Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

235/85r16

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-22-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
235/85r16

When I finally need new tires, I am considering 235/85R16s. I would rather have a little more ground clearance than a wider tire. My taco is my daily driver, but I wheel on weekends and when I go hunting.

These are the two sizes I am contemplating

from the online tire size calculator

I originally ruled this out because the Bridgestone Dueller Revos in this size were load range E and 52 pounds!

However the Revo II in this saize are also load range E but are only 42 pounds. This is still a little heavier than I would like but it is much more manageable.

Now I fully recognize my lack of knowledge and experience with both offroading and tire selection so this is where I hope you guys rip me a new one if I deserve it.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Is this on stock rims?
Old 10-22-2009, 03:34 PM   #3
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:

Old 10-22-2009, 03:34 PM   #4
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Most likely. I may upgrade but I am not sure yet
Old 10-22-2009, 03:35 PM   #5
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post

Lol I realized I grabbed the wrong link and edited at the same time
Old 10-22-2009, 03:45 PM   #6

Marines:
I am drawing a blank on the stock rim width. You have the 16 in. steelies?
Old 10-22-2009, 03:46 PM   #7
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
I am thinking about getting the same size. skinny tires (pizza cutters) roll good on the road are awesome in snow because they cut down and give you good traction, they are good on rocks and even clay but lousy in sand (too narrow). The way i think of it is that the military has always used tall skinny tires on unstapable vehicles (ex. old jeeps, field vehicles, etc.) i have a reg cab 4x4 manual 2.7l and am also afraid this size will kill the power and mpg
Old 10-22-2009, 03:47 PM   #8
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes I believe they are 7" but they may be 8"
Old 10-22-2009, 03:47 PM   #9
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
stock steelies 16x7
Old 10-22-2009, 03:47 PM   #10
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
This site says 7"

http://www.hubcaps-wheelcovers.com/s...ota-trucks.htm
Old 10-22-2009, 03:48 PM   #11
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
stock steelies 16x7
Yup he is correct^^^^^
Old 10-22-2009, 03:51 PM   #12

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
BTW i ran 235/85-16 on a 2500hd and 2500 suburban and lived on a farm that was greasy clay any time it rained. The skinny tires cut through the muck down to good ground, however, in bottomless pit type mud they suck. Might be a good balance on a Tacoma that wheighs 3000lbs not a 3/4t chevy loaded with lumber or firewood
Old 10-22-2009, 03:54 PM   #13

Marines:
Well, then I say DO WORK SON. They only issue you may have is a little loss in traction. If you are concerned about power loss, I ran 31 10.5 15's on my 98 2.7L. They weighed 44 pounds.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:05 PM   #14
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Dude thats a narrow tire...I'd have to see it on a 2nd Gen. I wonder how they'd do in sand lol
Old 10-22-2009, 05:09 PM   #15
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottcrumley24 View Post
Dude thats a narrow tire...I'd have to see it on a 2nd Gen. I wonder how they'd do in sand lol
Probably not well, but most of my offroading is on mountain trails. The only time I ever went on sand was at the beach with my stock tires aired up to 30-something and I did fine haha.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:11 PM   #16
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm, post pics if ya get em
Old 10-22-2009, 05:15 PM   #17
TacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud of

TacoSter's Tacoma Gallery
i went with 265/70/17 ---- 31.6" diameter and it corrected our speedometer f up that toyota created. it runs dead nuts accurate now.
Toyota claims plus or minus 10% is allowable torerance

best part... the speedo is perfect.. the odometer runs less.. about 30 miles for every 300
Old 10-22-2009, 05:16 PM   #18
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottcrumley24 View Post
Hmmm, post pics if ya get em
I will but it may be a while. I can't afford them until these bastards wear out. They are at 30K

Old 02-27-2010, 02:28 PM   #19
rick_s is on a distinguished road
rick_s's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
Has anyone found any pics of these tires on a 2nd gen? I've been searching here and on a few other forums but haven't seen anything yet.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:09 PM   #20
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSter View Post
Toyota claims plus or minus 10% is allowable torerance
My guess is plus only. Otherwise they might have some liability in a speeding case (speedo indicated 70 but he was really travelling 77). If they error on the plus side, you'd indicate faster than you're really going.

That and I've never heard of anyone complaining that their speedo indicated too slow.