Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

New Dummy looking for a few answers on Tires

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2008, 02:41 PM   #1
baldtaco is on a distinguished road

baldtaco's Tacoma Gallery
New Dummy looking for a few answers on Tires

Hey guys, So I have been looking at lots and lots and lots of tires and I came to realize something..... I don't know the true difference between "All Terrain" and "Mud Terrain" tires? Obviouly the M/T's are a lot cooler and more agressive looking but in the matter of everyday driving how do they compare. Mileage, on the streets, and longevity? How do they compare in these fields. Anybody shoot me some stats on the two or maybe just some personal insight......thanks.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:43 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
just my .02, but mud terrains will yield worse gas mileage, they wear out alot quicker than an a/t tire, they are way louder too.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:26 PM   #3
`
rick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
just my .02, but mud terrains will yield worse gas mileage, they wear out alot quicker than an a/t tire, they are way louder too.
this may be true. they may cost a lil less also. but my mileage has suffered only 2 mpg.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:16 PM   #4
L_Jackson is on a distinguished road

Army: Avenger Crew Member - 1st Cav 98-01
L_Jackson's Tacoma Gallery
i'm more concerned with looks that stupid stuff like performance, gas milage, wear and tear, quality, stupid stuff like that.... just kidding, sort of, but my point is go with what looks good and what you want.... granted, if you drive 3 hours a day you don't want something noisy, and if you offroad you want something capable, but if there is not a real good reason why i should get one thing over another, i go with what looks the best..... i'm gonna have to make sure i type this with a deep voice, that sure does sound like something a woman would say!

*really high pitched* ohhhh bald get this one!!! look how pretty it is! and it comes in this cute little box....
Old 02-03-2008, 07:30 PM   #5

Ohhhh Jackson your tires are soooooo big and mean looking ......Chicks luv a guy with a big wheel.....lol
Old 02-03-2008, 07:44 PM   #6
L_Jackson is on a distinguished road

Army: Avenger Crew Member - 1st Cav 98-01
L_Jackson's Tacoma Gallery
that's funny bald, but i have always heard the opposite, i've heard "hey look at that guy with jacked up truck and big tires, he compensatin for something"
Old 02-03-2008, 07:46 PM   #7
Sometimes I drink water...
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
i've seen reviews of bfg mt's lasting 100k miles and still having tread left....thats what i'm going for. a friend of mine in SC just bought a f250 w/ an 8" lift and 37" nitto mud grapplers and he says they suck on highway and have worn down really fast. its all in the hardness of the tire itself as to how it'll do on mileage
Old 02-04-2008, 10:54 AM   #8

Jackson, its the guys with the big trucks and big tires that are compensating.....guys with little trucks and big tires are just cool...
Old 02-04-2008, 04:16 PM   #9
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
What you could is find a tire with a modest tread but with some beefy shoulders, the tread keeps the noise down, but when in the goo, the shoulders bite in and keep the buggy going, you're going to have to go old school for these, Cooper has one, but you're best bet is to locate and old tire shop without all the big names, they will mostly be tall and skinny.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:57 PM   #10

thanks jedi....
Old 02-04-2008, 08:03 PM   #11
350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

350TacoZilla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 350TacoZilla
I'll insert another plug here for my tires LOL Trail Mark APR's very good tires cheaper than any name brand I have tons of experience with these thing and they work great...check out my photos to see them on zuki...also on the idea of aggressive outer lugs but better center tread good old ground hawgs are very well known for wearing like Iron due to their center tread almost being continious I have had them also(still have one set) they are VERY noisy though