Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Dunlop Rover M/T Maxx Traction

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-04-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
Dunlop Rover M/T Maxx Traction

Saw an add for these in a four wheeler mag this weekend. I'm pretty sure they're new. Anybody heard anything about them?
http://www.dunloptires.com/catalog/t..._traction.html
Old 10-04-2009, 09:04 PM   #2
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Wow a Tacoma on the main page... Thats awesome!

Iffy.... because there still Dunflops
Old 01-07-2010, 11:07 AM   #3
Unsuspectingly striking from above
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Greg
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I know this an old thread but I wanted to resurrect it. Anybody have these tires? I'm getting tires soon and I've been going back and forth between these and Goodyear Duratracs. I'm certain the Duratracs would be awesome and I'd never regret the purchase...Buuutttt, I'm attracted to these Dunlops because:

-They're like $50 cheaper per tire
-They look like they have awesome off road traction
-They look good
-They have the snowflake symbol (Important to me because I live in the Rockies)
-They have pretty much every feature the Duratracs have (rim protector, etc.)

Here's a picture:
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...=NMAINT&cs=265

I know Goodyear has a great reputation and Dunlop is not typically held as high, but hey, if it's a good tire for less money...

Let me add before everyone tells me their favorite tire that I didn't list. I want aggressive traction (I wheel a lot). I want aggressive looks (Don't want it to look like Grandpa's truck). I do NOT want typical M/T's because I drive on snowy, icy roads regularly and drag racing slicks probably give more traction than M/T's on those roads (Dangerous to say the least).
Old 01-07-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
i have dunlop mud rovers and i really really like them! especially for paying something like 140 each. one of the first tires i had were defective, the sidewall was "bubbled" and it took a couple times to balance but other than that really happy with them
Old 01-07-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
djs05tacoma will become famous soon enough

djs05tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
My pops has been running these since september (10-12k miles) on his dodge 2500 4x4 and loves them. He tried to order the duratracs but they were on back order at the time, so he went with these instead and loves them. We hunted in a lot of mud and snow this year and the tires did great. They also ride great on the freeway. I was pretty impressed probaby going to be my next tire when my muds wear out.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:25 AM   #6
Token
Fluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Fluffymonkey's Tacoma Gallery
I remember seeing them on someone's truck here a few days ago, but can't recall who. They're good-looking tires, and real inexpensive for a mt. Other than that, i haven't seen too many reviews on them yet. I remember looking it up on tirerack and the few reviews they had looked pretty good.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:28 AM   #8
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^ who me? i have taken them in the snow and icy conditions and they did well for myself. i really have no complaints about the tire, id love to say something bad but cant haha
Old 01-07-2010, 11:31 AM   #9
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
i have dunlop mud rovers and i really really like them! especially for paying something like 140 each. one of the first tires i had were defective, the sidewall was "bubbled" and it took a couple times to balance but other than that really happy with them
By the way, nice signature! What genius wrote that?
Old 01-07-2010, 11:33 AM   #10
Almost there

haha i love it man!
Old 01-07-2010, 11:33 AM   #11

Law Enforcement:
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by djs05tacoma View Post
My pops has been running these since september (10-12k miles) on his dodge 2500 4x4 and loves them. He tried to order the duratracs but they were on back order at the time, so he went with these instead and loves them. We hunted in a lot of mud and snow this year and the tires did great. They also ride great on the freeway. I was pretty impressed probaby going to be my next tire when my muds wear out.
I'm getting more sold on them by the minute.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:41 AM   #12

Actually he was up at his cabin near Lake Tahoe(snowy icey roads) and he said they did great. He had been running Goodyear MTRs since 2003 on his truck and recently bought a cabin where it gets a lot of snow and the Goodyear MTRS were great for him in fresh powder or 1" or more of snow but said he felt like he was ice skating in anything less than that, so when he was at the tire shop the guy told hime to try the duratracs(he is/was a diehard goodyear tires fan) because of the siping and after that didn't work the shop recommended the dunlops for the snow and ice and so far so good.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #13
Soundwave has a spectacular aura aboutSoundwave has a spectacular aura about

Soundwave's Tacoma Gallery
They look a lot like the Duratrac's...like a clone copy almost! $50/tire less than the Duratracs is $200, thata Fair chunk of change!!!
Old 01-07-2010, 11:47 AM   #14
Mod'n on a Budget
1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ty
1BlkT's Tacoma Gallery
TRDBoy what size are you looking to get? On discountiredirect.com they have the 285/70/17 priced at:

Duratracs at 228.77
Maxx Tractions at 228.00

Not much of a difference and it looks like a $20 rebate for a set when you go with the Goodyears.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:51 AM   #15

Law Enforcement:
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by djs05tacoma View Post
Actually he was up at his cabin near Lake Tahoe(snowy icey roads) and he said they did great. He had been running Goodyear MTRs since 2003 on his truck and recently bought a cabin where it gets a lot of snow and the Goodyear MTRS were great for him in fresh powder or 1" or more of snow but said he felt like he was ice skating in anything less than that, so when he was at the tire shop the guy told hime to try the duratracs(he is/was a diehard goodyear tires fan) because of the siping and after that didn't work the shop recommended the dunlops for the snow and ice and so far so good.
Sorry, didn't totally get that. Dad was in Tahoe, which I've been to many times because in-laws have a time share there. He used ot have GY Mudders, tried the duratracs but didn't like them, now has the Dunlops and does like them?
Old 01-07-2010, 11:55 AM   #16

Law Enforcement:
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BlkT View Post
TRDBoy what size are you looking to get? On discountiredirect.com they have the 285/70/17 priced at:

Duratracs at 228.77
Maxx Tractions at 228.00

Not much of a difference and it looks like a $20 rebate for a set when you go with the Goodyears.
265/75/16. Depending on which site I look at, the Dunlops are $20-50 cheaper than the GY's per tire.

In the end, price isn't really that big of a deal to me. The cost is little or nothing over the life of the tires. I'll gladly pay more if I'm getting more. The question is, Am I getting more?
Old 01-07-2010, 11:55 AM   #17

Long story short. Loves the dunlops in the snow and ice.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:58 AM   #18
Mod'n on a Budget
1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ty
1BlkT's Tacoma Gallery
Ya I had a hard time choosing between the two as well. I ended up paying $202 a tire for the Duratracs so I went that route. I'd like to try those Dunlops next go around if they are still available just for a comparison because they both have what I was looking for.

Either way I don't think you can go wrong.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:17 PM   #19
ban the term murdered out
OU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gas Turbine Elec
Name: danusa
OU812's Tacoma Gallery
Dunlop gets a bad rap on here because of the OE tires Toyota chose. Let's face it, if they made nothing but bad tires they would be out of business by now. Dunlop has a long and rich history in motorsports and tire innovation. In the mid eighties Porsche contracted Dunlop to develop the wheels and tires for the fabled 959. This system (Dunlop Denloc) was the precursor to "run-flat" tires we have today. I'm not a fanboy- I run Bridgestone Revo's, but they do make some nice tires.