Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Siping Tires... How Much Improvement?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-09-2009, 08:50 PM   #1
eltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud of
Army:
eltaco's Tacoma Gallery
Siping Tires... How Much Improvement?

Winter is upon us, and I'm considering siping my tires as opposed to getting new ones. I have a set of Pro Comp Mud Terrains with a lot of tread left on them, however, they are terrible in the winter.

I'm curious about siping; never have done it before. What kind of difference could I expect from siped tires as opposed to non-siped mud terrains? If it's not a huge difference, I guess I'll be dropping $850 on some BFGoodrich A/Ts.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:32 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Siping makes a huge difference in wet weather traction. Im not sure in snow, but I siped my MTR's on my M-37, and the difference was night and day in the wet.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:50 PM   #3
Keyser Soze
WATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud of

Name: Rob
WATRD's Tacoma Gallery
There is a big gain in traction, as well as heat dissipation. It's most obvious when you sipe a mud terrain with big blocks, rather than an all terrain where there are more edges for contact anyway.

The effect is most pronounced on ice and rock, as well as other hard, slick surfaces, but you will see an improvement across the board.

The downside is that it is easier to knock chunks out of the tires, so be prepared for that. It's most cosmetic, but it looks ugly.

Well worth it, in my opinion.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:58 PM   #4
I bleed Black and Gold
cheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant future

Name: Adam
cheehab's Tacoma Gallery
The guys at my local shop swear by siping on MT's. For $15 bucks a tire, it sounds well worth it to me. I'm too much of a chickenshit to cut into $800 of tires, so i bought AT's.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:19 PM   #5
jeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Active Duty
Name: Jeremie
jeremiekc's Tacoma Gallery
It is definately the way to go, especially if you live in a snowy climate. I have driven on studs and All weathers and none of them beat the traction and response from a set of sipped tires. For the price you really can't beat it.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:56 PM   #6
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Siping will make them wear a hell of a lot faster when dry.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:05 AM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
Not nesesarilly. Siping also allows the tire to more easilly cool down, or run cooler, extending its life.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:10 AM   #8
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
siping is the way to go for sure. just know that many manufacturers will void the warranty of the tire if they are siped.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:36 AM   #9
Keyser Soze
WATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud ofWATRD has much to be proud of

WATRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
Not true. In fact siped tires tend to last longer, due to the improved heat transfer. The exception might be on a street tire, driven only on pavement, especially hot pavement, But I can find only anecdotal evidence to support that. My experience, that of most people on the forums, and the recommendations of most of the dealers, is that wear is not accelerated in any way under most circumstances. I have been siping my BFG M/T's for a lot of years and seen no increase in wear, beyond the mild "chunking" I described earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifuto View Post
I paid for all that rubber and i'm gonna use every last bit.
Siping doesn't remove any material, like grooving does. http://www.lesschwab.com/siping.asp "Our SIPING process doesn't remove ANY rubber from the tread allowing the individual SIPES to support each other."

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteoraman2514 View Post
siping is the way to go for sure. just know that many manufacturers will void the warranty of the tire if they are siped.
Perhaps, but most of the major tire dealers perform siping and will honor the warranty anyway, if they do the siping. In fact, at Discount Tire, their full replacement warranty for any reason is still in effect. I understand Schwab also backs theirs 100%.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tireSiping.dos
Old 10-10-2009, 06:48 AM   #10
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
wtf is siping?

Old 10-10-2009, 06:52 AM   #11
Keyser Soze

WATRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mws4ua View Post
wtf is siping?

From the post right above yours:

http://www.lesschwab.com/siping.asp

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tireSiping.dos

Those should get you up to speed, but here's more anyway: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siping_%28rubber%29