Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

TRD Sport 17" Wheels on my TRD Offroad

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-06-2009, 12:21 PM   #1
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
TRD Sport 17" Wheels on my TRD Offroad

Hey,

My new Engage Long Travel Lower control arm bolts are rubbing my 16" wheel really bad on the inside of the rim. I obviously need to upgrade to at least 17"s. I am all function over form, so I am planning on picking up a set of TRD Sport 17s tomorrow with tires for $300. However, I am weary of the backspacing on the TRD Sports (5.5"), and I am wondering if these wheels are appropriate on my truck. The tires on my stock 16"s with the Engage kit give me a little less that two finger's worth of space between the tire and the UCAs. Has anyone every run TRD Sport rims on their Offroad truck, or have any knowledge in the area? Thanks, my truck is grounded until I can get wheels that will not grind, so I am kind of in a jam!
Old 10-06-2009, 12:23 PM   #2
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
its cuz 4x4 are not meant to go LT lol i kid i kid
Old 10-06-2009, 12:59 PM   #3
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^ haha but I must persist! If the Ford Raptor can pull it off, dammit, so can I.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

bump
Old 10-06-2009, 03:53 PM   #5
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

has anyone ever put TRD Sport rims on their TRD Offroad truck?
Old 10-06-2009, 03:58 PM   #6
galpd320 is on a distinguished road

galpd320's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to galpd320 Send a message via MSN to galpd320 Send a message via Yahoo to galpd320
You would probably know beter than I, but why would TRD sport rims be any different on a TRD sport than they woudl be on a TRD off road? They are the same truck with a few minor cosmetic differences and a locker. You may be better asking has anyone installed (insert mfg. of LCA's here) on their TRD sport.

Just a thought...

-Mike
Old 10-06-2009, 04:01 PM   #7
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Im concerned because of the fact that because Sport and Offroad rims have different backspacing and offsets, that they might have different wheel bearings to handle to load differently, different sized brakes calipers to handle the space inside the wheel, etc. IIRC, Sports rims have 5.5" backspacing while Offroad rims have 5.25" backspacing.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:04 PM   #8
galpd320 is on a distinguished road

galpd320's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to galpd320 Send a message via MSN to galpd320 Send a message via Yahoo to galpd320
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
Im concerned because of the fact that because Sport and Offroad rims have different backspacing and offsets, that they might have different wheel bearings to handle to load differently, different sized brakes calipers to handle the space inside the wheel, etc. IIRC, Sports rims have 5.5" backspacing while Offroad rims have 5.25" backspacing.
But the rest of the truck is the same, right? So in theory, if someone has the same LCA's on a sport, with stock rims, then they should work on your truck.

Anyone with a Sport in here with these lower control arms?
Old 10-06-2009, 04:06 PM   #9
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

I want to get aftermarket 4.5" backspacing wheels down the road, but I dont want to drive another mile with this grinding, so im going to pick up the Sports wheels for a temporary fix while I build my wheel and tire package. I guess I'll just have to test fit them when I pick them up, but from Santa Clara to Santa Cruz is a windy trip for a truck that grinds when it turns.

EDIT: FYI, it only grinds near full lock, like when parking, but normal driving it is fine.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:12 PM   #10
JATaco will become famous soon enough
JATaco's Tacoma Gallery
Dude, you paid enough for that L.T kit, You didnt take new rims and tires into account.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:14 PM   #11
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by JATaco View Post
Dude, you paid enough for that L.T kit, You didnt take new rims and tires into account.
The LT kit was practically designed around my stock rims, my truck was with the shop for 3 months
Old 10-06-2009, 04:17 PM   #12
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JATaco View Post
Old 10-06-2009, 04:20 PM   #13
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakleyTRD View Post
i would be pretty pissed then, they should have taken this into account.

for it to rub right away is a little rediculous IMHO

and it only rubs on one side
Oh I am pissed, but Im trying to find solutions instead of ranting. I already emailed Hassim about it, waiting for a response. It rubs both sides, but very slightly on the left, almost unnoticeable. It isnt really the LCA itself, it is a huge bolt that connects it to the spindle I believe. Ima take some pics soon
Old 08-25-2014, 12:56 PM   #14
Ben550 is on a distinguished road

Ben550's Tacoma Gallery
the wheels are interchangeable. I did it with no issue.