Tacoma Gallery
Here is some good information:

http://customwheelsmarket.com/moinonwhba.html

The "high speed balance" I was refering to is also know as balancing "on vehicle."

Like I said we sent our customers with balance problems to get it done and never had any problems after.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:09 PM   #12
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeoffroad03 View Post
Yes tire balancing. I had it in my FJ and now my Tacoma. As soon as i put new tires and wheels on. I have tried all those different balancers to. The Hunter the roadforce and nothing has worked. It fixes it for a few miles and then right back. I have seen post after post about this on here and FJ forums and im just surprised there is not a TSB.

Even my service guy that i have seen for years told me the trucks they modify to sell have had issues and they cant figure it out.

So just wondering if anyone has truly solved this or not
Did you try a standard balance machine....balance the tire as usual. Then - take the tire off the machine and rotate it 180 degrees and spin it again?

Another thought.... Are all 4 of them out of balance? Have you tried rotating them to see if the vibration severity & feel changes? Perhaps you can narrow it down to one or two wheels/tires?

I've known guys to install new wheels & tires and find one of the wheels were bad...or one of the tires were bad.

If (for whatever reason), one of your wheels are bent or out-of-round can also cause vibrations. I had a wheel that was bent and out-of-round by only 1/8" and it caused a vibration at 60mph (on my jeep).
Old 09-16-2009, 07:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligero18 View Post
Here is some good information:

http://customwheelsmarket.com/moinonwhba.html

The "high speed balance" I was refering to is also know as balancing "on vehicle."

Like I said we sent our customers with balance problems to get it done and never had any problems after.
I believe the high speed balance is the same as the "road force" it is done on the car.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Did you try a standard balance machine....balance the tire as usual. Then - take the tire off the machine and rotate it 180 degrees and spin it again?

Another thought.... Are all 4 of them out of balance? Have you tried rotating them to see if the vibration severity & feel changes? Perhaps you can narrow it down to one or two wheels/tires?

I've known guys to install new wheels & tires and find one of the wheels were bad...or one of the tires were bad.

If (for whatever reason), one of your wheels are bent or out-of-round can also cause vibrations. I had a wheel that was bent and out-of-round by only 1/8" and it caused a vibration at 60mph (on my jeep).
I tried all forms of balance on my FJ. I havent yet rotated the ones on my Tacoma as I just got them on. Based on my FJ something tells me its going to be no different. I have run all kinds of wheels and tire combos and never had issues until i got into 2007 + Toyota truck suspension. I cant imagine i was unlucky enough to two sets of wheel and tire combos and they were bad. Unless the shop i use has a huge stock of bad tires.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:59 AM   #15
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Here's some info I forgot about....

When you use EQUAL - they install a special valve stem with a filter in it. The filter is to prevent the granuals from coming out when you air up the tires (or whatever).

Obviously, you can't have the TPMS & the filtered valve stem at the same time.

Do you need the filtered valve stem? Not necessarily..... when offroading, we had to remove the valve stem cores completely to air-down. The filters wouldn't let the air out fast enough. We lost a few granuals, but that didn't affect how it balanced.

Can you run the TPMS with EQUAL? I honestly don't know....how or if the granuals will affect the TPMS or not. Or if anyone has ever tried it....???

But getting the proper amount in the tire is a major key in how it works.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:16 PM   #16

Alright everyone i took engadgets recommendations and requested to have the tires balanced by the lugs and guess what IT WORKED. They did this with the road force balance on a hunter machine and hopefully i wont jinx it but it rides great.