1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

(!) Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Rich Beauregard, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Oct 2, 2009 at 3:06 AM
    Rich Beauregard

Rich Beauregard [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    New London, CT
    Vehicle:
    17 Taco 4x4 SR5 Access Cab White
    Okay, I've had a nail in my tire in the past and when the pressure went lower in that tire the (!) Light would light up to let me know I had a low tire. NOW, I had new wheels put on a week ago, and the TPMS were working fine in the new rims/tires until yesturday. I was on my way into Pittsburgh when the light (!) came on and started to "flash" on & off. I called my dealer and the service guy said that means one of the sensors is broken or the main sensor computer is bad. MY QUESTION: How can I tell which sensor it is? My spare tire has a sensor in it (Spare has been sitting in my garage, not under the truck) and if I know which tire has a bad sensor, I will use the sensor out of my spare to replace the bad one. Any help appreciated. Thank you in advance, Rich

2. Oct 2, 2009 at 3:31 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I hate that shit! Glad it's only on the wife's RAV4! Unplug the module & go without it if possible.

3. Oct 2, 2009 at 4:04 AM
    Rich Beauregard

Rich Beauregard [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    New London, CT
    Vehicle:
    17 Taco 4x4 SR5 Access Cab White
    You should have heard the service guy, He sounded all excited like he was going to make some easy money. He said "When can we schedule your visit" I said I'd cut the wire to the light before paying money over a blinking light.

4. Oct 2, 2009 at 4:15 AM
    TRDnAZ

TRDnAZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chandler, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Desert Sand Mica
    I believe the dealer service guys have a remote scanner that they use to walk around the truck with to scan each sensor to check its status i.e. weither it working or not.

5. Oct 2, 2009 at 4:21 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    If you spare is in your garage and you left a certain radius (Some folks say 50 miles or so...I'm not sure about that) or spent a certain amount of time with the truck running while away form the spare the light might go off. I'd try throwing the spare in the bed or whatever and seeing if that fixes it??

6. Oct 2, 2009 at 4:51 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    I was thinking the same thing...I'm sure there was a similar post about this and all 5 sensors have to be on/near the truck for the system to work properly. I'd say put the spare back on the truck and see if it works before doing anything else.

If a sensor is broken, I'd see if the place that installed the tires would fix it before the stealership.

7. Oct 2, 2009 at 5:37 AM
    hillbillynwv

hillbillynwv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairmont, WV
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 6MT TRD Pro
    Falken Wildpeak MT 285's
    The spare tire having the sensor and not being with the truck is causing this problem. Why is your spare in the garage and not under your truck?

8. Oct 2, 2009 at 5:58 AM
    stephbm6

stephbm6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Jordan, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR Double Cab
    Who ever put your new wheels & tires broke one of your sensors. I've changed my wheels & tires 2 times and they broke one sensor both times. They put a new sensor on and then I had to take it to the dealer to calibrate it to my truck.

9. Oct 2, 2009 at 7:11 AM
    cornwall325

cornwall325 Toyota newbie...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09' D.C. TRD Sport 4x4
    Seatbelt chime turned off, Toyota bedmat, Wet Okoles, stock other than that.
    Agreed. I'd say you went too far away from the spare and the TPMS system isn't happy now.

Products Discussed in

To Top