1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spare tire low air solution.

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by PPD934, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Feb 14, 2008 at 3:06 PM
    PPD934

PPD934 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    06 silver double TRD
    Running bars, tinted window (, TSB mod ,885 coils, OME shocks up front, AAl and procomp 9000 out back, partially debadged/black out the others, weathertech floor mats, grillcraft grill, TRD skid plate
    I am new here and don;t know if this has been covered so sorry if it has. The annoying low pressure light that come on and is usually due to you spare that is a pain to put air in. I read on here where some were flipping the tire over but that makes hitting the valve stem a danger when off roading. This is what I did. I went to a local tire/wheel dealer (or camper dealer, or semi truck repair shop) and asked for a flexable valve stem extension hose that you put on the inside tire of a Dually truck setup so you can reach the valve stem. I lowered my spare put the extension on and then ran it thru a hole in the wheel facing it down. Raise the tire back up and now its no problem if the light comes on cause I don;t have to lower the tire anymore,.

Just a suggestion for all who didn;t know these extensions existed...
    its about 6 to 8 inches long and cost me 15 bucks

2. Feb 14, 2008 at 3:25 PM
    Marcola

Marcola Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Utica, NY
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab TRD Off Road 4x4 in Silver
    TRD seat covers, Back Country tube steps, Billy 5100 at 2.5 in front, TSB w/ Toytec AAL in back, Tonneau cover, Vent visors, and a Bass Tracker PT 175 towing behind the Taco.
    Thank you, I will be setting myself up with this tomorrow. Great idea!

3. Feb 14, 2008 at 3:44 PM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    Sweet! Another cheap Mod!

I was under the truck filling the darned spare a couple weeks ago. I was on the highway when the low pressure light came on in AM rush hour traffic and it was about 4 miles to where I could safely pull over and check my tires. All four tires had proper pressure so I kept going.

It was only later in the day when it dawned on me that there was a sensor on the spare. :eek:

4. Feb 14, 2008 at 3:52 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    i've had mine for over a year now and i've never had a light come on. hopefully the light wont be coming on after the new tires get installed though

5. Feb 14, 2008 at 4:15 PM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    It took 18 months and a cold morning to set my spare off. On that note I highly suggest occasionally lowering and raising the spare and spraying a couple shots of WD40 onto the winch and cable that hold it in place. It sucks to find out that it rusted from lack of use when you need it.

6. Feb 14, 2008 at 4:16 PM
    45longcolt

45longcolt Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW Area
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off Road
    I have read on one of the Tacoma forums that you can fool the TPMS part of the ECU by lowering your tire pressure on ALL the tires and then doing the reset. Instead of the alert going off when it hits say 20 #'s you can lower it to any number by setting ALL of the tires including the spare to a certain level and then resetting the the TPMS system.

Why do this? Some who off road a lot lower the tire pressure for better off road traction and the TPMS warning was annoying them a lot. Personally I like it to come on around 20 #'s to alert me.

7. Feb 14, 2008 at 5:12 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Welcome to TW, and what a great idea ! It's guys like you who make forums like ours work, keep it up. :D

Products Discussed in

To Top