Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

ProComp 7089 Lug Nut Clusterf**k. 7089 owners: Help

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-21-2009, 12:52 PM   #1
Jimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jimirich's Tacoma Gallery
ProComp 7089 Lug Nut Clusterf**k. 7089 owners: Help

so I got my procomp 7089s and now I just need to get the lugs. I want black. PM'ed a guy after a search of threads who was searching for black lugs previously.
He told me he ordered from Wheelers Off Road and got a 12mmx1.5 Flat flange nut instead of the acorn style. It was his assertion that the factory style acorn style lug would be too shallow in regards to lug thread coverage.
Shoots, so I call Wheelers and I ordered from Dan, but he says "Nope"
flat flange lug nuts are for factory wheels only. So I order the acorn style.

WTF???
Is it debatable in our communitywhat type of lugs to use??
I guess I'l probaly wait for OakleyTRD to chime in for me.
Whats up, 7089 owners What is the correct style of lug to order????
Old 10-21-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
Spootypuff is on a distinguished road
Spootypuff's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Spootypuff
free bump
Old 10-21-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
I have Pro Comp 7028s and the only lug nuts that work are from 4wheelparts.com because 4wheelparts owns and produces Pro Comp Products
Old 10-21-2009, 03:04 PM   #4
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

check this product out: http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/12...&t_pn=PXA21134
Old 10-21-2009, 03:55 PM   #5
iDRiVaTRD is a glorious beacon of lightiDRiVaTRD is a glorious beacon of lightiDRiVaTRD is a glorious beacon of lightiDRiVaTRD is a glorious beacon of lightiDRiVaTRD is a glorious beacon of light
iDRiVaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 7089's and mine are Acorn style lugs. I had flat's with the stocker's. I bought my wheels from Discount Tire. Not sure who makes the lugs.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:01 PM   #6
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
This is the crap that 4wp sent me... they are NOT the right lug nuts for these wheels. I have gorillas on mine but they are chrome and dont come in black. I have yet to find a black lug that works. You need a lug with a shank on it for two reasons. One for more lug coverage and the other because these wheels are not hub centric you need a shanked lug to center the hole in the wheel with the lug. The acorn/tapered end style don't always center perfectly and can cause balance issues. Let me find a pic of the right kind for you. but they wont be black.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:04 PM   #7
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

^ thats true, but just take care when putting your wheels on. Ive taken mine on and off around 5 times and I just tighten the lug nuts carefully. if you do find what you are looking, be sure to share with us tho.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:09 PM   #8
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
The left is unshanked and the right is shanked. The shank goes into the hole in the wheel and centers it around the lug as well as providing more thread coverage of the lug. The one on the left just relies on the tapered part to center the hole on the lug and they dont always seat right. I called 4WP and asked for black lugs for the 7089s and they sent me ones like the left. But, I refuse to run that kind of lug on a non-hubcentric wheel and very much like the fact that im getting that much more thread coverage. I will just live with chrome till I find black shanked lugs in the splined type.

Attached Thumbnails
ProComp 7089 Lug Nut Clusterf**k. 7089 owners: Help-lugs.jpg  
Old 10-21-2009, 04:42 PM   #9
wareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jay
wareagle5693's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wareagle5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreRunnerSeth View Post
The left is unshanked and the right is shanked. The shank goes into the hole in the wheel and centers it around the lug as well as providing more thread coverage of the lug. The one on the left just relies on the tapered part to center the hole on the lug and they dont always seat right. I called 4WP and asked for black lugs for the 7089s and they sent me ones like the left. But, I refuse to run that kind of lug on a non-hubcentric wheel and very much like the fact that im getting that much more thread coverage. I will just live with chrome till I find black shanked lugs in the splined type.

why don't you just paint them?
Old 10-21-2009, 04:43 PM   #10
Jimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreRunnerSeth View Post
This is the crap that 4wp sent me... they are NOT the right lug nuts for these wheels. I have gorillas on mine but they are chrome and dont come in black. I have yet to find a black lug that works. You need a lug with a shank on it for two reasons. One for more lug coverage and the other because these wheels are not hub centric you need a shanked lug to center the hole in the wheel with the lug. The acorn/tapered end style don't always center perfectly and can cause balance issues. Let me find a pic of the right kind for you. but they wont be black.
Thanks
Old 10-21-2009, 04:46 PM   #11
Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wareagle5693 View Post
why don't you just paint them?
The paint would get mangled just from installing them.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:19 PM   #12

Thumbs up Thanks thanks thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakleyTRD View Post
this is what your looking for, sorry i missed your PM on TN jim, there wasnt really a way for me to answer it
Thanks so very much to PreRunnerSeth and Oakley TRD.
Exactly the kind of help we are all here to give and receive.
Wheelers was going to send the unshanked set to me and I was able to change my order because they weren't expecting the black lugs till tomorrow.
I would definately put safety over vanity in this regard cause I wheel often with my 4 and 7yo girls.

Seth I think you should put together a lug essay and have it posted as a sticky.
I can always paint the tops of the lugs flat black.
Now if I can only decide on
285/75/16 or 265/75/16 Tires.
Km2s or at KOs
At least I have the dough to get them right now
Old 10-21-2009, 05:29 PM   #13
gcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to behold

gcwaterski's Tacoma Gallery
I have 265 and kick myself everytime I see 285's. Even if you don't have aftermarket UCA's I would still do 285's. I have KO's and like em. I don't go offroad a lot, but do like the looks of the Km2s. I am just afraid they will make my truck shake and vibrate like they do my bud's 1st Gen.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:47 PM   #14
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimirich View Post
Wheelers was going to send the unshanked set to me and I was able to change my order because they weren't expecting the black lugs till tomorrow.
so you are saying that you purchased a set of wheelers' black acorn lug nuts that are shanked to properly seat a lug centric wheel, that will fit inside the tiny pro comp lug nut wells? damn, i need to get on this too. I have the pro comp 7028s and I take forever putting the lug nuts on so the wheel is properly centered around the hub and the lug nuts dont drill another groove into the wheels.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:04 PM   #15
Navy:
yeah let us know if they get you black lugs with shanks. I would much rather have black lugs.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:12 PM   #17
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

^ actually none of those are what we're looking for because they do not have the shank to properly seat a lug centric wheel.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:42 PM   #18
Master Jedi Member I am...
chad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Chad
chad68's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
^ actually none of those are what we're looking for because they do not have the shank to properly seat a lug centric wheel.

So you're looking for something like this but black??

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CR...4/?image=large
Old 10-22-2009, 12:20 AM   #19

Quote:
so you are saying that you purchased a set of wheelers' black acorn lug nuts that are shanked to properly seat a lug centric wheel, that will fit inside the tiny pro comp lug nut wells? damn, i need to get on this too. I have the pro comp 7028s and I take forever putting the lug nuts on so the wheel is properly centered around the hub and the lug nuts dont drill another groove into the wheels.
Nope I did not get black acorns properly shanked. I ordered chrome acorns with a shank. As someone posted before, seemingly, there are no black ones available.
I may lightly sand the top surface of the nuts and spray them flat black.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:56 AM   #20
sincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to all
sincitytaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have gorilla acorns on my american racing 17x9 mojave teflons with 285/70/17 bfg all terrains. My truck has no shimmy from the tires/wheels what so ever. It actually rolls smoother than my stock tires, by far. My suspension is stiffer with the coilovers, but it rolls dead smooth with no vibration or shimmy what so ever. I drive upwards of 90mpg sometimes as well.

Products Discussed in this Thread