Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

How wide are the 15" 5-lug steel wheels on Gen 2's?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-04-2008, 08:03 AM   #1
cycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to behold
cycledrum's Tacoma Gallery
How wide are the 15" 5-lug steel wheels on Gen 2's?

Toyota seems to hide the full dimensions from the 2005+ 5-lug steel 15" wheel on the non-prerunner/4x4 models.

So, how wide are those suckers? 6"? 7?

That'll stink if it's a 6" rim since the biggest tire to fit might be the 215/75-15's, which look like golf cart tires on the non-prerunner/access cab.

Geez, even Nissan lists the wheel specs online - 15 x 7 and they manage a 235-75-15 on their 4-popper.

btw, I've already got a complaint/suggestion into Toyota corporate/customer service about this BS.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:32 AM   #2
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
I'm pretty sure the stock wheel is 15" X 6". The golf cart look is all the rage in the retirement communities
Old 02-04-2008, 08:36 AM   #3
cycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
I'm pretty sure the stock wheel is 15" X 6". The golf cart look is all the rage in the retirement communities
I hope not. Called Hayward Toyota service writer this morning, he claims it's a 15 x 7 wheel.

Doesn't Toyota list the Diam. x width in the owner's manual? anyone?
Old 02-04-2008, 09:04 AM   #4
Alright, so a major tire shop in Fremont confirmed the 5-lug stock 15" wheel is a ...

15 x 6" OMG

215 width tire is about the widest to put on stock wheel...

estimate of $1200 for aftermarket set of larger wheels / tires.

I think I'm through with Toyota on this 4-cylinder access cab automatic model.

O&O
Old 02-04-2008, 09:59 AM   #5
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
I have the stock "golf cart" wheels and tires and I'm happy with them. I had not even considered that the wheels and tires looked small as much as I thought the opening looked big. Either way I don't notice it anymore.
I refuse to spend money on something just for looks and the stock package handles well enough and gives me good MPG.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:26 AM   #6
I'm just saying they ought to step it up to a 15 x 7" wheels to give the option to run a 235/70-15 tire on the truck. I don't think that would hurt fuel economy much and it would complement the increased size of the Gen 2 body.

I'm not suggesting to put overly large tires ... 245's, 265's etc... on the little 4-popper, just something reasonable.

Geez, my 500 lb. Yamaha FZ1 has a 5.5" rear rim and 180 width tire.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:29 PM   #7
lawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nice

lawnrevenge's Tacoma Gallery
I've seen 5-lugs with 30x9.5 on the original rims. Also seen after market rims with the same size tires (235x75) It didn't look bad and the guy with them mounted said handling was fine.

I plan to run a total chaos 3" lift along with after market 15" and 30x9.5 tires. If I re-gear I might go bigger.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:28 AM   #8
david04 is on a distinguished road
david04's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running 235/75/15 on the stock rim and it looks so much better than stock.