1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

mickey thompson baja atz

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by simooner, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Jun 9, 2010 at 11:57 AM
    Blue76

Blue76 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner Double Cab
    Dealer installed Leather, Truck Cover USA roll up cover, Pop n Lock, Bilstein 5100's on 4 corners set at 1.75, Rear Spring TSB. USA Spec iPhone adapter, 265/75/16 Mickey Thompson ATZs.
    The ATZ's are good tires if you dont mind the noise. As far as their performance they are good... not great but good. They have a slight vibration at high speeds so I am going to take them to a different place to get balanced to see if it clears up. Their off road traction is very good for an AT tire and their on road manners are are good as far as handling goes. They have a very stiff sidewall which increases the spring rate some and that makes for a much firmer ride but not bad for a truck.

The road noise is my only complaint. I have had mud tires quieter than these which performed better than these offroad but they are mud tires and that should be expected. I just didnt expect an AT tire to be as loud as they are. Can I live with it... sure.... but I would sell them today and get something quieter ... yes... I paid over $900 for these and I will take $700 today.... I had rather have the comfort and quiet ride than the extra offroad traction....

I also own a 76 Bronco... Now this is a tire I would consider for the Bronco.... I want it to have superior offroad capabilities and just being so so on the road is fine. I will look at the ATZs again in a 35x12.50 x 15 for the Bronco.... but I also like the MTZ as well.

Greg

2. Jun 22, 2010 at 12:42 PM
    Whitey08

Whitey08 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Dual Cab TRD Sport
    So Blue76, I almost purchased a set of Baja ATZ Radial for my Tacoma today, but after hearing that they are loud I think I might not. I do mostly highway driving and a little off-Roading. I have never bought All Terrain or Mud tires for that matter. What do you recommend? I want something that does all-right on trails and highway, but looks a lot better then the stock.

thanks

3. Jun 22, 2010 at 8:43 PM
    mgrande

mgrande iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Kings, AP 3" leaf pack, timbrens front and rear, TC UCA's, pro comp 7189's, baja ATZ's, CBI sliders and rear, relentless front, dynomax catback
    how about the atz plus?

4. Jun 23, 2010 at 4:05 AM
    Blue76

Blue76 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner Double Cab
    Dealer installed Leather, Truck Cover USA roll up cover, Pop n Lock, Bilstein 5100's on 4 corners set at 1.75, Rear Spring TSB. USA Spec iPhone adapter, 265/75/16 Mickey Thompson ATZs.
    I believe I would have been happier with the BFG ATs, Nittos TGs, or the Toyo ATs. I believe all of those would have been quieter although maybe not as good offroad. The ATZs have handled well, performed well and look great but they whine as much as the BFG MTs I used to have.

If an even quieter ride and less offroad ability was desired then you cant beat the Revos. I had a set of those on an F150 and loved them.

The ATZ plus is really nothing like the ATZ. The lugs are half the size, the tread is shallower and it doesnt have the side biter like the ATZ. It looks more like a street tire and an AT tire to me. I hear they perform well but they do not look as good IMO.

Greg

5. Jun 23, 2010 at 5:07 AM
    AlexanderD

AlexanderD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    whitby Ontario
    Vehicle:
    03' tacoma 4x4 trd step-side
    I love my set of atz plus. they are very well mannered on the highway and have yet to get stuck off-roading and have been through some pretty tough trails. they are by no means a mud tire though.

6. Jun 23, 2010 at 5:24 AM
    AlexanderD

AlexanderD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    whitby Ontario
    Vehicle:
    03' tacoma 4x4 trd step-side
    pics of them here

Products Discussed in

To Top